Bad stutter and freezes on- and offline (in vr)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Neawoulf, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

Yep, tried different BIOS versions, older ones and the most recent one. Didn't make much difference except for the RAM stuff where i couldn't use more than 2400 mhz with earlier BIOS versions.

2. RainhamIron

RainhamIron Registered

I've been having exactly the same issues - a combination of those micro stutters (ffb kind of feels like you're driving over a cattle grid) and longer freezes, hence coming across this thread. It's been doing my nut also. If I have any joy I'll certainly come back and share...

8700k / 1080ti etc in my case btw.

3. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

+1 here. I have been getting the stuttering more often just recently and it seems to affect the FFB as well, a micro freeze in the graphics and the feedback at the same time. If I have delta timing on the display when this happens you can see the gap change. for example, if I'm 0.23 seconds down my the best time and I have a stutter the time gap will extend to, say, 0.45. On some laps I can lose a second to the stuttering. Does anyone else get this with their stuttering?

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

If you have OC your CPU especially and also GPU, I strongly suggest deactivate it.

Work for me last year.

5. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

No OC here.

i5 6600@3.3ghz
    32GB ram
    GTX1070 8GB
    Gigabyte Z270HD3 MB
    Oculus
    Windows 10 64 Home

DrivingFast likes this.
  6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Try to activate CTRL + F (FPS), by magic it stopped my stuttering on DX9 (not DX11).

7. Jego

Jego Registered

I have this as well if the grid is too big and my settings are too high.
    This happens when the cpu can't handle the load, micro stutter and ffb feels strange.
    I have accepted to run graphic settings on low (except for texture details + texture filter) and almost no SS (depending on track) even though it should not really have an effect the CPU load but it does when I have online races with +20 cars.

Ryzen 2700x + RTX2080
    (special effects, shadows, particles, rain drops, reflections all set to off)

8. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I recently upgraded my system to:
    i7-8700k 3.7GHZ.
    16GB memory.
    ASUS 1080 STRIX GPU.
    RF2 would run silky smooth with graphic settings at max, pp setting at high and 55 AI cars at Le Mans 2017 but I was getting stutters of up to 1 second. I cured the stutter by setting record to memory to true, it's located in the player json file in the Game Options section. You probably need 16GB of memory to use this. I have had no problems running 2hr plus sessions with this setting. It records to hard drive when you exit the session. RF2 now runs super smooth 100% of the time with no stutters what so ever with max graphic settings even with max rain settings.
    I do not run VSYNC. I set max fps in the player json to a prime number high than the refresh rate of my monitor, in my case I have it set to 89 fps, my monitor is only 60hz. Setting max fps to a prime number in theory means any tearing is in a different place on the screen every time so is less noticeable. VSYNC is a real FPS killer.

"Record To Memory":true,
    "Record To Memory#":"record replays to memory rather than disk (may possibly reduce stuttering, but at your own risk because memory usage will be significant for long races)",

I hope this may be of help to any body with stutter problems and it cures the problem.

9. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

Still not completely fixed, but it appears that deleting this infamous windows update solved some issues for other games.

But i haven't heard about this so i will try this. Thanks!

10. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Did you try it, and did it work. If it worked others may be interested, it's still working for me and still no problems. If it didn't work I hope you find a solution soon.

11. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

I have vsync always disabled (no reason to enable it with vr) and i tried the record to memory option. I basically don't have any noticable stutter in single player mode now (i think uninstalling that windows update was the key).

However: I tried racing online yesterday and had two really big (at least one second) freezes, one in training, one in the first lap of the race about 30 or 40 minutes later which ended in a wall. So racing online is still not an option for me now. But i'm quite sure these online freezes are something different than my "normal" and really short freezes (0.1 or 0.2 seconds max) i previously also had in single player mode. I never had a freeze that long in single player mode, not even with lots of cars, night, bad weather etc.

12. Jego

Jego Registered

The thing is that removing that update should have no effect on your system because it was a Intel only patch to fix the spectra bug. :rolleyes:

13. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

Then it might be just a coincidence (or something else, that fixed it), but i didn't have any of the little stutters offline i had before i removed that update. Only stutters i had recently were the longer (1+ sec) freezes online.

14. latorre

latorre Registered

Hola a todos, yo también sufro ese tartamudeo.
    Pero a mí me aparece ante todo, cuando activo el simvibe, sistema de vibración para el copkpit. De una manera muy grande, le escribí a simvibe y me dijeron que era porque rFactor2, consumía mucha CPU, en mi caso.

Voy con un 1080 ti, 16 gb de ram ddr4 y un i5 6400

"Alguien más recibe esto.

Saludos y gracias

15. Jego

Jego Registered

Well it might also be some windows bug, because the update should not have been installed on your system. I have an AMD and don't have that update in my list for example.

16. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Registered

Had to use google translate this, so i hope i got everything right:

I'm not using Simvibe, but i guess that works in a similar way as normal force feedback for the wheel.

One thing i've noticed a few times (could be a coincidence): Stutter appeared when the rear broke loose, i ran over kerbs or got a hit from another car. It doesn't happen always in these situations, but if it happens it's often in situations like that or maybe even just before those situations, when the game expects "there could be a strong ffb effect soon"? Maybe it's just my imagination/a complete coincidence. I don't know whether the sims (did happen in PC2 as well) "guess" these things before they happen or whether they just react to what is happening right now.

Could be a bug, i don't know. I don't have too much time to test right now, so maybe it is just a coincidence/placebo effect. But also in other games it seems like the stutter almost disappeared. Only games where it really bothers me now are rF2 (just online with few, but long freezes) and IL2 BoS, where i get some stutters/short freezes as well. Didn't try too many other games (mostly other racing sims and Forza Horizon 4) and they run all quite good now.

Jego likes this.