Best RACING simulator? rFactor, iRacing and Live for Speed?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by sWEat, Aug 14, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This is sort of my point. I hate, loathe and despise that unpredictable Hell-born tendency in iRacing where the cars just suddenly get a life of their own.
    That thing you describe, where you've driven consistent laps, lap after lap, for nearly a whole race, and suddenly the rear tires just decide to give up without warning.
    You risk being thrown off the track anywhere at any time, with no indication that it's about to happen.
    At least that never happens in rF2. Which is also porbably why I'm an rF2 guy... ;)

2. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Does iRacing allow you to sample content before buying? If not, why not?

3. Hoogs

Hoogs Registered

iRacing allows new subscriptions to try thier software for 3 months at the price of one.
    To own all the content on iRacing you're looking at $1000.00 roughly.
    But you're likely not going to buy all the content. Most people do road racing or oval racing, and a few do both.

To me iRacing has value on a whole. It truly is a service not just software. What I have noticed is that iRacing and RF2 feel different in two major ways. FFB and braking. IMO accomplished drivers of either title have trouble adjusting to these differences and thier egos convince thier brains the other SIM sucks.

Neither is perfect, but they're both pretty awesome. Learn to adapt your driving style and tweak setups and essentially you don't notice a lot of the difference in the end. Haters always gonna hate. I don't have time for that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't think it is a serious question just another BS compare thread. :p

Like why in your right mind would you consider iracing for drifting ffs !@! you would be banned wouldn't you ?

You purposely left out AC and pCARS from question

Get Shift :rolleyes:

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It really depends on what you want to drive. For modern GT and formula cars, rF2 is the best I have ever tried. Realroad changes the way you race and the tire model is awesome in rF2. For historics, rF2 is not a very good sim but AC is shaping up to be great (mostly due to the clutch and drivetrain). However AC is still a while away from having weather, it doesn't look like it'll have realroad and the online right now is not very well implemented. I have heard that iRacing has great drivetrain and we know it is the ultimate for oval racing and pubby racing. iRacing has great online, it is not moddable and it's expensive.

6. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

I haven't tried IRacing but I do understand what you describe about trying to find tenths in real life. In comparison to Rfactor 2 where if you come out of the corner before the longest straight just right you gain 4 tenths on that alone. In Rfactor 2 You tend to get it just right maybe 1 in 5 laps where in real life its more consistent and less extreme effect on lap times/sector gains.

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I have put on full body armor and will try and share my experience here:

I have kinda the opposite experience when talking iRacing and rF2.

I find that in rF2 I have an easier time putting in consistent laps over a long period of time.
    This is mainly due to all the little subtleties in the ffb. It allows to feel when I'm close to overheating the tires etc.
    I can then back off a bit on certain corners until the tires are more sorted, and start pushing again.

The complexity of the ffb in rF2 allows me to avoid disasters before they happen, whereas in iRacing the disasters just happen without warning in most cars.
    This is what I find so off-putting about that sim. The lack of "feel" that makes me feel more like a passenger than a driver.

BIG disclaimer: the above is my, personal, subjective opinion.
    I know this is a forum which should have room for such things, but a few people are getting extremely high strung these days for some reason.
    Kinda get the feeling of being trapped in a pit full of yipping little lap-dogs. Very tiresome and not good for my ankles :rolleyes:
    I am not talking on behalf of anyone else but myself. So there's no need to get all emotional. :)

8. OldDarth

OldDarth Registered

Best bang for the buck, great physics, and possessing that elusive intangible - it's FUN!

And criminally overlooked....

Game Stock Car Extreme aka Game Stock Car 2013.

9. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

Absolutely Rfactor 2 gives amazing feedback which assists in making the cars more drivable. Strictly stating the differences in sim racing and real life racing to my experience. Thinking about it more, it's probably got more to do with the risks we are willing to take in a sim vs real life.

For example. Lime rock park with the Megane. The last corner I can average about 195 kph but on occasion if I get it right I can go 205-210 kph which takes a huge chunk out of lap times for that lap and the next. But there is too much risk because 1/2 the time when you attempt to go round at that speed you get on the grass and hit the wall. This would nearly kill you in real life so such risks aren't taken (except for the testically blessed drivers like Senna and Jackie Stewart)

I haven't tried Iracing and probably never will due to pricing structure. Not that I cant afford it...I can, but out of principle I won't. I do not believe we should pay that amount of money to rent a game.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Iracing -great sim, excellent ffb/physics best for complete series of quality tracks & an online structure , pricing structure expensive when compared

rfactor 2 -great sim about the best physics/ffb , fragmented track quality & series, private online league is recommended

LFS -ground breaking in 2005 & still can pretty fun, needing serious updates to be at the same level as above two

( not much out there for me apart from Iracing & ISI /&based titles, -LFS for now due to dk2 support )

(Pcars / AC / codemasters titles of not much interest to me although I try to be now & again lol )

11. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

If ISI would release a dedicated drift car/track for rFactor 2, I am sure it would be on par with AC. Besides, like others said, AC and rFactor 1 are probably the best choice for drifting at the moment, with rFactor 1 being a more complete sim than AC because the latter lacks almost everything which is needed for a proper RACING sim like the OP wrote: No damage, no pitstops, no stalling, no clutch torque, no jump starts/proper manual starts and pretty bad multiplayer quality so far.

