Billboards

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Simon Peace, May 27, 2012.

1. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

I have had difficulty in the past getting billboards to work. So I thought I would try again with build 85. I seem to be having more luck now, however I have noticed some problems with the Screen Aligned Quads selectors in the GMT exporter.

If I select the "base rotation" button (the one with the arrow pointing down) then the billboard is not centred in the correct space in the XY plane it is slightly offset and is also offset by 0.5 x the height of the panel (z axis). If I select the screen aligned quad center rotation (the one with the arrows pointing out in all directions) the billboard seems to be placed correctly (XY & Z).

Either there is a bug here or my understanding of which SAQ setting is confused by the description in the Track Tech document.

Can someone help?

2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

I've struggling with this also, but it's not actually "bug" but more or less "feature".

There are few key points, which need to be accomplished.

Lets say we are making single plane rotating tree, for instance.

- vertex numbering of the plane must be correct. Top left 1, top right 2, bottom left 3 and bottom right 4. Sometimes flipping normals is required to get correct numbering order. Remember flip plane's quad top-left to bottom-right (between vertex 1 and 4)

- pivot point must be set to bottom of the plane, to the centerline (between vertex 3 and 4) and z - axis must point up.

- assign materian and map it and replace plane's (or poly's...) alpha to something else than 100

- on gmt exporter "screen aligned quad", check "BB" and base of rotation "bottom". Same time is good to setup LOD in/out distances, shading- and shadows options. Export object and check out result (I miss so much simple scene viewer... ;) )

- If you still have unwanted result (object is rotated on wrong axis), reset xform and check pivot orientation again.

Cheers!