Blender - 3DSimEd - rFactor2 (cars and tracks)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Johannes Rojola, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Hi all! I would like to know how the modding pipeline I described works currently or does it? I have been modding with 3D Studio Max as probably most of us, but I am now trying to completely leave Max behind as I have educated myself to work with Blender.

I know it is not possible to work directly from Blender to rF2, but with SimEd it could be possible? I downloaded the 20 days trial and it seems like there is lots of rF2 related stuff.

Is there something I should know, or does 3D SimEd lack something very essential? I am both car and track modder so I would like to know opinions of both areas before I go forward and buy the 3D SimEd.

Thanks a lot :)

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I really have a hard time understanding, why do you want to change things around in the first place???

You can work with 3DsMax, Gmotor stuff works great, and only, with 3DsMax. Still you want to switch to an open source thingie called Blender which isn't supported by Gmotor tools? Then you want to 'solve' support problem that using 3DSimEd?

Why bother, you are making things more complicated for yourself here.

3. Johannes Rojola

Max license costs 5000 dollars, and I feel that Blender is better when it comes to game modeling / unwrapping.

4. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Of course, every modder and visual artist around the globe has that kind of money to spend. As long as you either are a student, or don't use the software for commercial purposes, no harm done.

5. Johannes Rojola

The thing is, I am going to mod anyway even if it pays or not. But I don't want to rule out the possibility to make some extra money if such opportunity comes, as I've done before. It bothers me.

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Then, Blender is possibly the wisest way to go, but I don't know if the possible pocket money is worth the trouble...

7. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

I will tell you only that 3dsimed has big problems right now and i dont see any soon improvment there sofar. It depends alot from ISI to becase of the shaders how they change with builds.
    Ive tested months ago 3dsimedV3 and nothing worked like it should, waited for while and ive seen weeks ago some improvment on updates so buyed it and again really disapointed sofar to. Reflections on cars are just big mess now and diferente to 3ds max exporter is very visible there sofar.

8. Johannes Rojola

Thanks, exactly the information I was looking for. Guess I have to wait and see.

9. Traveller

Traveller Member

Getting there.

Alex72 likes this.
  10. Johannes Rojola

Damn, that would be like the greatest thing.

11. marcatore

marcatore Registered

blender is getting better every day.. should be very good to have an exporter for blender...

12. Steffen_M

Steffen_M Registered

I see Blender as a chance for Sim Racing Games like rFacor 2, because it is a free software an more people will try out to create 3d contents. So please implement a blender plugin for rFactor2!

13. yifter

yifter Registered

+1

14. Jello

Jello Registered

+2

I have been messing around with Blender because I'd like to have a crack at some 3D modelling of cars & Blender is thew easiest way to do if you aren't a student as other 3D programs are costly. I've found Blender simple to use, the backup, tutorials etc are really helpful. Maybe if enough people put it to Blender they'll come up with plugin for rF2.

15. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

16. marcatore

marcatore Registered

beautiful...!! very good job Traveller... I hope you can complete your blender tool...

17. tonquites

tonquites Registered

Hello, I am a 3D modeler and work with blender, I am a project, along with some friends to make a mod for rFactor 2, but from what I've read here in the forum is not there a tool to export models from Blender to rFactor2 .

Why the ISI, is losing the opportunity to have the support of a community as large as Blender, still not having released a tool export Blender> rFactor2?

If I do not get this export tool for Blender, I'll have to cancel the project, and expect this problem to be solved.

If anyone has any suggestions I will be grateful.

thank you very much
    Everton

18. Banger

Banger Registered

isi have never supported free modders programs. only max. I also use zmod2 ,the programmer had to do all most all of the work to get GMTS working.i hope traveller does come back to RF2, has in his other post his gone back to Rf1 too

19. sf4JC

sf4JC Registered

If I understand correctly, the functionality would be for both rF1 and rF2, anyway, I'm pretty sure he's working on both.

Scott

20. Traveller

Traveller Member

Alrighty, then. Asking for some help for the rF2 side of the project. This seems to be as good a place as any. Specific to this request is how the four UV coordinate sets in the Vertex data structure are determined. Also, bit flag values and meanings. There are more, of course, but this will suffice for 0.59.