Basic Plane Track

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by chogger, Jun 1, 2012.

1. ethone

ethone Registered

One technique I picked up from other Virtua_LM members: loft it along the edge of the road in pieces of say 6-8m, repeat until you've reached the wall. The mapping will follow the road and you don't have to resort to a square tiled mapping and the multiple horizontal steps allow you to either add grass variation without using different textures (especially if you can offset the second row versus the first and so on) or to use different parts of a texture for different rows and match those areas whichever way you like on the grass.
    One disadvantages would be a higher than necessary poly count (offset somewhat by lower memory usage through less grass textured).

My baseline approach though is to loft one row of polys next to the track for a transitional texture and loft another row next to that. I would then loft the guardrails/walls to either side of the track and then use the outer vertices of the second row to connect them to the guardrails/walls. Remember gravel traps or access roads though. ;)

2. chogger

chogger Registered

Well, it looks like i am unable to loft a mesh wich fits perfect to my track mesh... I changed any values but i never get it perfect. What's the trick ;) ?

3. ethone

ethone Registered

Here is how my lofting shape looks:
    View attachment 2934

It's all one object. So when you rotate the road surface, the safer wall, wall and fence also follow - since they're the same object. ;)

4. chogger

chogger Registered

5. ethone

ethone Registered

Loft both the track and the wall/fence from the same shape. Not two different lofts, one and the same.
    Matching two lofts can work (if your pivot points are set up correctly) but as soon as you add banking and rotation of the shapes along the loft into the equation all it takes is one undocumented or slightly mismatched rotation and they won't line up properly anymore. As per above, make the track surface and the wall/fence into one and the same shape, then loft and rotate as necessary.

6. chogger

chogger Registered

The track isn't lofted... It's a conversation/redone of an very old mesh

7. ethone

ethone Registered

Ah crap, sorry. I mixed up two threads in my head. I thought we were talking about banked corners but after re-reading the thread I noticed my mistake.

In your case the quickest way to loft along the edge is to convert your road mesh to a Poly object, then select one of the outer borders, click "Create Shape from Selection, and if it's not a closed loop: delete superfluous segments so only the outer border you want remains. Then loft using the shape/spline you just created using Path Steps = 0.
    View attachment 2941

8. chogger

chogger Registered

Got it working! Thank you ethone. Without you i would be lost :)

9. chogger

chogger Registered

10. ethone

ethone Registered

You can always re-do that mapping using spline mapping or a basic plane uvw modifier, whichever way you did them in the first place. :)

11. chogger

chogger Registered

And I need help again ;)
    Sorry ethone, i forgot to thank you...

How does this happen? in 3ds max everything looks normal
    [​IMG]

12. ethone

ethone Registered

Shadow? Vertex color/alpha? Two objects intersecting (if it flickers)?

13. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

...unwelded vertexes..?

14. mianiak

mianiak Registered