Best way to update after build 90 ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bsmooth, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

Got into this ages ago, and then got iRacing, so as you can tell from my build its been ages without an update. I read the 382 build thread and noticed the advice to nt do a normal auto update. Well I tried it anyways and after 2 hours it hung at 60% loading cars and tracks.
    I also saw that you should download the lite update and load that on top of what I already have.
    I downloaded it last night. Now whats the best way, step by step to update my Rfactor 2 ?
    Also do I need to update all my cars as well, just download them and install them ?
    I know I should have kept it up, but I have to catch up somehow.
    Just for some info I also had Project CARS, but I have now deleted it off my HD. I thought the first build was great , but after 2 or 3 updates it basically became unplayable, the framerates were terrible, so for me it was a waste of money.
    I'm hoping just like the original Rfactor (which I had) Rfactor2 just keeps getting better and better.

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Your best bet would be to uninstall and reinstall with the latest build. I would make sure that you back up anything you want to save, though there are likely a lot of car updates that you should download instead of installing the previous packages. Backup the appdata\.rF2 or what ever it's called as well, it has your registration information. You don't need to delete it, just back it up.

3. Maug

Maug Registered

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I actually LOL'ed. Yeah, uninstall, nuke everything and start fresh. Don't keep old mods or anything- nuke n' pave.

5. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

So I take I better do the full 1GB install instaed of the lite install ? It took 1/2 hour to download for just the lite install.
    I'm using an old TSW 2 wheel, and it took weeks to get it configured right. What exactly should I keep to not lose anything ?
    Yea I know its been awhile, but the old Spa track memories got me to come back eventually.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I'd use Lite.

7. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

So I downloaded the full install , but now your recommending a lite install instead ?
    As I said before which files should I backup for my wheel settings, Liscense and so on ?
    So I shouldn't uninstall, and just run the lite install ?

8. Daytona 675

Daytona 675 Registered

For the license C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Roaming , save the folder called ".rFactor"
    For the wheel settings your modified controller, and maybe the PLR?

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The only difference between lite and content (no installers are called full, people said full as a descriptive word) is that content comes with some pre-installed cars, which you can install in about 20 seconds onto the lite. Once you know what you are doing, lite is the installer to use. Content only exists because of the amount of "hey, rf2 has no content included!?!?!?11" emails we got from people who didn't understand they could add content.

The content you have is likely all out of date, and should all be deleted. Uninstalling is a good bet, REINSTALLING with lite.

I wouldn't bother backing up anything, it's all out of date.

You don't need to backup your license to simply reinstall rF2, as being advised above. It isn't removed when you uninstall.