Best RACING simulator? rFactor, iRacing and Live for Speed?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by sWEat, Aug 14, 2014.

1. sWEat

sWEat Registered

Which one of the above is the best? I am buying a G25 this saturday, and I can't choose between those awesome racing simulators.
    I am gonna do mainly drifting in it, since burning tires in real life turns out to be expensive :p

[​IMG]

2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

If you want the best racing simulator, you should go for rFactor2 no doubt.

If you want to drift I'd say go for Assetto Corsa. It is immensely entertaining to drift in that game.

Sendt fra min LG-E400 med Tapatalk2

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The only current, proper game that has drifting accounted for is Assetto Corsa. iRacing is the worst option for that.

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

iRacing has random inexplicable drifting built into it though. So if you like it when a race car suddenly and without warming loses all rear traction, go for iR lol!

Sendt fra min LG-E400 med Tapatalk2

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Your posts are not helpful to the original poster, you are deliberately nitpicking and attacking other games for your own reasons. Although it makes no sense posting that question in a rF2 dedicated forum.

6. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Assetto Corsa is great all round. Physics are one of the best if not the best on PC atm. Graphics are decent also and has the best mods. It has a larger community too.

Definitely recommend rF2 and AC. Stay away from iracing, to expensive and imo has the worst physics but the best for online racing :)

7. Domi

Domi Registered

If you want to buy a game for drifting, clearly Live for Speed is the best choice.

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Try looking six replies further up... The #2 post. Half a scroll should do it.
    That isn't helpful..? Pfft.

And our points are almost exactly the same.
    Drifting = go for AC.
    Want drifting? = avoid iRacing.

Then I had some fun at iRacing's expense because certain aspects of that sim's physics are laughable at best.
    I did that because I felt like it at the time.

But yeah, do attack blindly left and right.
    That's helpful. :rolleyes:

Back to the topic then...

9. Adrian

Adrian Registered

For drifting id say rf1 as theres so much drift related content for it.

10. Radon711

Radon711 Registered

For a packaged simulator I'd vote for rFactor 2 - It has the AI, changeable conditions, real road and needless to say the tyres are amazingly done, despite being unfinished. Although if one would crave more of a Motorsport structure that is primarily Online, with divisions and licensing systems to co-ordinate your path, iRacing would be the way to go.

It's a bit of a dead horse but also the car damage aspect in iRacing is a little better cosmetically but rF2 does have accurate mechanical damages which again, is another trade-off.

Personally, I can't take Assetto Corsa too seriously as a simulator. My track time IS limited but the communication between car and driver without the gravity perception is just, a lot better in iRacing and rF2. Infact, it's nearly even. Nearly.

Apologies, I forgot about Live For Speed - Fun for back in the day, pretty useful today but in comparison it is like buying an aged, light alcoholic beverage

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  11. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Rfactor 1: low price, thousands of free mods, millions of free tracks, best multiplayer, hundreds of private leagues to choose from.
    IRacing: Nice. Good multiplayer. Nice progression system. Too expensive since you need to keep paying for this and that.
    Assetto Corsa: Best graphics. Too many things to be implemented yet. One of the future top sims along with Rfactor 2.
    Rfactor 2: Nice graphics if you have a top computer. Best physics around. Most things needed are implemented. Some leagues are already using it. One of the future top sims along with Assetto.
    Game Stock Car: A bit of everything above. Nice physics. The best for a begginer in my opinion. Not the most popular one.
    Live for Speed: A bit outdated. A very loyal fan base.
    Richard Burns Rally: The option for rally type drivers.
    PCars: Not released yet.
    Simraceway: Never used.
    Race series from Simbin: A good option like rfactor 1. Bit outdated but in overall they´re nice sims.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  12. HelderPimenta

HelderPimenta Registered

Drifting in a modern Sim? Assetto Corsa, hands down.

13. tinroofer

tinroofer Registered

All the above have their strengths and weaknesses, it just depends on what you're looking for. As some above posters have said, Assetto Corsa would be your best choice if you're mainly interested in drifting.

On a more general level; iRacing has the best physics and tyre model (the ntmv5 was a big improvement on prior iterations) of all the above, by far, but its very expensive, and particularly unforgiving of mistakes in even the lowest end cars available (of which there is nowhere near the amount compared to rf1/2 for example). RF2 has a more casual feel to it compared with iR in terms of physics, tyre model and what you can get away with in the cars, and you have a lot more leeway for mistakes, but overall I feel its more fun as a sim than iR is, and certainly much easier to improve at.

I don't think its fair currently to compare either of the above to Assetto Corsa, given the fact that its still very much a work in progress. All in all though it has the potential to be as good if not better, eventually, than either of the above, given enough time.

14. bwana

bwana Registered

Probably is fair to compare AC with RF2 as both are still updating their core. RF2 released beta a lot earlier than AC and this had the advantage of using the community to give input and have thousands of hours of track time tested by users.. The result is RF2 has a much more refined physics feel , time will tell to see if AC can match RF2 in that department over time .. ISI it seems are much more concerned with getting the cars to feel REAL than draw in numbers with glitz and glamour.. Pcars on the other hand is the polar opposite to both. (all about glitz ..so far)

15. tinroofer

tinroofer Registered

Hmm... I was under the impression that RF2 had pushed into the polish and refinement phase, but being relatively new to RF2 compared to iR etc, I'm sure you would know better than I would. Good news tbh, as there are a few things that I find can be slightly iffy about RF2 currently, and I assume they will be addressed if they're still making core changes. Pcars I couldn't comment on as I've really no experience with it at all, but it certainly does seem from what I've seen to be all about the visuals as you say - though I do find it pretty impressive on that score if nothing else.

16. bwana

bwana Registered

I guess the definition of finished and beta is a bit grey really, both are getting better and that's a plus for all users.

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

rF2 feels casual compared to iRacing? Haven't heard that one before. ;)

18. yusupov

yusupov Registered

rf2 doesnt on occasion 'casually' kick your car into a wall; and yeah this is still happening in iracing. so if that makes it more casual, id agree it is.

19. tinroofer

tinroofer Registered

Lets remember that everything above is of course my subjective opinion :)

What I found was that with iRacing I had to be extremely careful constantly, in every car, and can only build a tenth here and there, the same way when you're actually out on a track in a real car, and for me, the physics match real life closer than any other sim. Now when it came to rFactor 2 (and I'll admit right off the bat I'm fairly new to Rf2) I could just chuck the cars around, carrying speed through bends that you just couldn't carry on a real track without either binning the car or putting it into a barrier/gravel pit, and even when violently shifting the weight I found it pretty controllable in comparison to iR. Then add in the fact that I could pick up full seconds on laps with very little practice time on a track or in a specific car and it just felt less accurate, realism wise, than iR.

Im not trying to big up iR or anything, because I have much more fun in rF2 and I'm putting far more hours into it nowadays, I'm just laying out how each sim feels to me, as per the OP's question.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If all you want to do is drift then get rFactor 1 or Assetto Corsa. There are a TON of good drift car and track mods for rFactor 1.

If you want to experience the depth and scope of what is involved in pushing a car around corners connected by straightaways then get rFactor 2 and Game Stock Car. I cwnnot recommend iRacing due to the ridiculous price (subscription AND payed content?? It should, at the most, just be one or the other, not both). AC is good too, but just continues on and on of having too many "funny"/weird moments for me.