Bathurst 1.0 Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 10, 2015.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Can you post a video (at racing speed not sat in the pits or doing 1mph!) of Bathurst please if you can? You say "... and I think it is like that to everybody." yet many in this thread say different, this will help us & ISI to actually see what you are seeing.

Also with a clean nVidea CP or CCC and a fresh JSON file so that way we know it's an install that hasn't been messed with in any way, thanks :)

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Had a look at this in devmode, because I can't load it (unedited, which I haven't done yet) on the other side.

Interrupting flickering for a sec, back to this:

And not singling you out Obbzy, you were just the first dipper quote I found while going backwards through the thread...

The dipper seems pretty close to me. Reference? Side view while parked at the dipper in game, and google street view to check the real thing. Chase cam and street view are both kept level and provide the horizon as reference. I haven't done a screenshot and overlay comparison (I don't think the exact same position is available in both anyway), but you can get your car on a decent angle in game. It doesn't look as steep as it would feel, but it never does (people tend to imagine a 45° slope would be fairly difficult to walk up/down... when really it's more like 30°).

It's a shame the track cameras are nothing like the real ones, probably hides how good the layout actually is.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The iRacing (laser scanned) version looks steeper than this from what onboard video I've found, that's the only way (for me) to know if it's life like 100% but alas I don't own that game and probably never will.
    Of course we can compare images and video all we want, I just know from actually standing on it that it's one steep mutha of section of road :D

4. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

We have been given the same explanation Tuttle gave http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/26288-Bathurst-Now-Available?p=384454&viewfull=1#post384454 many times before.
    ISI know there are flickering and running shadows etc. Some day there will be a fix. Until then, just enjoy the racing.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

6. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

It is not big issue MarcG. You rely have to look to notice flickering. Latest ISI tracks are fine. :)

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok not a big issue, glad to hear it :)

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I don't see them on any cams. Experience is the same throughout.

9. 88mphTim

It did! I couldn't go reliably to run a race without the fix. :)

10. 88mphTim

Is there any driver side setting that could be doing this? Anyone know?

11. mel1c

mel1c Registered

Perhaps this fix can be highlighted in a more appropriate location (hardware)? It is not specific to this track.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I really seen differences when using different combined AA levels NV Inspector Tim.

Like flicker I mention between leaves on trees is not the same as billboard/3D issue I understand ( you quite adequately explained for even a dope like me )

But I got to say driving F3 Historic tracks 95% of time I have seen differences in billboard flicker, whether its drivers, settings, FOV , seat height........I have no clue.

Another one Tim is the differences in various AA combos and using no HDR and HDR.

Some surfaces get these, I dunno , tiny tiny little saw-tooth jags, like the windscreen edge on my Evie, no HDR it is smooth as I turn HDR on its jag city.

Probably early Eve build drivers settings combo I think, i will test same with no inspector profile.

Having said that none of this bothers me in 4 years I never said boo in a thread about flicker.

I am simply too immersed.......

When you on limit in rF2 ........everything just melts into the background.
    ;)

Oh except Belgium moo cows. p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2015
  13. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Don't know if this is helpful, but this is what Nvidia says about the "off" topic (this is the Bathurst thread :rolleyes:).

https://developer.nvidia.com/content/depth-precision-visualized

...and the conclusion.

On the other hand, most z-fighting issues can be fixed in the 3d model itself.
    Btw, the craziest flickering road lines I have ever seen had a mip map bias of -4! This texture sharpening at all costs is not a good idea.

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

But isn't that the basic problem--we have an open-world environment and need to have extreme depth ranges. Look how great the long-distance views from the top of the mountain look in Bathurst. rF2 has the best looking and most detailed far-off distances of any pro-sumer sim. But perhaps the cost/trade-off for that is the problems with closer objects. By the way, almost every flickering object or texture stops flickering if you get close enough to it. The problem is that some are in a forest, on the second or third storey of a building or off the track somewhere that you cannot drive close to. But if you could, it would stop flickering.

Thanks Tim for asking. There are many of us who experience this. I am happy that there is a good-sized group who does not. Somehow, by examining the two groups, the element or setting that causes this should be able to be found and dealt with.

15. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

16. Tosch

Tosch Registered

It is z-fighting, for sure. The headlight glow is very close to the headlight. You don't see the flicker at a short distance, because the precision of the depth buffer much higher at short distances, but further away the poly for the glow and the headlight have the same value in the depth buffer. The gfx engine can't decide which object is in the foreground, so both objects are rendered at the same time.

Here is the 370z headlight + glow.
    370zHeadlight.jpg

A quick solution would be to move the glow further away from the headlight. The larger the distance between two objects the easier it is for the gfx engine to decide which object is in front of the other, because you reduce the chance that both objects have the same depth value.

17. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

The more I drive this track the better it is.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

2:03.6xx eh? Nice! I'm in the mid 2:04s with the occasional low 2:04 on a fairly basic setup with a decent amount of rubber laid down, much room for improvement then!

19. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

My best in GTR was 2:01:7. Did maybe only 2-3 laps in 2:01s ballpark. Most of my laps are 2:02s. My setup is waaaay off still. I want to make it more predictable and consistant. Right now is it 70% driving 30 % guessing what will happen next. :p

I'm sure that low 2:01 is possible. I didn't have lots of rubber. Don't know how much actually but way, way below maximum rubber state.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Crikey that is good, I'm going for an Endurance Race Pace though not Alien lap times, I'll never get below 2:03 I don't think :D