Baffled by press

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Promag, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Promag

Promag Registered

So a priest, a rabbi and a sim racer walk into a bar......... lighten up people.!!!

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I make one final topic about what experience me, Otta56, and many others have when using multi GPU and triple screens, rFactor2 build 880.

Otta56:
    "Sad to say no improvement for me either. Using SLIx3 Titans, GeForce driver 344.48 & 3 Dell U2713HM. rFactor 2 profile is still unchanged from the one created 2011-09-22 despite now having 32 & 64 bit executables. Multiview+HDR is still 12-15 fps with this profile. Stuttering with multiview, multimonitor + multi gpu makes the sim unplayable with my configuration."

I am using SLI x 2, EVGA GTX 780Ti , BENQ triples and I have same experience as Otta56 have and it is not only with Build 880 it has been like this few years.

When ISI makes statement about new UI/core which is a huge improvement to everybody who has multi GPU and triple screens and when few single screen users makes statement that new UI is not needed it makes me mad :mad:

I think that me and everybody else with multi GPU and triple screens has the same right as single screen users to have proper experience when playing rFactor2 and I am hoping that new UI is going to bee released soon.

The End :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  3. TechAde

TechAde Registered

... the bar tender says "Hey, is this some kind of joke?"

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Ari do you mean multi CPU or multi GPU?

5. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Sorry typos GPU :)

6. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

It's OK, I was getting confused :D

7. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Don`t claim me :) http://wcs.iracing.com/drivers/atze-kerkhof/

8. Domi

Domi Registered

And you don't see that he finished 2nd on his last season? If that is not top ranked then explain us what is.

9. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Hello Ari,

"I think that me and everybody else with multi CPU and triple screens users have the same right as single screen users to have proper experience when playing rFactor2"

No doubt you have the same rights as everyone to have a proper experience, but what is in your opinion the percentage of actual users of RF2 with this type of hardware configurations?

Do you think it amounts to more than 1 % of the installed base?

Do you think that enhancing support for those configurations could bring 5 % more users to RF2?

Without any factual base, so I admit it is pure opinion, totally questionable, I would say that one of the problems that RF2 sales have met in the dire economic situation facing most countries (and very high unemployment among young people) has been the high hardware requirements compared to RF1 of this sim, many users had low-mid AMD cards that were totally inadequate to the job (problem made worse by the poor drivers).

Enhancing video card as you know, means often a new PC, or at least a new power font and a new box with improved cooling.

If you were head of development at ISI would you give priority to those high level requirements, or would you priorize average users with affordable hardware to increment sales?

It is a busisness decision once again.

Have fun racing, I myself have a lot of fun with a low-medium one (single 22 monitor, GTX 770, 4 year old I7 with 8 Gb, 1 TB HD, G27) which unfortunately is out of reach for many.

10. Promag

Promag Registered

Boy that is a fine line for a company to walk how do you appeal to the masses, when to stay on the cutting edge of a tech driven industry, you must use cutting edge technology. It appears that ISI has chosen to cut the path. Somebody's got to do it.;)

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I sure am glad I'm not cursed to have to be around you in real life. Must be tough, when you decide to make a war out of every little thing.

When that is said, you can completely forget about your little notion that I would ever stop speaking my mind on this forum, or anywhere else for that matter. Not your call, I'm afraid. Pretty low of you to state what I know and don't know about too.

You care about UI and what appeals to alien racers. I don't. I enjoy this sim. Don't know about you. It seems to get you awfully excited though, but maybe not in the way it was intended.

Who knows, maybe I'll join you on the dark side, if I one day should decide to go triples. Or if I become an alien racer who can't use rF2 because it's so inferior. Let's see what happens. :D

12. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

This thread is getting a bit entertaining now. I knew that there were sim racing groupies but I didn't know they extended outside of iracing. Sorry for OT, carry on. :p

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

whining about whiners bitching about UI's, hilarious :)

14. stonec

stonec Registered

I don't see any fun about this. This thread is about giving ideas how to improve the image of rF2 so that one day it could reach the userbase of rF1. Now clearly UI is part of the equation, as it's been mentioned quite often on various forums. I threw as suggestion an "easier" way to improve current UI by simply bringing it to HD resolution and making the style more consistent, as the rewriting project of UI code seems to take forever. As response we get posts like "I like the current UI", which doesn't bring rF2 or this discussion forwards at all. I also like my CRT monitor from 1999 and how well it produces colors, but is it up to date in terms of technology and design?

Multi GPU support is not ultra important aspect in my opinion to get more users, but many hardcore simracers have these types of setups. Speaking of hardcore simracers, there are users like Empty Box who have a big impact factor on this small community. When I search on google for "rfactor2 review", I get as YT suggestion a couple of Empty Box videos, ISR review, GameSpy review from 2013, and video titled "Why rFactor 2 makes me sad [Mini rFactor 2 review]". This is where the image comes from for average sim racer. Wikipedia has a two-row article about rF2, stating the game was announced in 2009, and is currently in beta.

15. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

Current game is not user-friendly at all, I think that since you start the game for the first time until you get into the track you can spend maybe 10 minutes or more configuring it. For example you have to go through a mod manager doing 100 clicks to install mods, tracks, etc, there is not an easy wizard to set up the controls and you have to go one by one manually, you have to set some realroad unless you want to drive on ice. The process to get on the track properly and ready to race it's just too difficult and long, it's nice to have million of features to configure the practice, qualy or race session but UI distribution doesn't help and maybe some default values are not the best. I wonder how many times I loaded a track and I had to close because I forgot to place some realroad. No need to add that UI is not the best looking in the world, and the graphic engine is far from being something up to date. So I am pretty sure the first impression most people have about this game is not a good one, but it's not like it's their fault.

16. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

No need for 100 clicks can select multiple mods to install ; also sim racing is not "user friendly" either, i.e. You have to learn how to drive, race, vehicle dynamics, etc. Nothing comes on silver platter.

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This.

18. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Financial analisis is not user friendly, you have to learn very difficult topics, nothing comes on a silver platter. I wonder why MICROSOFT adds help information for they spreadsheet, and spend so many hours making usability studies of their products.
    They really have no clue.

Cheers.

19. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

I believe simracing can be user friendly, for example I installed iRacing today after a few months of not using it and I was already driving after one minute of opening it with a totally automated installation. So I feel that the argument simracing is not user friendly it's just an excuse.

20. Promag

Promag Registered

it's not perfect, none of them are, but aside from a few warts rfactor 2s trajectory has been upwards and it is what it is. It it's strengths are it's physics, force feedback, my opinion graphics and league racing features. I like race cars. Its weakness is marketing. UI might help but its solid fanbase exists because it's frickin great to drive certainly not because of UI. With some creative marketing maybe people can come to understand what rfactor 2 is. When the new UI comes out it's just icing on the cake.