Bad experience with speed limiters in mods and top speed in pit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by momoracer, Jan 7, 2018.

1. momoracer

momoracer Registered

For example, the 1988 mod in 1988 Spa here, you can see pit speed limit is 400km/h... really?
    This car in particular has no speed limiter availible, not sure if the real life model had one, but at least they could have added the right speed limit in the pits of 1988 which im not sure how it was back then.

[​IMG]

I tried a couple other, I think it was the 1996 one, with Schumacher's Ferrari, and for some reason the speed limiter limited the speed on the 4th gear and top speed on pit was like 200km/h... why is this mess happening? what's so difficult with getting these set at the proper values? I can't properly race like this.

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is precisely for simulating that the car didn't use speed limiter. It is easier to provide an unrealistic value that noone will use since it does nothing.

On the other question track limit depends on the track in rF2 as in most real tracks for a given category. There is no better practical way to approach this.

For a given combo you can edit pitlane speed limit in the rfm file.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

F1 had no pit speed limit back then. It was some time in the early 90s I believe that they thought it might be good idea to have a mandated pit speed limit. Until then people were charging in at a few hundred kph in order to save some tenths...

bwana likes this.
  4. momoracer

momoracer Registered

Really? so you could blast through the pitlane? that's insane.

Well, they should add more precise input on the GUI for particular cases. As a noob you see "400km/h" and it feels like a joke, like something is wrong. They should make it say "this pit lane has no specific limit" or something instead of having to enter a ridiculous value. Maybe even tell you "1988 season had no speed limit" or something so you learn something. I just want to be SURE that im playing with everything as correct as possible to the real thing in a particular year.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes, I think that's pretty much how Martin Brundle described the fact that throughout most of his career there wasn't a limit. Of course it's easy in hindsight, at the time it was just accepted (you could say the same about on-track pitstops in the old days, or haybale barriers in the older days, or complete lack of barriers in the even older days...)

I was curious, so checked when this changed. Was after Imola 94 that they introduced a speed limit during qual and race (yes, same race weekend as the Ratzenberger and Senna crashes, but coincidence; there was an incident with a loose wheel injuring mechanics which prompted the speed limit introduction). Since the start of 1993 there was a limit in practice sessions, apparently only 50kph.

If Schumacher's Ferrari was only limited to 200kph (note that it's the speed that's limited, gear shouldn't make any difference) then it's wrong, should have been no faster than 120 (I haven't looked up the history of the actual allowed speeds, but initially in races it was set to 120). But as Spaskis intimated, this can be set by the .rfm in a mod, so that could be the culprit if the mod itself is set correctly.

6. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

Thats right Lazza, speed limit among other safety measures were introduced after Imola 94. Considering there had not been a death during a race weekend in over a decade, decisions were made to ban electronic driver aids. Due to the power and the removal of these aids, the cars were very unstable. Even Senna said in the lead up to the season that there would be a lot of accidents in 94. 3 races later, we saw the blackest weekend in the sport.
    Pit limit was introduced at the following race due to a Minardi tyre coming loose and injuring a Ferrari crew member at Imola.
    Interesting side note: another change for 1994 was the re-introduction of mid-race refueling. This came back to bite when Jos Verstappen(Max's father) was injured during refuelling at Hockenheim. (I used to work in fire safety and my boss had the photos of this up on the wall in the office)

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ah yes, Jos' peak in the sport... until he punted Montoya off at Brazil, after being lapped :D

(no disrespect meant to Jos at all - even modern 'pay drivers' don't get there without a heap of talent - those incidents just stick out for me as things I remember him in F1 for. And I clapped when he took Montoya out :p)

8. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Le Mans 1955 was the blackest, caused by there being no separation between the circuit and the pits. Hawthorn had just overtaken a slower Healey then pulled across into his pit, causing the Healey to swerve into Levegh who was launched into the crowd, killing 83 spectators.

9. bwana

bwana Registered

The Dutch had a name for him that translated to ‘ sand trap Jos ‘

10. bwana

bwana Registered

Yes that was so horrible , the Healy continued on after the incident as well.