ATI Drivers

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by taufikp, Feb 21, 2012.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

AMD Catalyst 12.2 WHQL Win 7 | Vista 64-bit driver
    CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

AMD Catalyst 12.2 WHQL Win 7 | Vista 32-bit driver
    CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

AMD Catalyst 12.2 WHQL Win XP 32-bit driver
    CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

Meh, AMD has done it again, confuse people with releasing a 12.2 driver but when you install this package, it will show 12.3 as the version number. The drivers/apps inside this 12.2 (8.95 package) is the same as 12.3 pre WHQL. So, if you have 12.3 pre WHQL installed, then you already have this 12.2 WHQL driver.

2. xAcid9

xAcid9 Registered

You're the funny guy, AMD already mentioned when they release pre-WHQL that it will be the exact same driver as WHQL. The reason they released pre-WHQL earlier was because they missed the dateline to get the WHQL certificate from Microsoft on Feb. :p

I'm using v8.96 February 28th atm, other than PowerPlay not working, this driver set is pretty solid for rFactor2 and other games i'm currently playing.

3. taufikp

taufikp Registered

If that the reason, the latest WHQL driver should be called 12.3, but AMD couldn't call it 12.3 because apparently they have their own agenda of releasing a driver monthly (the version number format is based on year dot month). If this monthly release is truly the case, maybe soon (end of March?) we'll get a 12.3 WHQL driver based on 8.96 package (14 & 28 feb), despite all problems it has with crossfire and higher cards (as I had compiled them based on people reports and put them in the positive/negative list). Hopefully it will be fixed when they release the certified driver.

4. can`t wait 4 rF2

can`t wait 4 rF2 Registered

Read this http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2816-Erster-Eindruck/page4 and forget AMD :p

5. Bart S

Bart S Member

Come on man we are in a beta, early days, we still have months to go. Beta is here to get things right for release involving the entire rFactor fan base. You shouldn't postin things like forget AMD, by the time rF2 is final AMD will be on par with nVidia. As I learned also today rF2 does not rely on physx AMD stands to be just as fast as nVidia by release date if not faster when there will be better driver support on the 7000series cards. Do you think that when nVidia release kepler cards they will be perfect first time, its possible but I dont think so. I am AMD at moment but if I go out and buy an nVidia card because of the current beta status where nVidia is x amount of times faster than AMD and at release date I find that AMD have turned out trumps I would be gutted wouldnt you. I wanna play rf2 in ultra in eyefinty with 100+ frames just like everybody, but I'm gonna wait till the race is finished and gamble on a sure thing.

6. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Well im 99% sure AMD wont ever be par in rf2 with nvidia. I have both GTX 570 1,28GB and HD7950 3Gb and latter one works a lot worse. And before you pull the beta card again its same story in rfactor1 and all other racing sims i play. I also had 6970 before and that also worked a lot worse than nvidia at rf1 so i think its just due the AMD drivers that are not optimized very well for not so known titles

As for now

rf1

GTX570 400fps+
    HD7950 240-280fps

rF2

GTX570 100-150fps
    HD7950 25-120fps (+insane stuttering)

If you dont play racing sims a lot 7950 is really good card as in recent titles it blows away 570 by big margin, just shame that in games i play most it works so badly.

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I don't get any stuttering with my 7950 in rF2.

8. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Or you dont notice it / dont want to notice it ;). I have 120hz monitor so even smallest stutters looks severe after beeing used to really smooth gameplay that i got with other games. All my friends with ati cards have had really bad stuttering since last patch with AMD/ATI cards no matter what drivers they use so you really must have something different if you get silky smooth gameplay. Afterall its not only 7 series AMD cards that runs crappy with this gameon AMD:s side.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
  9. can`t wait 4 rF2

can`t wait 4 rF2 Registered

At THIS TIME, nVIDIA is the best solution to have good performance and a perfect look. I know, what BETA means, buddy.

Why should I hire myself having trouble with bad Grafiks, if i can change it with a few Euro?

I have up to 150% Frames plus (vs. 4890) with the GTX580. If i see what gives us a 7950 :p

10. Bart S

Bart S Member

I am thankfull for your information and suggestions I prefer to be in the know than to guess and make a mistake in a purchase, however rf2 release date is not for quite some time by which you will see the new kepler cards from nVidia which claim upto twice the performance of the current equivelent model, and 7000 series may be more optimised. I think from my perspective I can sit a wait and see what happens in june - july, 7000 series will price drop then too.

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Sorry dude but 60hz monitor here and no stuttering other than first pulling out of the pit area but that's a know issue in rF2. I'm pretty sure I'd notice "massive stuttering" but maybe you see through my eyes better than I do. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  12. corsa

corsa Registered

Exact same experience here. I have two 5770's using Crossfire and I don't get any stuttering at all except for pulling out of the pits the first time.

Now, I'm also not getting the crazy-high fps that nvidia users are getting (I get 85-90 fps on Spa with everything on max, but reflections turned off), but I'm also not seeing any stuttering, it is very smooth.

13. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Ditto for me too, 6950 2 GB card, and no stuttering except for my initial trip out of the pits, after that, smooth as silk....Using driver version 12.2

14. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

yeah smooth as silk here too, am using 2x 6950 and 12.2 using vsync

15. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Well i havent used vsync so could be that it does the trick to make it smooth. But enabling that is not really option in racing games as it adds input lag.

16. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

well i Cant feel any lag?

17. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Well if you dont feel it i guess it dont make difference for you. But simple its known fact that vsync adds input lag and i can certainly feel/saw it.

18. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

well strange that it effects your system and NOT mine? I play all my games/sims/flight and racing with vsync as I can not stand image tearing, and yet none seem to have any input lag at all :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  19. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Well as i said if you dont notice it then its not problem for you. That still doesnt mean it isnt there! Simple fact is that when you enable vsync it does add input lag and there is nothing you could do about it, some peoples notices it, some not (in this case probably so used when using it long time to that it feel like there is no lag).

Wont bother to explain technical reasons why it happens but you could always try out frined google and see what it brings.

That bit same thing than multi gpu micro stuttering, some peoples notices it and some not but its still always there.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  20. Duvel

Duvel Registered

If you always use it, chances are you just got used to it. I always use v-sync too as the jittery mess games are without it puts me off more than a little bit of lag. You can adapt and get used to tiny amounts of lag quite easily, it won't affect anything after a while.