ATI Drivers

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by taufikp, Feb 21, 2012.

1. taufikp

taufikp Registered

I found a strange thing with 8.96 driver package. This strange thing did not happen with driver 12.3 pre WHQL, 12.2, or 12.1.

After running rFactor in Windowed mode to test my GlovePIE script, I close the window, then I opened ATI CCC, and I saw that the clock was switched from Overdrive (3D) mode to normal (2D) mode. So, I thought, everything is going on as they use to be.

Now, with ATI CCC window still opened, I ran Mozilla Firefox Beta 11, then I noticed that the clock was switched back and forth between 2D and 3D mode every time I clicked on Firefox and desktop or other window/app! This is maddening, because every time the clock was switched, there was a flicker on the lower part of the screen (but this is also a "proof" that Firefox Beta 11 is really using Direct3D, not using all of its features of course, since I enabled Firefox's Hardware Accelerated feature).

But the strange thing is, switching to Windows 7 Aero (with ATI CCC running) did not trigger this mad clock switching. I always thought Windows Aero needed Direct3D to run? :confused:

Thankfully, this problem is easy to solve.

I kill all ATI CCC processes via Task Manager, then I ran ATI Tray Tools. Set ATT to use Auto Overclocking and the clock switching is gone. Poof! :)

2. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The microstutter can be a tenacious and trickly little bastard. I used to have 5 rF1 installations (one with all sorts of stuff thrown together and 4 for specific mods or types of mod, so HistoriX by itself, Endurance Racing mods together etc.) and on three of the installations I had stutter, and on two of them I didn't have. All had equal performance otherwise, reinstalling them helped in some cases, not in others, etc. Just wast able to pinpoint anything, it just seemed to happen on some installations for some unknown reasons, while not affecting the others. All were installed on the same drive, and the one with everything mixed together included just about all of the mods in the other installations minus HistoriX, and strangely it was one of the ones that didn't stutter, so I can't even say it was any specific mod that did it...

Annoying litter bugger.

3. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

i Allready gaved up with this game and AMD, tried all kind of settings and tweaks but this HD 7950 works just horribly and makes the game totally unplayable. Such a shame as new games works really well with this, but older games + rf2 just dont co operate with this at all.

Will revert back to nvidia in few days and have smooth gameplay again.

4. yoghurt

yoghurt Registered

8.96 is not working for me. I lost 5-15 fps on each track. Using a ATI Radeon HD 5450

5. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

LOL dunno what is going on in this game with AMD. Just switched Asus GTX 570 to my system and now im getting 100-130fps and silky smooth gameplay at malaysia with meganes (20 AI:s) when with with HD7950 im getting all beetween 110-35 and its stuttering so badly that its just unplayable.

So my advice is if you want to play this game proberly best choice is just stick with nvidia. I have always been AMD/ATI guy but now i just have to skip it as its simple not working.

6. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

I wouldn't switch hardware because of ONE game that is still in beta stage. Many games coming out (final release) still need some time to get optimized. (either through a patch or through driver optimization. And this counts for both ATI and NVDIA). Considering that AMD cards run very well on all other games, I wouldn't say this is a pure ATI issue.... Since last beta release ATI cards are much better supported by RF2. Neither ISI nor ATI will accept that RF2 is not running fine on ATI. I'm more than sure that this will be sorted out within the next releases.

7. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Pretty much this. People have brand preferences but an early beta piece of software should not solely define a possibly $400 purchasing decision.

8. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Well i explained myself poorly, its not only rf2 where AMD is failing atm. Pretty much any DX9 games (inluding all sim racing games i play ) works tons better with nvidia. It almost makes you feel like AMD driver department just concentrates only to most recent titles and leaves bit older games to gather dust. Im sure Nvidia dont really pay much attention to older games either but in some reason it still works a lot better.

9. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

I've never experienced that. Hell, conventional wisdom has it that, especially with titles produced by Bethsoft and the likes, ATI is still the way to go. Racing sims I have less knowledge of, I've never really seen them benchmarked.

10. can`t wait 4 rF2

can`t wait 4 rF2 Registered

i installed this driver and got only a blue screen and windows would`nt start again:mad:

11. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

what are your pc specs, and did you uninstall the old drivers first?

12. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Found another issue with beta 8.96 driver (feb 14).

With this driver now Richard Burns Rally will not run with d3d9 injector active. I tried FXAA injector, SMAA injector, and ENB Series, all fail and RBR will crash and return to desktop. :(

13. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

also issues with beta 8.96 driver. It seems that the GFX card is not waking up from the new GPU "sleep mode" on the 7970.
    I would not recommend to use this driver at the moment.

14. can`t wait 4 rF2

can`t wait 4 rF2 Registered

Look at my Sys Specs.
    I only yoused ATI/AMD for years but now i`m finished with this company.
    Last night i ordered a GTX580 and i hope now will be everything fine :cool:

15. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

people try to Remember these 8.96 are only alpha ones that were leaked and not released by ati so use them at your own risk. I have gone back to the 12.2 preview ones due to the gpu clocks not throttling back after 3d.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012
  16. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

12.2 official now

17. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Mine says 12.3. lol.

18. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

As does mine lol ;)

19. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Still 12.1 when I search drivers for my puny 6870.

20. taufikp

taufikp Registered

After rebooting Windows due to some Windows security updates, which IMO has nothing to do with graphic department at all, now I can run RBR with d3d9 injectors again! And Mozilla Firefox also doesn't trigger 2D/3D clock switching anymore. This 8.96 is sure very strange, but it's running very well now. And I don't get any problem as listed on the positive/negative list at all.

I'm happy again :D