Bare minimum to get track into rf2?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Skynet, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Skynet

Skynet Registered

Hi guys,

So i finished the mesh for my first ever track in 3ds, installed rf2 plugins via freew67 tutorial video, then did a whole lot of reading through tutorials about track creation which just overwhelmed me to the point where i dont know what to do next. I would really appreciate it if somebody could just briefly summarize from the point i am at the bare minimum required to get my mesh in to rf2 for testing, in bullet points perhaps. I can fill in the blanks myself i just need a little guidance =(. I don't even care about textures at the moment, i will probably just apply one texture to the whole mesh.

kind regards

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
  2. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

There are probably a lot of better ways to do this, but here's what I usually do.

1. Duplicate the Joesville folder inside ModDev/Locations and rename it the way you want (avoid white spaces, use underscore instead).
      • Rename Joesville_Speedway.tdf as desired and do the same on the folder with the same name.
      • Open the folder mentioned above and delete all files but the .GDB and .SCN ones. Rename them the same way you did on previous item.
      • Open the .GDB file (I suggest you to use Notepad++). Change the first line of the code with the name you used on the file. Adjust the other values as you want and don't forget to change the name of the TerrainDataFile accordingly.
      • Open the .SCN file. Modify the SearchPath following the name you gave to the folders before.
        • Duplicate the line SearchPath={YOURTRACK}\ASSETS\MAPS and rename the copy as SearchPath={YOURTRACK}\ASSETS\JOESVILLE_MAPS. This will avoid some texture mismatches for now.
      • Remove the lines starting with //MASFile. Leave only the one that says MASFile=COMMONMAPS.MAS
      • Still in the .SCN file, remove all the lights inside the Lighting group. Also, delete all the instances but the XSectors (from Instance=lpole01 until the end of the file).
      • Go to Assets/GMT folder. Delete all the GMTs but the xSectors.
      • Duplicate the Assets/Maps folder and rename it to Joesville_Maps. And delete all the files of the folder that remained called Maps.
      • Delete JoesvilleIcon.dds (optional)
    2. On 3ds Max, export your mesh inside your track's Assets/GMT folder. (I usually exports to another folder, outside rF2 installation, and keep copying and pasting the files I want).
      • Insert the corrent instance on your track's .SCN file. To do this and yet keep things organized, I set up gMotor plugin to create a quick scene elsewhere, open it and copy only the instance I want to paste on the track's file.

By doing that you'll be able to get you mesh working on the rF2 ModDev. If you have any problems, just ask.

3 people like this.
  3. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Nice guide Fabio. We should sticky this.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

5. Skynet

Skynet Registered

Thanks Fabio, your guide is awesome!

My first attempt failed, the screen went black and crashed after the loading finished and some Editing tools tabs appeared. Not sure where the problem might be, but im sure i'll get it working soon. Your guide has helped me to really understand the track files and get familiar with each of there functions.

6. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

At first I got some error messages asking for textures of Joesville even though I was only using the xSectors from it. That's why I came up with keeping a copy of Joesville Maps.

When the game crashes while loading, press Alt+TAB and try to find if there's a error dialog, when it appears always shows you what's going wrong (well, almost everytime lol).

Check the GMT exporting settings and also if everything is fine with the material applied to the mesh. Maybe create a plane, at 0,0,0 on 3ds Max, assign it a gMotor Material with only T1, and choose any of Joesville textures. Export it with the very basic parameters and try to load the track.

If you keep getting black screens and/or CTD, send me your track files and I help you figure out.

7. ethone

ethone Registered

Just like every other .gmt, the xfiles need a material applied to them so the converter actually exports them. So even though they're set to render=false, they have a texture associated with them that has to be loaded as well.

8. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Now it's explained why it ask for Joesville textures and also I couldn't get my own xSectors to work!

Thanks ethone!

9. Skynet

Skynet Registered

It works !!! yeeeeehaaaaa =)))

I cant tell you how much of a boost this development is for me as a newbie. Your method is a great platform to start from , i can now see the light at the end of the tunnel, and am very motivated to learn more and complete the project. My problem was something to do with textures, im not really sure because i followed freew67 tutorial video to apply the gmaterial and texture and he was using an older 3ds so some things where different. Textures are my weakness, i can model but i never bothered to learn properly about textures before so that's what i will do next.

thanks again fabio =)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
  10. mkilner

mkilner Registered

This is Great news, followed the guidelines yesterday but kept geting missing maps error, had little time, so will try again today!

Happy for you Skynet, it is fun once a few things click! :)

Update* tried again, Just get Black Screen or Crash...phhff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
  11. dradecki

dradecki Registered

This is definitely a lot of help. Would be great if we had a similar post for car mods.

12. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I have created a vbs script that does the steps Fabio Pittol described so all you track makers won't need to do this by hand every time you want to create a new track! :)

Usage:
    Just unzip and put the script into your ModDev/Locations folder and run it.
    It will ask for new track name, create folders and edit files based on your input.

Download link:
    View attachment 4311

PS: I don't know much about track creation, I just followed Fabios instructions so it would be great if someone can verify if the track created with this script actually works (if I forgot something/did anything wrong/deleted too much in the files).
    Of course this is only 1. step from Fabios instructions, you still have to do the 2. step manually to be able to "run" the track.

3 people like this.
  13. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

rf2 track

Nice Tutorial Fabio. when things are explained in a simple way everyone understands.

I made a MAXscript :)
    The script create folders and edit GDB file
    (TDF, ICON, GDB, Loading.jpg, WET, HDPs )
    [​IMG]

edit:ready !

Extract to
    Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\Scripts\Startup
    the correct install
    Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\Scripts\Startup\rf2track
     templates (FOLDER)
    CreateRf2track.ms (file)

To run the script go to "Hammer" tab
    -> press "MAXScript" button
    ->Utilities and select "Create Rf2 Track"

New version v2
    Fix bugs and add all Maps.
    Create a TXT file to setup Scene file i max!

Download v3

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
    3 people like this.
  14. Radar

Radar Registered

Thanks Mario, you're a legend :)

15. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Just a note (as I haven't seen it mentioned yet), as a new standard set by Scott, the material that the xfiles use should be the swheel_trackmap.dds, which is found in the track's layout folder (with the scn gdb etc). I notice that Joesville xfiles don't use this, I will make a point about it and let the devs know so they can fix this which will make this process a lot easier.

[ED] re: track map, the material name is 'sectormat' the texture name is 'swheel_trackmap.dds'

16. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

New version v2
    Fix bugs and add all Maps.
    Create a TXT file to setup Scene file in max!

Next. create a basic AIW. only startposition maybe.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2012
  17. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Nice info mianiak!!

And Mario, awesome script as always! Already download and will try to install tomorrow! Thanks!

18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Thanks for the tutorials and different scripts guys. Your contribution to simracing modding community is awesome. I have followed the steps but I get the black screen after the loading as rf2 crashes. I am doing the conversion using 3dsimed3 to get the gmts and the scn where to cut the lines and insert them in the joesville scn file. I used joesville xsectors and not the ones from 3dsimed after reading the posts. Now I am trying the vbs to see if i did something wrong. If I still have problems I will explain myself more clearly.

19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

20. ethone

ethone Registered

Could be an issue with the AIW. Try loading the track without one (and make sure there's something drivable under 0/0/0).