Big Trouble at Longford

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BoothJoe, Nov 19, 2015.

1. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

This is a new post that had a discussion that started in the post about people migrating to Steam and losing the one-year subscription they paid for when they originally bought the game. This discussion was way off-topic so I decided to start a new one.
    The off-track discussion revolved around Longford (Eve and Spark F3) and my consistently poor performance there. I'm running the AI at 73 percent and they are still faster than me and my best lap has been in the mid 2:50s. DurgeDriven replied "I raced 115% ai there the other night online had no trouble 2:36." So let's pick up from there.

I can't see a 2:36. That's 20 seconds faster per lap. I see the AI posting those kinds of times, and I just can't see where I could make up 20 seconds per lap, so let's talk. Because I want to get better.
    The differential bothers me because Longford is mostly a flat-out, foot to the firewall kind of track. I'm sometimes able to overtake in the long straights, but mostly I keep with the flow. I have two "bad" areas. The first is at the end of the homestretch. There's a weak right, followed by another weak right and then the sharp left under the viaduct. I'm coming to the second right in fifth, but unless I downshift into 4th, I can't hold the car straight into the viaduct left. Too high a speed and the car will snap left before I start to brake or downshift. The AI fly by me here (or slam into my rear, sending me spinning into the weeds). The second "bad" spot is the slow left over the long bridge before Lowry Corner. Again, if I come off the bridge too fast, I get an immediate jerk to the left, so I downshift into second in the straight area before the end of the bridge. If I don't I can't keep it under control. My best place to overtake is in the Longford Corner where I can latebrake and catch a couple of cars accelerating out of that corner.
    I've used the rubber on the road to determine if I'm really braking too early, for example, and losing a lot of speed in the corners, but I find my "marks" are where the rubber tends to start, so that tells me I'm not that far off. But with them at 73%, I just shouldn't be in last place consistently. So would someone please share their wisdom?

2. Emery

Emery Registered

Go visit Durge's server (!!!F3 Rookies) and he'll walk you through it. Patiently. He'll even arrange a mutually agreeable time if you can't find him online at some odd hour :cool:

Hmm, I was hoping to spot an F3 video for Longford, but couldn't find one. A couple BT20 videos, a Matra V12, an Eve F1...

[edit] Oh, wait, here's a lap in a Spark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoNaLUnzDIw

[edit2] Since I'm in a try-it-and-see attitude tonight, I just ran the default setup F3 Eve around Longford (For some reason without engine sound! But that's a different story, I think) on a green track. 1:42.7 on first timed lap. I know I was braking early and slow shifting (watched the tach bounce under the viaduct both laps). Durge usually has a well-rubbered track to aid him in teaching.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  3. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

Tonight I tried something different. I decided to try the paddle rather than the H shifter. It's not what I want to do, but I needed to find out some stuff. With the paddle shifter, my best lap was a 2:48 (compared to a 2:55 with the shifter). The key, I quickly learned, was keeping both hands on the wheel (as Jim Morrison sang: "Keep your eyes on road, yo hands upon the wheel."). When the car got a little squirrely in the areas where I would normally go off track, I was able to compensate with both hands on the wheel. I also suspect that as I was shifting with my right hand, I was unknowingly moving the wheel with my left. If it started to skid, the force feedback would be too much to handle one handed. With the paddles, I ran a 10 lap race with the 73%, qualified on the pole. led every lap and finished with a three-second lead over Ernest Hemingway in his tropic colored Eve 3. I ran every lap clean...no running into the dirt, no off-track adventures. I was braking later because I could now control it. The ability to downshift faster made a huge difference, too. Also my lap to lap deviation was a lot better. I learned a lot in this adventure tonight. I'm still **** but sentient ****. At least tonight. Tomorrow, I'm sure, it will be back to the same old stuff. I'll have to try increasing the deadzone on the steering wheel to find out if I'm correct that I'm moving the wheel just enough when I'm shifting to cause rubber/grass contact.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I do 2:36

I never said I am fast lol

Hector did a 2:35.1 with me , fastest I seen no tow lap.

Mat, Dalek and others do 35's as well.

I boot up the server in 30 minutes, jump in Joe.

5. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Fastest no tow I managed was a 2:34.9 (i'm sure it was on your server D)

That was many many builds ago though. Need to give it a blast again soon.

6. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

It's 1 a.m. here in Hershey, Pennsylvania. And they kind of expect me to be at work tomorrow...uh. today. In a couple of hours.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Waited a while too hot anyways really, 37C here still, GTX970 was in the High 60s idling.

Not the best for CPU/GPU, just imagine reviews bench testing everything at 37C ambient.

Tomorrow is even hotter 40C

Don't know if you can see this
    http://weather.9news.com.au/local-forecast/nsw/richmond

Okay on Saturday I be on at 12 noon your 8PM , cool change coming.

8. bwana

bwana Registered

Dd will sort you out.. Found best to not change down to 2nd to early, hold off until engine braking of 3rd has settled. Pb 2 .36 but l run a fairly full tank as it feels better..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  9. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I may be able to do that. Please confirm your server name. I'm on the road most of the day Saturday, but I should be back home bore 8 p.m. my time. I'll be driving 400 miles to go get my son for our Thanksgiving holiday next week, so coming home and driving online will fit right in. But I can't guarantee it.

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

np BJ, anytime.

Room is " ! ! F3-Rookies " right below Bryan "BB" Birtwells F3-Fanatics.

If you click on game name and refresh both ways you will see them near the top in the first 10 rooms or so

Me and BB started with 2 hyphens and as you see people keep adding them hehehe

Like it is too hot today by midday it will be 38C

Saturday morning I have to go out but I plan to be home before well before 12, see you then.

Forecast is showing a 17C drop to a nice 24C should be gr for lapping.

11. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Durge do you run the historic F3s on this server? Do you run the F1 60s era cars?

I feel a lack of love for these things. They really make you either love life or want to give up on it. :p

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  13. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

8-8:40 p.m. U.S EST no such server found.

14. bwana

bwana Registered

Should be there ? did you search trying locations perhaps?

also note server name ! ! F3-Rookies

15. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

There is a !!F3 Fanatatics at Sebring. A Longford are four servers...none of them !!F3-Rookies.

16. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

When you get the multiplayer listing, what is the difference between the red listings and the yellow listings? What does the x in the box in front of the series name mean? I'm running on Steam. Does that make a difference? I thought it wasn't going to matter. I've not done any multiplayer because I'm **** so I'm not sure if there's some setup stuff I'm missing or even what to do once I get to a track. I thought it might be intuitive...but that was probably a bad assumption.

17. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I think Durge's Saturday 12pm is your Friday 8pm

18. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

Well, then. I guess I should be driving a Delorean then, huh?

19. bwana

bwana Registered

Red listing is the build you currently have ,yellow is either and older or newer build. The X means you havnt downloaded all files (mod/tracks /rfmod)for that server . Once you have driven on that server and its current combo you will notice a tick replaces the X

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
  20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

AFAIK it doesnt matter, lots of people come from steam to our server with no probs, I guess its the same for all servers.

Ive done 3 years of multiplayer almost every day and I'm still ****.
    Dont get intimidated, just say hi when you enter a room and you will probably get a setup if you ask.

Though I highly recommend to learn the track with default setup so you recognise the benefits of a good one.

Again dont get intimidated, we all started as noobs, many of us (me lol) still are.