Blender - 3DSimEd - rFactor2 (cars and tracks)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Johannes Rojola, Mar 12, 2013.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

This all sounds very good guys... I`m just starting to learn a bit about Blender so I won`t be able to offer much help I`m afraid but it would be (will be) great to be able to model cars etc and get them working in rf2...

I`m searching for tutorials on modelling cars and trying to learn what I can.

Really enjoying the process so far. I`ll keep an eye on this thread with great interest.

:)

2. Xorak

Xorak Registered

whats the situation right now?
    I'm not an student and i think i will need more time 2 get my project (a local cart track) done, especially if i need 2 learn 3dsmax first.

I would love 2 use Blender and wont hesitate 2 invest a few bucks into 3DSimED. But maybe there are better solutions?

Is ZModeler3 an (better) alternative 2 3DSimED?

3. Traveller

Traveller Member

The short answer is: Don't wait for these scripts. If you've got something to do, do it with whatever tool(s) will work.

The long answer is: I've ground to a halt. My tester and I both think that they're about 95% done for static GMT's. However, the last 5% means that something is Not Quite Right. I've sent out a full set of scripts to an individual. I've yet to receive any response, which is about what I expected. I've also posted the export only version of the scripts to a private forum of which I am a member. One download has been made of the scripts to this date. I've yet to receive any feedback.

I was going to post more, but I'm going to leave it at that.

4. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Darn that is really unfortunate. I was so hoping you would be able to overcome those obstacles :( What kind of feedback are you expecting? I'd like to be of help although I don't know anything about scripting and all that. I saw your questions regarding Blender across this board but I wasn't able to answer. :(

I'm in the same boat. If you make the jump to SimEd or Zmod please share your experience!

5. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

3dsimed doesnt support rf2 very well, especially the car shaders or anything related with reflections needed in rf2. I have used it for minor things like only to setup lights, motec.
    zmodeler 3 on other hand has far more plus you can do animations there to, edit the existing one and so on and on top of that you can even model there.

I own both and zmodeler is better for sure better choise. But nothing beats 3ds max now, its far best sofar and wont get you any issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
  6. Xorak

Xorak Registered

hmm k, i will try it with blender and zmodeler 3. Cant afforrd 3dmax. At first it's just for myself and 2 test if i'm able 2 match the track as it is in real life. Thus the look dont matter. Its "just" about the road, bumps, cerbs.

I looked at the "devs" docs about modeling. Its quite a bit difficult if you start from scretch 2 get a clue, about the complete workflow. Is there any simple example available for blender and zmodeler? Something like a little testcircle with pit and the start positions?

Thanks for your help and sorry for getting a bit OT.

7. Traveller

Traveller Member

Ideally something along the lines of the clarification of the finer points of GMT's. The same sorts of things I've been asking here for some time. Again, I feel I'm almost there as far as static GMT's are concerned and the scripts themselves are fairly solid-- though I did find one bug this week, and my tester presented me with another issue as well. Right now, car shaders and real road shaders don't appear quite right in game-- i.e. they're Not Quite Right. I'm sure others don't, as well, but cars and roads are rather visible in a racing game.

I'd throw it all away, but that wouldn't do right by my tester. He's been quite patient and is very good. In fact, he's contributed to the scripts directly. He works on a Mac and the Windows-centric nature of my scripts wasn't quite cutting it with him. He made the change so they'd work in all systems. One of these days I'll load up the scripts in Blender on the Linux half of my machine and take look.

8. yifter

yifter Registered

It would be really nice if you would keep it up Traveller! If I can help you somehow, dont hesitate to ask, i ask you now if you would be so kind to allow me the privilege to help you!

9. Traveller

Traveller Member

Do you know the nuts and bolts of GMT's? Figuratively speaking, of course, I know they don't really have nuts and bolts. That's what's needed right now.

Edit: How did I get in here? I thought the last week or so of this was in my Blender thread below. Really, I did. Sorry.

10. Trev Rich

Trev Rich Registered

So more than 3 years on.... does 3dSimed do the job now?
    Building in RTB, importing to 3dSimed then exporting out...

Mauro likes this.
  11. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Which job especifically?

BTB-3DSimEd-rF2 and rF1-3DSimEd-rF2 pipelines have been functional for years already.

With RTB there is no direct rF2 export but you can use AC export and do the changes later with 3dsimed. At least some months ago when I tried last time.

12. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

RTB also exports as .fbx which can be loaded into 3dsimed or Gjed.

SPASKIS likes this.
  13. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Yes it does, even better than 3ds max from my view. Dave updated it great in last year. The only thing i think Dave needs to be reminded is to update few shaders rf2 has now.

14. Skan

Skan Registered

Daz3D is another program (application) that will allow you to export an FBX file. It imports several file types as well so it could be used as a file converter.