ATI graphics optimization

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by NightnDay, Jan 11, 2012.

1. lokers

lokers Registered

I couldn't get my rF2 to run at a decent framerate (about 15 fps on the starting grid in Malaysia) until I turned my shadows settings from medium to low. In this setting the car shadows are not shown, and my fps shot up to 60 with vsync on. This means that the frame rate improvement was more than 4 times from this alone. I noticed on the video in this thread with the 3 monitors, shadows were not visible under the cars either, so perhaps that is one of the deciding factors.
    I hope that they will fix up the shadow code so that I get at least some simple form of shadows under the cars without too much graphics overhead.

2. Joshua Healy

Joshua Healy Registered

I'm using a Sapphire 6770 GPU with an FX4100 CPU...
    At everything maxed out except for a 1280x1024 resolution due to an old monitor for now I can hit 80 FPS while on track with 5 other cars (which I do most of the time for hotlapping) and I started a race in the F1 cars at Monaco with 14 AI cars, minimum FPS was 20 but it was still smooth enough to drive perfectly.

I also did most of a race in the Meganes at Mills starting from the rear of grid with 20 cars and didn't go below 25 with an average of around 60 FPS.

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I just didn't understand the dude that said rf2 is unplayable with a 7950...lol. It's definitely playable.

This has probably been mentioned before but after setting the AA settings in CCC to override application setting I got a 20FPS boost. I'm not really sure that makes sense though. It seems I get less FPS during cloudy periods at Spa than when the sun is out.

4. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Well it is not playable for me with my 7950. there is so bad stuttering that it is almost impossible to play , atleast cant i cant enjoy playing game that lag like hell after been used to 120hz refresh rate and high fps = totally smooth gameplay i got with my GTX580. After fiddling with settings,turned shadow blur off,taking aa down to x4 and other small tweaks i got fps to be decent around 70-100 but still getting heavy stuttering in every few seconds.

5. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

My friend just bought 7950... and he gets fps lower not only than GTX 460 1GB, but also compared to GTX 260 SP216 :)

Reseting plr file and reinstalling drivers (12.2) didn't help. He will probably reinstall OS (Win 7 x64) just to check if that helps. If not, we will continue searching.

6. nuggetz

nuggetz Registered

I have an ageing processor Q6600 but its overclocked to 3.2Ghz. Running ATI 5970 @ 2560x1600 on a 30 inch panel. If I set HDR on and set the time of day to force the street lights on I get 5 FPS in Monaco. Another thing I noticed is if you set the time of day to 8PM, with HDR off - the lights looks like white spots on the ground. Very overexposed and too bright. However, with HDR on, it looks amazing but I cannot drive at 5 FPS.