Audio surround

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Rik, May 29, 2014.

1. Rik

Rik Registered

RF2 has an excellent stereo sound. now missing its evolution. the audio is stereo only. setting the audio in 5.1 it is always stereo. this is a very important sector. the audio is just as important as the image. maybe more. I hope it is a priority. other SIM are able to attract many users for advanced audio. which plays the car coming from behind. simulation needs this.
    So in my wish list i put: audio surround

please ISI do this. Thanks!

Wanderer and patchedupdemon like this.
  2. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

+927.235.728

To be honest: 5.1 is managed by rF2 when the Reverb effect appear. All other sounds are stereo only. It's balanced, because sounds appear where they have to appear in the stereo, but they are not managed through all 5.1 speakers. E.g. A car coming from left/behind will be heard on left front speaker (so the "left" is at least fine). So that's mean IMO than sounds are called with the good 3D coordinates and volume, and somewhere, they finally end in only the 2 main speakers.

I'm sorry to jump on this thread and to once again explain my frustration about rF2 and sound management. people should be annoyed I repeat each time the same things... At least, I didn't start the thread, thanks OP ;)

3. datanode

datanode Registered

I too am very disappointed with sound. There are so many things to love about this sim and where it is going.

But I hear little about audio being prioritised and it just isn't an audio engine up to scratch at the moment. I hope I have just missed this, as I also believe it to be an important aspect of immersion.

4. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

A while back Tim said they are working on proper surround sound, so at least it is on their to do list.

5. datanode

datanode Registered

That's good news, I hope the audio quality improves. I wonder how many mics they used to record engine sounds. 6 combined should do it :)

4 external two internal. Also I wonder if the sound engine is capable of producing what I hope to hear :/

It's isn't just reverb effects :S

6. Rik

Rik Registered

Up for audio improvement.
    Audio 5.1 is needed for better realism. :D i no need directx 11 or 12 or 13, but audio, i think audio is better than graphics. or better: i like present graphic level i need only better audio for better realism. i ask a lot if i ask to you if there is some developer engaged with 5.1 audio improvement? thanks

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It's actually the other way around...what rFactor and almost every game needs is a much more deep and complex sound engine REGARDLESS of whether it's in 2.0 or 5.1.

Having the exact same sound dynamics but just coming from a few more directions (5.1) doesn't fix anything, you just get the exact same sound dynamics but just get some more specific positioning of what direction the sound is coming from. The actual sounds are still the same though.

Listen to the millions of non-5.1 YouTube real-life car videos. They sound amazing and they're just in 2.0. it has nothing to do with 5.1 and everything to do with the pure sound engine itself.

Of course 5.1 is nicer than 2.0, don't get me wrong, but that doesn't change the sound, it just makes the same sound come out of more directions.

Water flowing out of 6 taps instead of 2 is still just water. What we need is to replace that water with some amazing wild and natural exotic fruit beverage, then, sure, we can make it flow out of 6 taps instead of 2, but the beverage itself is what needs to be improved.

8. Rik

Rik Registered

lol nice post Spinelli, i agree with you but
    the directionality of the sound in a driving simulator is spectacular.
    you can hear the car before seeing it from the mirrors.
    You can listen the car in front of you and listen your engine behind. the screech of the front wheels.
    pure immersion. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  9. Rik

Rik Registered

Do you like this juice? :D

10. Rik

Rik Registered

Or do you like water? :D

11. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Agree 100%. Directional sounds are really amazing on immersion side. Some other sims/games have this greatly implemented and it's really a big improvement when driving to be able to hear another car before even seen because it's in some dead mirror angles or to know which one(s) of you tire is/are currently skidding.

Now if we also change water to Champagne (French inside) I will not complain! ;)

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I never heard other cars around me i'n real life racing. You don't experience or rely on that at all i'n real-life racing. It's just another one of those things that are so wrongly done i'n so many sims compared to real-life. The only thing I had was my mirrors, nothing else including any sounds from behind or even to the side (unless the opponents exhaust tip is right there practically i'n your face). Hearing cars all around you, approaching you from behind, etc. - when you're i'n a racing car i'n a sim - is a cool but unrealistic effect :) . Don't hate, I'm just being 100% honest.

5.1 would still be great though, don't get me wrong.

13. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I agree Spinelli, but as a SimRacer behind is computer this is a great feature for sure ;) Like been able to switch to auto-clutch by a key press or have an HUD with lot of information on your "windshield" ;) An option for "realistic sounds" could do what you experimented in RL too, everybody happy :)

14. Rik

Rik Registered

Spinelli in Real life you wear a helmets, maybe is for this you not hear other cars?

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

No, it's because your own car is so loud and over-powering that you don't hear anything else. You don't even hear your own tyres lock unless your revs are really, really low, even then you hardly hear it. You hardly hear tyre screeching either, while your finding the limit. Cars behind you are not loud, not compared to your own engine strapped 3 inches away from your head, your car engine/exhaust is just too loud, the sound of it fills your entire brain, lol :) . In fact even when cars are in front of you their exhaust facing towards you, you only hear them if they are very close to you, as soon as they get 15 or 20 feet in front of you then they are pretty much muted.

I still would love 5.1 don't get me wrong. Plus, if you are driving a quiet roadcar, and someone is driving a modified car with modified exhaust, them I'm sure you will be able to hear the car even if it is behind you. But that's a special circumstance. For the most part, you only hear the other cars when they are within 20 or so feet in front of you, or right beside you with the exhaust almost in your face :) other than that you just hear your own car/engine/exhaust/transmission/differential, etc. Sometimes you can hear brake squeal from your own car. But that is usually car specific.

16. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I will love to have such realistic sound option, with 5.1 enabled in any case: E.g. you crashed and your engine is now off, and can here other cars thanks to directional sounds around you. Currently only reverbs wake up rear speakers, and if you're stuck after a crash, other cars engine come only from left and right front speaker, even if they com from the rear (immersion--). Sounds engine need some more love IMO, and I guess as reverb trigger rear speaker it's "just" a question of balancing correctly all sounds.

17. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Or maybe as an option to select between existing sound engine and if your PC can handle it an option for true 5.1 sound.

How does iracing, pCars and AC compare to rfactor2?

18. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Rik's comparison between RL and ingame really shows what we missing out on.

19. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I didn't launch pCars for month but it was pretty good on directionnal 5.1 sounds.

AC, if we stay on the directional sounds department (not starting any kind of other discussion here AC vs rF2) have a really good directional sounds engine. Each tires are independent in your speakers, engine is in front or in rear like in RL, etc. You can hear other cars exactly from where they come, etc. This is really a great things (even if not realistic as it should, I agree Spinelli) and as SimRacer is something really I want to see in all driving Sims I play. Simply amazing, no doubt, and it work fine with my heaphone (real 5.1, 4 speakers on each side, Roccat Kave) than on my 2 other 5.1/7.1 sounds systems at home (depending where I play in house). When I show all Sims I have people just get stuck on AC just due to the sounds all around you. Having this in rF2 will be Heaven ;)

20. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

+1 on proper directional sounds.

As far as ingame, I think they're alright in rF2. I've never actually been "wow'd" by any games sounds to be honest and I don't see any games coming close to real life sounds in the near future. Also, don't forget my sound experience could be quite different than the next fellows. Sound cards, amps, speakers, headphones all have an effect on what the end user hears. For example I've tried Sennheiser HD800's and they are phenomenal, they blow away any $200 headphones out there using the same soundcard.