Baffled by press

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Promag, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah, I guess you did not bother to read my post even though you actually quoted me saying I agreed. ah well, see if I care :p

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

3. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I 'll test it tomorrow for sure, it is late here. You are a fast guy no doubt. Thanks a lot, it will help many modders or people making their own teams spare many hours.

Do you own the EGT mod? If so I will send you a PM with a new skin.

Thanks again.

4. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

I need more popcorn

5. Lgel

Lgel Registered

The way the AI behaves is highly track dependent, in VLM Sebring they would'nt get a red flag.

I didn't test all the tracks since build 880, but at Sao Paulo they don't behave as gentlemen to put it kindly.

Cheers.

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I was also a casual sim racer, just 16 months ago.
    My thing was Gran Turismo, CM's F1 series, Grid, all that stuff.
    I was able to make the jump to rF2, pure sim racing, and make everything work to my liking.
    I don't remember any bad first impressions at all. Nothing scared me away, not graphics, not UI, not installing mods, nothing.
    So how bad is it, really? I used to be a sucker for nice graphics too. Yet rF2 didn't scare me off. Why, I wonder?
    Because I think many casual gamers who move on to sim racing have grown tired of superficial gimmicks, flashy glossy smoke screens that hide a very shallow core.

Thanks, that was the first thing I thought of as well.
    But that is really only postponing dealing with the problem.
    Plus my potentiometer was so dirty that this quick fix wasn't enough.

First time I tried to fix it, some months ago, I also just sprayed compressed air/gas/whatever into the critical parts, without disassembling the entire thing.
    That did the trick... until it didn't. ;)

From what I read around the web, the frequency of the occurrence of spiking will only increase over time, if the cleaning isn't done properly.
    So I figured I had to give it a go, disassembling everything all the way down to the potentiometer.
    The most, I mean THE most tedious part of that process was bending those five ridiculous little silver flaps. That sure got me sweating lol, didn't want to break them.
    But I managed to clean the innards of the pot, and put the whole thing back together. When I get home from work, I'll see if the pedal is working again (didn't have time to test it last night).
    I'm not getting my hopes up though. There are other problems than dirt that can make a potentiometer fail apparently....

Excuse me, pardon me and sorry for going that far OT.

Back to business:
    People getting all emotional over their fav sims + people ridiculing rF2 over its UI, ready, set, GO! ;)

7. speed1

speed1 Banned

You could have save the amount of work if you simply had floated the pot with wd40 or something like that. You can't do something on the wear of the contact parts, and if wd40 didn't help, nothing else will, except to replace the pot.

8. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I agree, I didn't have contact cleaner at hand, and used WD40 as you did (I was not very sure at the moment if it would be safe, so I didn't dare to recomend this option to hexagramme ). Two years later everything is still fine.

Cheers.

9. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes it is a easy and very good solution. I had something similar with my G27 where it was braking all the time in NetKar pro and i was wondering why i was driving like an idiot. :) And something similar i had recently with my T500RS where it had an deadzone on the throttle pedal, and in both cases wd40 did it for me.

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Just to derail this thread even further from OP...

This was me, just a moment ago, when I reconnected my G27 and loaded up rF2 to see if my repair/cleaning job had done the trick:

Just replace "magnets" with "contact cleaner on a piece of cloth"... ;)

I heard a couple of horror stories about using WD40, so I did not want to that way.
    Every post I read about people using contact cleaner had a happy ending, so I figured that was my best shot. :cool:

I don't have money for a new wheel/pedal set until February at the earliest.
    If my silly G27 was screwed, I'd be screwed until then... ;)

11. Lgel

Lgel Registered

It seems the rule on this forum is to say everything unconnected with the OP, why do you want to be the exception?

A part from personal attacks and rude language discussing is always good. From this collection of posts from RF2 haters, and trolls, many good ideas have emerged.

For instance Noel Hibbard has developed a wonderful tool to create SMICONS and ICONS.

