Audi GT3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tosh, Jul 22, 2019.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It is always balancing act, you could have matching pressures by default on all tires if you would make them work equal amount per lap, and of course if a track would allow that. Setup is also big factor for "sending" work for tires, basically majority stuff in setup is all about managing tires.

It is still very interesting how and if lowest pressures really results in greater contact patches, as some may know that too low pressure would unload middle of the tire too much, but perhaps pressures that are that low are not allowed. And there should be more disadvantages of course.

tosh likes this.
  2. tosh

tosh Registered

creat community :). That was the setup, I think with 115L (modified max fuel):

Attached Files:

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I found the wear to be rather even with full downforce, a bit more preload for diff, hardest front ARB and removed rear ARB. Just testes multiple things... It is not hard to get tire wear to be quite even. But anything I have done tire wear remained practically the same around percent per lap, and it felt like it gradually wears slightly faster as I push car more and do more sliding. I have done multiple test each time doing a warm up lap and four fast laps. Didn't record any data. Did test with full fuel tank, and with lowest pressures. Neither full tank or lowest pressures seemed to make tire wear noticeably worse. Perhaps slightly faster, but I also did too few laps, it could possibly wear faster later for me, but generally seems like a percent per lap. And yes lowest tire pressures at least in this case definitely made me faster more than a second per lap. Then full fuel tank instead of default load made me almost a second slower, back to default tire pressures pace, it would actually be interesting to test full fuel tank and default tire pressures...

I did test on saturated conditions. Naturally less sliding, though when I clip marbles or go off the ideal line I did slide quite a lot with Audi.

@tosh try using more downforce, Znadvoort is all curves anyway, hardest front arb, to shift more mechanical grip balance to the rear. And those cambers might be unnecessarily large, but I am unsure, after all lowest pressures should provide plenty of flex so perhaps you use all of it.

4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Tosh I was curious so did a quick run on an oval (Nazareth) on medium tyres. I didn't have your setup so I did defaults and my 1st rough set I did there a few months ago.
    Its a short lap at 27 sec and it's very hard on the outside tyres but still it can show some basic things.
    The best lap was lap 3-4 and after lap 7 the cornering grip and lap time degrades.
    As you state it correlates with an increase of pressure and temps in the tyres.
    I ran 16 laps and had 91% wear. Front and rear wear was even. At 91% wear the lap time had degraded by 0.4 sec.
    Later looking at the photos of your set I noticed a couple of things.
    Ride height: Rear ride height is much lower than where I got to with mine. These mods are quite sensitive to this. This can do a couple of things; a) The diffuser gets very effective but can cause understeer, I see you have a lower rear wing (3 vs my 4) which can in some way compensate. b) it can get unpredictable when the car goers over bumps or I guess even under brakes. The seal between the diffuser and the road will vary a lot. To me this phenomenon feels like the rear is pinned to the road and the car won't rotate then suddenly it does.
    Rear Camber, The pics show -3.3. I think that is very high and only slightly lower than front. I found -2.0 even better than -2.5 (defaults). This can possibly cause overheating/wear when you try to get drive from a corner. It also impacts engine braking due to smaller contact patch.
    Diff Preload, I went lower (3 vs 4). The car rotated better.

I need go back to check what tyres you used. Edit: I see you are on softs.

My first take on this is that the rear ride height and rear camber are making the rear a bit unpredictable and once the tyres lose some grip the handling suffers.

I would suggest testing changes with hard tyres and diff pre load on minimums. This will make the chassis setup more "exposed", you can increase diff again later. You can also quickly adjust for softer tyres later. The hards will tend to be a little more oversteery.
    You might also want to test in single player with accelerated tyre wear and fuel use, this will allow more convenient simulated full stint testing.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    tosh likes this.