Back up your settings folder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GrimDad, Sep 11, 2019.

1. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Just a heads up to back up your settings folder.
    Yesterday I lost my settings folder & the back up which were both in my userdata/player folder.
    I also lost my controller folder and had to reconfigure my controls.

I've lost all my setups and skins so back up yours today and keep the back up on another drive.

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

That's no good.
    Did a ssd or hdd die?

Car setups are saved on the Steam Cloud ;)..........If you haven't turned it off. :oops:
    I'm not sure what else, if anything, is stored there as well.

edit: I had a quick look in my steam install and found a file called remotecache.vdf at
    Steam\userdata\yourID\365960
    I opened it with notepad and it has all of my car setups and nothing else.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    GrimDad likes this.
  3. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

No none of my hard drives died all is working fine on the pc side of things. I don't sync to steam cloud.

I 100% didn't accidentally delete these files and the first I knew that something was wrong was when I fired up rF2 and had no controls. When I went into load controls there weren't any. I opened the installation folder and the controllers folder was gone. I run the verify game files it downloaded 39 files. Reconfigured my controls then saved, went to load the skin of the car I was about to drive and that wasn't there either. When I checked the settings folder I only had track names of the Mills tracks where I was about to drive.
    I am stumped as to what happened and really gutted about losing the setups as I'd put in alot of hours making them.

I checked that file (remotecache.vdf) and it only shows a record of what was there. I turned on the sync and it downloaded a bunch of old setups from the ISI days back before I turned it off I guess.

4. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Good grief! 3.7 G of AI skins in my settings folder! Versus only 1.7 M of setup files.

Assuming you have 7-zip then this will archive everything excepts skins in two files, one small one with just your settings, another (still small, 3 M in my case) with rrbin files and stuff

Code:
    7z a %LOCALAPPDATA%\rFactor2settingsSetupsOnly -r "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\*.svm"

Code:
    REM The rest except AI skins
    7z a %LOCALAPPDATA%\rFactor2settingsNoSkins -r -xr!*.dds -xr!*.svm -xr!*.db -xr!*.mas  "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings"

dir %LOCALAPPDATA%\rFactor2settings*.*

enduser, GrimDad and lagg like this.