Basic Vehicle Settings are wrong?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by MerlinC, Sep 10, 2015.

1. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Today I did look up some general vehicle values in the HDV files to create some Setup-Sheets.

After looking up the values for Front- and BackWheelTrackRange I did get confused. It seems that most HDV files have a higher value for the FrontWheelTrackRange than the RearWheelTrackRange!!

Because this did not make sense to me I looked up the values for the BMW Z4 GT3 vehicle. As expected the values for a BMW Z4 GTR3 (http://www.blancpain-gt-series.com/car/23/bmw-z4-gt3) show a higher rear track width than front track width.

Track Width: Front 1630 mm / Back 1680 mm ​

As an example these are the values in the HDV file of a very common Mod. The values for the "Beamer" are a little of the real values - but more of a surprise is that Front wheel track is 25 mm larger (!) than Rear Wheel Track.

FrontWheelTrackRange=(1.659,0,1) // if non-zero, forces the front wheels to be specified track width
    RearWheelTrackRange=(1.634,0,1) // if non-zero, forces the rear wheels to be specified track width

Am I misreading the HDV-File? Or is there a failure in most of the physics files?

2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

That's a third party mod car. Did you find the same thing with ISI cars?

3. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Most (maybe I should say "a lot") race cars have a wider front track. Track width is measured at the wheel center line when looking from above and rear tires are usually wider then front. If the car is built to max width front and rear as per regulations then the rear track has to be narrower.
    TK

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Tapatalk

4. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Correct it's a third party mod people pay for. Looked up the ISI Nissan GT-R and there the FrontWheelTrack (1638.2 mm) is smaller than the RearWheelTrack (1683.9 mm) as I expected for a GT Car. But those numbers do not match the specs provided on the Nissan homepage as well (front: 62.6 inch (1590.04mm) / rear: 63 inch (1600.2mm)). Could be that ISI did use the specification of an earlier model year.

You're absolutely right. I should have made my statement more precise - I expected to be the front track widht smaller than rear track width for GT cars. But that might not be true for all vehicles as well. Key point is that the values in the HDV are the opposite of the OEM specification (and absolut values do not match either).

EDIT: Here is the link to the Nissan spec. http://www.nissanusa.com/sportscars/gt-r/versions-specs

5. fireeyes

fireeyes Registered

To say they are wrong is not accurate either. You have to understand that the physics model for rFactor 2 has some limitations modelling a suspensions mechanical motion and extents accurately. If the developer is crafty enough they can come quite close to the real cars dynamic geometry as long as the suspension setup isn't changed much in the garage. The track as measured in the HDV is not really describing the same thing you're finding online for the actual car - slightly different measurements in most cases to arrive at the most accurate representation. This does not mean the HDV file is inaccurate, in fact it could very well mean just the opposite.

And whose to say the values provided online are accurate... often they are not terribly so (a sloppy tape measure center to center or outside to outside; did the track have toe that was accounted for and, if done accurately on a rack, what were the bar settings at the time of the measurement etc.). 25mm is basically an inch (1/2" per wheel) which doesn't seem impossible considering the range of adjustment most suspensions have. From my experience published specs are usually far less accurate that 12mm unless it's a setup sheet from an actual race car put on an alignment rack (good luck getting those numbers from a pro team - unless you're ISI).

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

Judging by the appearance and what was done to the GT1 GTR, I would assume very little similarity to the street GTR that appeared in the link posted.

Yknow, along the lines of an engine swap, suspension swaps, whole different drivetrain, wider wheels/tyres, bigger body, etc.