Beta Client failing to Validate New Content

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by The Great Apt, May 5, 2020.

1. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

1. Beta Client failing to Validate New Content
    2. environment:
      Window 10 Pro 1909
    3. Steps to reproduce:
      Install and load into the open Beta in Steam;
      Install new DLC (I only happened to do this with paid content);
      Load game, the game will install the package and allow you to play.
    4. Expected Result:
      Expected that, once the DLC has been loaded into the game, the player should be able to use MAS2 to create custom series, this does not happen.
    5. Actual Result:
      Player will be able to play the new content in-game, but when trying to create a new series with MAS2, none of the layouts for the content will be presented as an option to choose.
      When running the non-beta, the game will run a 'validating software' step; this process is missing from the beta version.
    6. Visual Proof (screenshots, videos, text):
      I can provide some on Discord (Apey) if required; sorry, I don't use any online image-management sites.
    7. Severity/Priority:
      imo, if user-error can be ruled out, this would rank as 'Severe'; customers must have full access to their DLC, which is not provided by the beta due to what appears to be a missing 'validation' step.

TL-DR; It looks like the beta-ui doesn't validate content, which prevents MAS2 from recognising the DLC as a valid install and causes MAS2 to restrict access to it. You can still play the content, just can't use MAS2 to create custom events.

EDIT: Something similar can also be seen when doing a fresh install directly into the beta branch. the game will refuse to load (CTD); you will need to revert to non-beta, and non-beta will run a series of validates/checks before installing all of the DLC. Once complete you can then move to the beta branch.

EDIT 2: This was seen Nords 1.50 and 1.51 loaded at the same time, but this was also seen with:
    a) only Nords 1.50,
    and
    b) only Nords 1.51.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

The Great Apt likes this.
  3. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

ADSTA likes this.
  4. The Great Apt

The Great Apt Registered

Hi Adsta, I went over the link you provided again, also did a system search for:

ServerKeys.bin;
    and
    ServerUnlock.bin, neither of which are present. This was expected as, at this stage, I'm not trying to create a server, simple create a custom race event, ala:

I'm going to leave the bug report as is, as there is imo a definite issue between the beta and non-beta clients.
    Perhaps the clearest way to see this would be a fresh install of rf2, but installing fresh with the beta version...only advised for those with Gigabit connections!

The fresh beta install will not run until you opt out, and run the game in the old/current UI; it is that old/current UI that runs the validation stage which is missing from the beta ui.

Once you've done that you can opt back into the beta, and the beta will run and the missing layouts from my upload will be present.

Thanks again.