Background query - Fog

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Drathuu, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Just a short query -

WIP of Real life track - This is very early alpha pics. Everything is placeholder (textures included) yes its ugly i know - whilst i test out circuit layout and track surface undulations.
    I wanted to put in the mountains background into the game to get a feel for depth on the track within the landscape. I noted initially the fog was extremely close and clouded most things (terrain wall is at 2000 from circuit centre).

I have set fog in the .scn file to 3000 to 5000 based on trials in the viewer ... picture 1 - i will lower it a little later, but want the mountains clear - I will also get a clean unshaded mountain shot later for final release.. With these settings though once packed and in game the fog comes back.. I have doublechecked the correct scene file was packaged, but have a large discrepancy... the mountains in this track are an awesome backdrop for this track and almost always dominate in real life (good weather)... so i mostly dont want them fogged in on a clear day..

Is there something i am missing ? or is this how the game is going to render it no matter the fog settings ?
    One thought i had is the "Wall" is vertical.. is it something the lighting engine is doing when shading a vertical surface ??? (the viewer doesnt do it though) which i thought was pretty much the end result.

Any thoughts ?

in viewer and settings from scene file
    [​IMG]

in game
    [​IMG]

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Reduce the value for FogDensity in the scn file of the track.

3. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Thanks for the quick response that fixed it. I had the default value of 0.002 in there. i guess the viewer ignores that value when loading in the scene.

4. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

true the viewer ignore fog settings from SCN file.

5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

The other thing it could be, I believe, is the air density / turbidity in the HDR settings. Maybe... Or maybe that only affects the sky dome.

6. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Nah Tosch was correct using FogDensity=(0.00001) fix it.. my .scn file had it set at 0.002