Ban Clios at Mills.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smithaz, Mar 2, 2013.

1. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Well yes I agree something needs to be done to make it possible to enter a server even if you don't have all of the tracks in rotation, the way that Tim described does sound a little convoluted to me, but it seems like it is something that is fixable.
    I have never tried to create a vmod myself so not sure how it works in practise, the way Tim described sounded as though it would be possible to have just 1 vmod and each race would be "referenced individually", I took this to mean that you would need just 1 vmod and would be able to join even if you don't have all tracks. Admittedly I am not expert and may have read it wrong.

2. Jello

Jello Registered

I had my first good run tonight with multiplayer. Found the ~IsR~, simplly clicked on the the mod box to the bottom left & done, joined the game & had a blast. Seriously with the new build it is all too easy to add & remove mods & joining a race with different tracks is just like using STEAM.

I think this method is much better than the old copy, paste files, where you ended up with people dl'ing an earlier version, the missing a track or something & not being able to join. Give ISI a break & be patient.

3. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Haha... Ok so that only makes it worse!.

The idea of components doesn't make a lot of difference to the fact you need Vmods at least to use this content online. There's of cause no point in just anyone making up a Vmod, This is left to a select few. Those that run servers and/or leagues admin.

Some private servers, yes. But in general very few will make them. Now the point that's trying to be made is the Vmods may or more then likely include content some neither have nor want! Meaning that you "can not" just get the Vmod and join a server which is currently running the cars and track you have, because you don't have the track you don't want but is apart of the Vmod. Wow! a mismatch!

On the topic.
    I to like Mills but the threads OP didn't really say he didn't like Mills, Just that he likes the Clio mod but is sick of running it on Mills all the time. He also states that the server is the most populated so to get a race with others he's some what forced to join this server.

Asking if others feel the same and can there be a Ban on Mills for a while so as to use other tracks for a change. A fair request as see through his eyes.

Unfortunately as far as the servers go, there are more open running the clio on other tracks but most people are going to Mills.

It's a clear case of majority rules so live with it!

I've read a post or three were people are saying they don't like fantasy tracks so don't like Mills for this reason. Your choice of cause but regardless of the track or it's origins it's the same for everyone racing on it. This makes the track very real. It has it's own personality with fast flowing and slower, tighter sections which makes it challenging, Not boring at all.

If the only reason for not liking a well make track with this much character is it's not a real world track then I feel sorry for you. If it's that important to you, go play rent'a racing. Dull, lifeless tracks they have but at least their lazar scanned, Right?

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

This.

I think Durge is asuming too much in thinking if he or others have no problem with it no1 has a problem with it.

Its just asuming way too much that the easyest way to go arround some of the default problems we have with rf2 is by fixing it ourselfes and then thinking because we understand it, everyone else will too.

why should any new client, just installed rf2 and aiking to give it a go with just rf2-default, have to go through any of the above just to have fun with it?
    what if he doesnt use torrents? needs to fugure that out first, then download it etc etc. any new client whom bought the sim should have hussle-free entry level fun with rf2.

This is why we see clio's at Mills, hussle free fun. even if it becomes tedious.
    So if ISI opens this up, all default content becomes avail from the get-go, problem solved.

Anyone wanting more, will have to put some effort innit. which is the case with virtualy everything.
    And that is the moment the community takes over.

But we should not even have to discuss how to fix such a problem in the first place. its the world up side down imo.

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

hussle means something different. I think you mean hassle? :)

As I said before, maybe things would be different when the components get released. If the vmod system got updated so that it checked the current (and maybe next track on rota) then let you in. I would rather not have to download 10 tracks in their list, if I was only had time to race at one venue. No wonder the servers are empty because the incentive has gone. If people are wasting so much time trying to get a server to load, than actually racing, then there is something wrong with the way the system is handling new users currently. As others have previously said, some people just want to race, they don't necessarily have experience of torrents or going hunting for tracks they don't need. They just want to race!! :)

6. frankwer

frankwer Registered

Vmod is the most stupid thing ever created, and while it can be easily handled at the moment when there is not so much mods around, it will be hell in 5 years time when the game is in it`s final edition :)

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

imo mismatches were, now a thing of the past.

The only real negative is that you need all tracks and mods to run all vmods yes.

Which beggars the point to run all rooms in any sim you would need all the tracks and mods too ? lol

Oh I see you want the freedom to run any car with any track you like so people that join only
    have to download the tracks that YOU want to use. lol

Whats the difference ?

I go to 10 different rooms all with 5 different tracks, so I have downloaded the 50 tracks anyway no different to what would happen in any room any sim..........

Since Abriel started torrents there is over 50 tracks that average around 100mb
    That is 200mb a week download at the moment for last 6 months , not a great deal.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

101% :)

I come from another planet.

Ever since ever I have downloaded and archived everything for all sims I have used, SCGT - GPL - GP4 - N2003 - F12002 - F1C -GTR - GTR2 - GTL-RF and RF2.

My entire archives + images of all CD/DVD + pCARS and a few others sit on a 1TB with space
    COST $6 a sim.

Of those I still run GTR2 - GTL- RF and RF2.

I do that for a few reasons.

1. I never know what Gem of a circuit I am going to find and add to a online list ( vmod )
    2. I may be able to give some feedback to author.
    3. I like doing screens of everything.
    4. I like to respect all authors and at least try their work a few laps.

Taking that into account I would already have all content , which I have and more everyday do the same
    The more people downloaded all the torrent the more they seed it all the more they help others so it sort of goes hand in hand.

Take BB's room as a example he has used many different vmods but over time I can assure you
    he has run and downloaded every track.

So for mine having all the tracks in torrent solves the biggest hassle of the downside of vmods.