So yeah, if I had to recommend a title for drifting for a beginner, I'd recommend rFactor 1 I think because it is a complete package and offers you a lot more. This is an rFactor 1 example for drifting:

12. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Do yourself a favor and decide for yourself. They all use a different approach to achieve the same thing. Don't take what this person or that person said as the holy grail. Everyone has there own opinion on which one is the "best". I belive there isn't one. You'll find flaws in all of them, some you'll notice right away, someone you'll notice with time.

You being an inexperienced sim racer the only thing your going to notice regardless of which sim you purchase is the first corner you hit your going to go off track in a completely straight line no matter how hard you turn the wheel.

I will tell you what sims I use. Asseto corsa, rfactor 2, Game stock car, Race 07 series, and Live4Speed have one time fees, if you don't like them. You still at least have a product and you don't have to renew anything to keep playing them. GTR 2 is an older sim but worth having in your library, cheap too. Rfactor 1 as well.

Not sure on Pcars if it is subscription based or not but also worth looking at. Myself I haven't tried it, have enough on my plate already.

Iracing has a monthly fee but if your new you can get a few months deal which is plenty of time to try it out with the free cars, don't like them? Let your subscription lapse. You just can't use it offline.

RaceRoom is free but the content you purchase, it does come with free cars to try out.

Try them all if you can, you may find you like one better than the other, but they all aim towards the same thing, simulation. Asseto corsa does have cars and a drift track if that's the only thing your looking for but with a few setup changes you can achive the same effect in all the other sims as well. But you not being familier with racing simulations your going to find even that hard at first.

No offense to anyone but he being a new sim racer, he should experience them all and be able to differentiate them all. No sense on being bias. Sometimes the sim racing community can be cult like.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
  13. 7xu5

7xu5 Registered

if you are looking for a simulator, the first to seek a finished product, rfactor unfortunately is incomplete and will be unfinished for a long time. therefore currently only opt for iRacing is the only one that is actually finished, the rest still has many flaws.

the rest we only have very few promises and realities.

14. Minibull

Minibull Member

Oh, iRacing is finished, is it? Well, I guess they forgot to add in that driver swap feature they have had sitting there for years now. And the model updates. And the sound updates. Not to mention the content updates. Good to see their finished product includes weather and an actual dynamic day night cycle too.

You know those times where you write a post and then think "What's the point, really..." Yeah. :rolleyes:

15. 7xu5

7xu5 Registered

Ok, I think it is a reality too obvious to argue about it

16. Phatboy

Phatboy Registered

What New tire Model is iracing on now? 5? 6? 7?

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I think it's about 900th seems to change every darn update

18. Minibull

Minibull Member

Nah shoosh man, it's finished aye...can't wait to see iRacing 2 now XD

19. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Kunos claims the Assetto Corsa release candidate is nearing release, and it will have some interesting features
    http://www.assettocorsa.net/assetto-corsa-release-candidate-news/

20. Traxx

Traxx Registered

Tons of Iracing bagging in here......

For me, Iracing is probably the closest you will get to real racing. In terms of the physics of the cars and the tire model (although its not perfect and Rf2 has some things iracing doesnt in the tiremodel....which is why i like rf2.)

That said, Rf2 is pretty good from what I have played.

I guess the best thing i can say is that the karts feel really close to how they do in real life.

I actually race in the TaG series here in Aus and I run a 125cc Rotax.

Whilst the pickup from standstill seems wrong in Rf2 for the karts (wayyyyyy to long, my kart will take maybe 1 or 2 seconds to run off the clutch and start to hit band etc, in rf2 it takes forever for it to come onto some type of power etc) the rest feels pretty damn close. The way the karts bounce and skip if the rear has too much bite and just over bumps in general feels very realistic to me. Once you are where the power is it also slides and kicks out the rear end JUST like my kart can , which for almost every kart sim ive ever played, this never happens.......

So tbh they are both close in terms of best sim. Iracing you will generally always get good races (once you get your irating up and join races at the right time) + theres always a league / ladder etc, its just more....integrated....

As for drifting, you can actually drift the v8supercars in Iracing pretty damn well when you get used to them, but not like proper drift cars. For that stuff goto the other games like others suggested. (RF1 / RF2 with the drift mod things or LFS or something)