Bathurst 1.0 Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

It's like with the nords project. If you tweak one section of track, it then doesn't work right with the rest, not to mention the effort involved.
    If it cost as much as iracings, then I would expect it to be bang on for sure.

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

What doesn't cost money, but is obviously an incredibly tedious pain in the butt to get rid of considering that just about EVERY rF2 track, made by ISI or others, is plagued by it, are the flashing textures caused in part by when textures are overlayed closely together (typically advertising banners, but also armco and walls, sections of trees, etc.).

For the love of god, is there no way to get rid of this universally in a core programming change? For 10 years I have been reading instructions how if you are just careful enough and adjust cam settings just right, you might get rid of this. Well, I just took the brand new GTR out on the brand new Bathurst and before even making to the first uphill section there are 3 or 4 glaring cases of this problem. On a track that is otherwise stunning and done by the best! Almost every track has them...often in very distracting line-of-sight locations.

I don't see any of these in the original PCars track, which has even more details and stuff crammed into it.

</rant off>

3. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've seen absolutely no flashing textures at all in this track, karma....

5. AceLain

AceLain Registered

6. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

I have no problem with loading the tracks, but I can't run more than a couple of laps without getting a black screen and a message that the video driver crashed and recovered. The only other track I get this with is VLM's Le Mans.

I'm running the latest build and latest NVidia drivers.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

No, you are just blind to them. Lucky you. I won't bother posting a video like I did for Portugal 2.0, since some people refuse to see regardless.

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

:confused:
    Ok sure bruh...

Edit: Nope, no flickering textures on my end.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I won't argue Marc with that.

But what value is all that flicker free background worth if it drives and handles like a steam roller ?

hehehe ;)

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I don't get any flickering....period!

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Me neither.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Let me suggest since the flickering is affected by which car you are in, the cam view and probably some other settings, too, that you just haven't seen them yet. I already painstakingly confirmed on 20 other tracks, including video of Portugal 2.0, that it's not some peculiarity of my rig that is producing the flickering. Track authors have been battling this problem and discussing techniques to resolve it for about 8 or more years. I guess they are all just wasting their time.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ering-textures?p=350997&viewfull=1#post350997

and,

Search the forums for years of discussion--I don't want to derail this thread about Bathurst further.

So for about the fiftieth time, some of you are seriously not seeing these flickering textures? If so, could you please share your magically working settings with the rest of us?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Those are billboards intersecting each other while rotating to face your POV. There is not a solution since they are closed each other. If a track maker want to avoid that he has to keep a "tree" space between 2 billboards, so they don't intersect during the rotation.

Problem is when you need to simulate a forest or a place with LOT of trees.

I just hope you don't drive that slow to search which set of billboards are intersecting.... ;)

14. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I guarantee you he does.

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Don't have to. The flashing is a very obvious distraction even at top speed. And the same problem apparently affects windows and doors of buildings, lines on tracks, etc.

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Oh I thought we were only talking Bathurst here, and not flickering on any of the ISI tracks.

I don't see flickering on Bathurst.

I do see flickering on some other tracks.
    Do I care? Nope.
    Does it hamper or detract from my racing experience? Nope.
    Have we been given the same explanation Tuttle just gave a million times before? Yup.

Give it a rest. We know there flickering here and there.
    We know there are running shadows here and there.
    Just focus and drive faster, and you won't notice that stuff.
    Some day there'll be a fix. Until then, just enjoy the racing.

Personally, I don't have time to let that sort of stuff annoy me.
    That's a choice I make. I know this place is also a place for reporting bugs, and that's fine by me.
    But when a problem has been reported to the devs a gazillion times, and they themselves are totally aware of it, no need to whip that dead horse anymore. :)

Anyway, back on topic, I'll just give another huge shout out to mianiak and ISI for this amazing piece of mountain road.
    It is so immersive, so much fun, so challenging and risky.
    It's like it hypnotizes me. A ten lap race feels like 5 mins. A 30 lap race feels like 10 mins.
    I don't know how I will ever be able to move on to other tracks and let this one rest, I really don't.

17. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Thanks ISI. 2015 is RF2 year.

18. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I had the same with the latest Nvidia drivers and this is clearly a Nvidia problem (has nothing to do with rF2, have seen crash reports from firefox users :D). My current solution is to limit the framerate in "Player.json" ("Max Framerate":63, for a 60Hz monitor) and it works like a charm so far. No more driver crashes when the GPU is not always at 100%.

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/NsightVisualStudio/2.2/Documentation/UserGuide/HTML/Content/Timeout_Detection_Recovery.htm

19. shiet

shiet Registered

The Howstons are very slow on this track and also they usually run off after the "Conrod straight" into "The Chase".
    We can also gain a bunch of time on them (not just Howstons but in every car) at "John Hinxman Vista" (before the "Skyline") because there is a big dip for unknown reason so the AI slows down there. The big dip before the braking zone in "Mountain straight" is also very unnecessary.

map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ma_street_racing_circuit_in_Australia.svg.png

Btw I can go through those "lightweight tubular gates".

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  20. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

What laptime do you mean by slow ?