batch albedo map converter

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Fuzzy Downer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Fuzzy Downer

Fuzzy Downer Registered

Does anyone know of an open source dds texture batch converter that can lower the light intensity output to proper albedo settings? So, old DX9 dds in... new DX11 albedo out. I have a few personally converted tracks and am looking for a quick fix for making them DX11 ready.

2. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

You can't batch it. The Albedo median depends on the material, specularity , normal map/no normal map, Multiplied textures etc...

These Albedo rules apply to DX9 too. With a batch you might end up with good textures look wrong.

These are guide lines... In the end use your eyes. :)

List of Generic Physical Materials Albedo
    This is a list of most used texture/materials with realistic Albedo values. Remember these are just average values so you don't have to worry if you get small variations on your artwork. Also it is important to say your texture has to be pre-calibrated in terms of white balance, exposure and saturation. If you calibrate a over saturated texture you will have to tune both Highlight and Saturation to find the proper albedo. A bad source still remain bad, even if albedo calibrated.

[​IMG]

SPASKIS likes this.
  3. Fuzzy Downer

Fuzzy Downer Registered

Thanks, Gijs. I should've known there's no magic button. I've been using GIMP, opening the Histogram chart from the Color menu, and then Info in the dropdown. I leave the Histogram setting to Value in order to track the changes. Then under the Colors/Levels dropdown, I lower the white end of the output level slider and watch the median value drop into the values you posted above. Hope that's about right. If a texture still looks wrong, I revisit it.