And if I believe, your G27 works like a charm now.

Cheers.

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Cheers man.
    I'm a firm believer that good stuff can come from slightly derailed threads sometimes...
    Sometimes..! ;)

13. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Never ever use wd40 on pots. It dries with a sticky film that only attracts more dust/dirt/cat hair etc. Contact spray is the way to go... but not contact adhesive.. trust me that don't work :)

14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I like sticking to ISI content for testing these areas of concern as mods vary greatly, even the higher quality ones may have issues that never get addressed as they're left aside.

15. bwana

bwana Registered

Acetone for pots.wd 40 leaves oil attracting dust.

16. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

All other things being equal and if I could only drive one game I would go for the one with better graphics. All other things being equal so would every one else, it's pretty simple.

I am not tied to one platform and I can tell that all other things are not quite equal, I don't enjoy the arcady stuff a whole lot because it doesn't test me as much. With these considerations I am not always playing the game with the best graphics.

OK, thats me and no doubt a lot of you as well. For new guys to the genre they may be thinking along the same lines but they don't know any better. Every game says they have the best physics, the most realistic feeling, etc ,etc. Thats leaving your average newcomer to similar conclusions of, if all things being equal, what do I go for? So graphics do matter to new people, they don't have the experience or knowledge of the franchise. They just have the marketing presented and a couple of the other products on paper and on screen are winning.

Thats what I see and being in the flight sim community I get questions from other flight simmers regularly. These are guys that like simulation but don't know about the racing scene yet their research leads them to the conclusions I have outlined and graphics is certainly one of them.

17. Carlo

Carlo Registered

I'm also a flight simmer and I have to say that metalnwood has made some valid points here.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

WOW !

I am stunned !!

Seriously mate, thank you, tried to get a discussion about concepts for 3 years ( ie: My idea of a rF2Pro version )

All i got was abuse.

I think most think my idea is somehow based on getting rid of bad drivers from my room ...............nothing could be further from the truth.

My way of thinking is if we choose to use a Pro version everyone is zoned in to the same wave length even in open rooms.

I WOULD LOVE to train rookies full on hardcore but only if they actually wanted it not by setting rooms 100 different ways...........ergo the Pro version. ;)

Take even tyre temps in game with Historics, Jack Brabham knew, really........ :rolleyes:

So yes I would have tire temp in game for cars that actually run data and had a onscreen display.

But a Historic would not, nor would it have any other fanciful things.

So menus would be car dependent

I mean all you have to do is drop your perception of what a sim is and think about real life. :)

You can say that is pushing the bounds too far but at least say something.

Don't treat my idea like I a mushroom guys..............CALL Me a TARD !! .....I can take it !!!! looool

FUTURE
    =====

Next step in 10 years I see a pure hardcore sim with engine and physics totally evolved around one specific car and track.

That's it nothing else so everyone is joining identical servers.

You would buy cars and tracks like models, each sim would be a unique engine and different car / track :)

Sounds huge work a separate engine for each car , though in future computers I suspect will be able to manage data in computations a lot quicker :)

P.S sorry......

In this version when you joined a room there would be no rfmods, no downloads, nothing lol
    one car one track identical settings for all
    Garage settings would be limited to the actual car not what seems to be " one fits all " in other sims.

Sure some of us will get bored of one track car.

Then like iracing we buy another car and track combo , then we go back to the first one..and on it goes

Personally I drive F3 Eve 95% and 3 Historic tracks 95% 3 years.

Other things you would add is a totally setup drivers profile and all lap stats Realtime for his entire driving life in that car and heaps of servers with licence grading same as IR.

Also there is no reason you could not have a road and track version of the same car in some releases sharing same engine, physics, no drama. Few compounds of rubber, rollcage and racing wheel.

lol not that simple but I think you get my drift......

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2014
  19. FatCity

FatCity Registered

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

243 terabytes of data wow one race loool

Tim you listening to this, 10 years time I will be waiting.

:)