Aux Springs

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Feralarri, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Feralarri

Feralarri Registered

I posted this in the DevBlog section also but wondering if anyone can help me here. In regards to the SpringAux line in the HDV is the always on spring rate added to the normal spring rate or is there a calculation such as springa * springb / (springa+springb). I am looking at adding this feature to our mod as they are now starting to use this feature now in real cars.
    Any help or discussion would help.

Thanks

2. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

You have the correct equation for effective spring rate for springs in series.
    I would assume that since the parameter is described as <helperSpringRate> Spring Rate of the Helper is exactly what rf2 wants for the input, and the effective rate is calculated per your equation.

I'm still unsure exactly how to use this, because in practice usually at some point your helper springs coil bind and the effective rate becomes equal to the main spring's rate. If the helper is always on, this point is never reached nor is the switch over point defined anywhere. Other than allowing the values in the garage to look nice (something that could be done with special value definitions), what is the purpose?

Feralarri likes this.
  3. Feralarri

Feralarri Registered

Thanks for the replay lordpantsington. I agree that at some point the helper should coil bind and revert to main spring rate but without the game knowing where that travel point is or defining the spring length I don't see how this can work as we would like. I believe at the moment it is just always on and using the formula above it has the effect of reducing the main spring rate. It does however if you option 1 in the values allow negative spring rate on helper which stops travel beyond main spring length having no spring rate at all but I don't know how you define that when main spring length is not defined. Also helper spring rate does not appear in menu that I can see so it would be hard for people to setup a car with the helper spring rate and or main spring rate unknown value due to the spring equation.
    PS do you know of a way to see spring rate at each wheel in MODDEV. With that you could prove the resulting spring rate

4. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

{Last in first out}
    Through telemetry you can see the compression of the damper, and as long as the weight balance/bias remains constant, the only thing changing the damper length is spring rate.

At the very least, use of an upgrade could allow for variation in the helper rate.

There was mention of custom garage parameters tied into the ultra chassis, I've yet to try it myself, but it might already be possible to add in the custom helper rate selection.

I had a thought that negative spring rate option might be the key to getting the behavior I'd expect, (if the travel distances are set for when the main spring takes over, then the additional rebound travel from the extension of the helper spring must be negative...), but then I read it again and it says rate, not travel.

Feralarri likes this.
  5. Feralarri

Feralarri Registered

ISI, Studio 397, Tim or Michael Can you tell me whether the SpringAux can be displayed in Garage screen and if so can this be set up with a special setting to offer a change of helper spring rates.