If you add up all builds + all track versions + all ISI content over 12 months it is around 300mb a week.
    This is too much ?

Other sims online is a guessing game to what tracks you need Before you join, then if you like the company you have to leave and download the next track you do not have they run , by that time they are racing. lol

With or without vmods you still won't be able to run all rooms, never have.

I not saying there is not a issue but you turn a molehill into a mountain.

9. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

If you don't know what it is like to take Lola up Mountain Forest and back, then you don't know about driving.

BB's server has that right now - and except for me, it is ****ing empty - so stop complaining.

10. Led566

Led566 Registered

LOL...this explain why I was faster than them...:D

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Durge, you have a bit of a "rF2 is better than rF1 and more flexible than other games" vibe going on, and that's fair enough. You also admit it still has problems though, and I think that's all anyone's referring to.

The way it is now is great for people like you who have most/all of the popular content. And for people who want to drive lots of different tracks that's great, though as more content is created it will still be difficult for someone new to catch up (or time consuming at least, even if they're familiar with torrents).

But that's only one type of user. As soon as you start catering for people who don't want to download tens or hundreds of tracks you need a bit more flexibility. Look at different public servers - some are actively monitored to keep the idiots out, others are free for alls. If you're browsing around servers either looking for a particular mod and track you like so you can have a race on it, or you're looking for a server to spend some time in, right now you need to go and download all the tracks that server runs so you can (automatically) get the vmod and have a go. If it turns out it's full of ramming kids and you want to try the next server, it might have all different tracks you then need to go and grab.

If the system were more flexible in regards to tracks, you could jump in a server when it's running a track you have, even though you don't have any/many of its other tracks. Sure, you get 'kicked out' when it jumps to a track you don't have - so then you move on. Or if you think you want to race there more you check the track list and download those ones.

It doesn't concern you because you're not that type of user. But a lot of people - especially those new to rF2 - do not have and will not want to grab all the tracks in order to evaluate either the game itself or specific servers.

The packaging system has a lot of positives, but in some areas it falls down a bit. I won't go into those any more here because it's not relevant.

Anyway, to bring it back on topic... if it were easier to try different servers with other tracks, the server operators would have more freedom to throw in some non-standard tracks as part of the rotation. People who enjoy racing the tracks they already have there would then feel more inclined to download the track they're missing so they're not missing every 3rd (or 4th, or 5th, or whatever) race anymore. Right now if a server operator adds one non-standard track none of those people get on the server at all.

And if you make it easier to race on what you have, instead of making you get stuff you don't yet have first, there'll be more people jumping on and generally more people online at any given time. It's a racing simulation... numbers breed numbers.

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

That totaly depends on what Hussle exactly means lol. But yeah, i probably ment hassle, i'm Dutch, i dont know any better :p

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Oh you an alien then? :)

Look, i see what you mean and i fully agree with you. Your way is a good way, no argument there.
    The thing is, what we do has little relevance to this discussion, its about mills/clio's and why peeps keep doing that.
    There's allot of 'i' in your post whilst the discusion (imo) is about 'them' not us.

So if you ask if 300MB per week is too much for someone just wanting a quick game/host and does not want to get involved (yet) into anything else, then yes, its a problem. online activity, even in Beta, proofs that at this very moment.

Anything that stops noobs, new clients, first joiners and lazy people from having instant fun whilst this can be solved by ISI from the getgo (i asume anyways) is reason for concern.
    Ultimately it will effect you too if these people are slowed down in their innitial online fun.

And dont think this is about vmods either. because when rf2 becomes gold and server admins setup mod+10 tracks they will start wondering why no1 joins their server.
    Pretty soon admins will either losen it up or no traffic, or they dont care because league/whatever.

Either way will do, it doesnt matter much. But its totaly different for quick hosts etc.

The additional problem i see is allowing modmakers to force us getting tracks. that will be a problem when people dont want to get those tracks just to get the mod working. But perhaps modmakers will also find a way with this.

I use and understand torrents. i might start using this one when rf2 becomes gold but i doubt it very much, i simply am only interested in tracks that my league uses, everyhting else (appart from the The Ring) i can easily disregard, i simply would not use it. dont have te time. no disrespect to any trackmakers, bless them all, but its just aint gonna work for me.

Plus, when i use rf1 for a long time it starts to slow down, the more mods/tracks/crap we install the worse it gets. thats why we use rfLite for racing and rf for testing dont we?
    Whom can tell me that its any different with rf2? in 3 years after gold the torrent will be 40millionGB. i very much doubt thats not going to effect the sim :)

So your 'just use torrents' argument is just your opinion, and maybe even for many, but not for all. And certainly not for new users. plain and simple :)
    (just as my posts are just my opinions btw)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
  14. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Case in point:

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Indeed, maybe you can tell the guy that the lola mod has had a 2nd release where the modmakers realised adding tracks was abit of a problem so they also released the mod without the tracks. smart move imo :)

16. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Those four tracks on ~IsR~ get old fast.. and so many good tracks

17. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Clios = easy to drive = popular

The only thing better than an easy to drive car is a mod like Lola that should be hard but isn't and makes people think they know how to drive.

Another thing people that don't know how to drive love is the advantage of specializing on a single track like a videogame.

18. frankwer

frankwer Registered

I don`t mind if ISI turn this into a fullblown arcade racer with mindblowing graphics, i hate practicing for hours to master a car / track combo.

19. smithaz

smithaz Registered

ha ha ha ha haa

20. liebestod

liebestod Registered

Year 2013: I join a server, and the necessary mod files are automatically downloaded and installed for me. The current track is downloaded, if need be, and when the track ("map") changes, the new track is downloaded.

This is how it should work.