Blackwater Lake TT (Track Layout Contest 2012 winner) - WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by KeiKei, Feb 25, 2013.

1. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Thanks tjc :) but it's not about quality. It's just I have to design whole city ;) , I'm not an architect and it's for me very challenging task. Actually, making the Interlagos is a piece of cake comparing to this track :)

I have thousands of ideas every day but with every new day all of my ideas from previous day are going to trash. I have ongoing headache because of that :p

But I don't complain. I like challenges :)

2. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Creating realistic buildings is very, very difficult. I feel your pain! I think it looks quite good, though. I like the overall direction.

3. feels3

Some early pre-alpha enviroment texturing tests ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. lbird

lbird Registered

Beautiful landscape. Don't forget the hiking trail, i may want to do something by foot between races ;)

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

What he means is a rally track. :p

6. feels3

Few more early-pre alpha tests, and back to Interlagos for few days. (right click to enlarge)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

8. vicent-sollana

vicent-sollana Registered

Another piece of art,:)

Cheers.

9. Segaman

Segaman Registered

Great! :cool:

10. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

LOOKING GREAT!!
    Just a thought fellas, one thing I notice with the tracks I've seen so far with few exceptions is how things look in the environment. I had an idea of what was "off", a theory rather, but today I actually took the time to investigate , if you will, the issue and see if my theory held any water. Well I think I may be on to something.

One thing I notice that seems to go a LONG way to the visuals is edges. The edges where objects meet others are to "clean". To sharp of a difference and to exact. The place where a building meets the ground is to precise, straight and clean. There needs to be some imperfections, so debris ,something to erase the sharp difference between the two objects.

I'll provide examples if I'm not clear.

11. feels3

I fully understand what you are saying. Actually I'm very sensitive with those things too :)

This is in my schedule but it's not at the top of the list. I will work on this at the end of the project.

Smooth transitions between objects, soft shadows, vertex painting, ambient occlusion and few other things are on my list. But first what I do is basic modeling and texturing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
  12. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I notice right off how your stuff looks fantastic compared to other stuff and the one thing I notice is how everything fits in the environment. Top notch stuff you have going on. I would, at the dismay of the purist probably, urge you to "take license" where reality and engine limitations meet at the section of visual detraction. In other words if you have a building somewhere that will be in the eye of the ..... you know what, forget it. You know what you're doing. I'm just gonna shut up and let the track master do his thing! lol
    But it's cool that you understand where I was coming from.

13. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

This track will be georgeous..

14. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

On a sidenote: Do you have any plans to retro-fit this for rf1? I can only imagine some of the rF1 mods on this track like Enduracers and the V8 mods would be an absolute blast.

15. feels3

No plans for rf1 ATM.

16. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Great job Keikei and feels3 :)

Thanks!

17. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Thanks! I'm pretty sure it's going to be very nice track. :)

18. lbird

lbird Registered

Great texturing on that bridge, by the way. What i really like on your texturing is the little imperfections (missing stones, uneven radii etc.). This is one of the main things for me which make it look real.....
    And of course KeiKei is doing a great job too - are only the two of you working on the track?

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Just curious, when r u guys going to test the layout (internally of course)?

20. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yes it's a paradox; making it imperfect is making it perfect! ;) That's also for me one of the reasons why I love his work. My responsibility for this track project is basically fulfilled but of course I will assist as much as I can when he needs my help/opinions. To be honest I don't think my help is needed because he's so good at creating 3D shapes and textures so I'm just testing his work and give my feedback/propositions. Maybe I'll try to learn and create AI for this track but it's still too early for that and it's also up to feels3 whether he even wants me to try that. We'll see when the time is right.

As far as I know we two are the only persons involved.