ATI 12.6 and AA Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

For those who don't have them yet, the latest 12.6 drivers for ATI provide a small performance boost, at least on my rig.

I am using "Applicaton controlled" settings because they seem to look and work better for me. However, I have a very basic question that may reveal my ignorance:

Why does the AA setting only go up to Level 3 in the menu? Is there another way to boost it higher? There is still some serious AA jaggies (at least with ATI) on Level 3. I am using AF x16. Some things look great, but then certain lines or objects have very nasty-looking jaggies--as though it is on purpose that it is not uniform.

The graphics (HDR on) look very impressive to me except for this AA issue and the strobing shadows problem. Once those two are resolved and we have some more performance optimization from ISI, it will be sweet!

2. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Save yourself some headache and just set your video card settings to default and turn HDR ON and turn FXAA ON- with the AA setting in the Config panel to 1, Right Now this Beta isn't ready to present very Hi AA/AF filtering.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

OK, so I gather from your comment that it is expected that some objects have poor AA.

Why Level 1? I thought FXAA was instead of traditional AA? If not, wouldn't Level 2 look even better?

Lastly, the tree shadows are probably the most annoying graphically. Very distracting and unrealistic looking. I hope those will also get fixed as we proceed.

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

At least on my comp the three AA levels correspond with the three "levels" in the Catalyst Control Center, meaning level 1 = 2x, level 2 = 4x and level 3 = 8x. Can your GPU go above 8x in CCC?

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

No, 8x is max. Are these to be used instead of FXAA or alongside it?

Of course in the CCC, there are also the more subtle AA selections and options besides just 2x, 4x and 8x.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
  6. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

FXAA and AA are basically the same-
    Quick Question do you run InCar view?

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Exclusively.

8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Well you can change the filter types and morphological filter tickboxes however you like (for maximum image quality for example) while still letting the game select the AA level.

FXAA is a low resource way of handling AA, but not a hugely effective one, though you can use both to supplement each other.

9. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Since your using the InCar view- you can take in consideration your viewing through a dirty windshield, so trying to run all settings at max is just going to hurt your fps considering most of the detail is blocked. You can try running a 4X4X3 setup for AA that works very well with my ATI Card. (4X -Video Card AA / 4x -InGame Graphics AA / Level 3 Config Panel) I personally didnt see any Better detail using higher settings Wile racing InCar view. IMO-

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've been fiddling about with the CCC settings and what "looks" and "feels" best but I cant rest on any configuration yet, think I'll just plump for HDR, FXAA, AA x2, Ingame x4 for now and be done with it.
    Once it nears Gold or even released then I'll start to muck around some more, quite some optimising to be done yet I should think so that will help as well.

11. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

Is anyone else getting zigzag lines in the menus and garage with 12.6 ?

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

While I wait for answers to questions above, perhaps someone could help me with a CCC issue. I used to have only two presets: one for rF1 and one for everything else in the world. rF1 needed Super Sampling and everything else does not. As I play around with rF2 and some other titles, I am finding now that I have many presets...customized for these new titles.

How the *&^%(* do you attach them to the games/executables so they will load automatically when you run the software. Having to click the AMD icon and manually set the preset every time I launch a game is getting old really fast. However, I can't see any way to associate them with external software titles and even Google couldn't help me! I would appreciate any wisdom!

13. OzzyNeil

OzzyNeil Registered

Hi Marc, I don't use it but is it the Application profiles in the 3D application Settings section, or is that something different.

14. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Well since I installed the 12.6 driver I have only noticed in my control panel in windows 7 that my performance was at 7.9 before now using this driver it has dropped to 7.2 :( well Im just glad ordered a new nvidia gtx 670 today as I am fed up of ati

15. Zizza

Zizza Registered

no problem with rf2 for me... but the problems comes in rf 1... some horizontal lines and frame rate don't go up to 20 fps with hd 6970....

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

What control panel are you talking about?

17. BasJon

BasJon Registered

I was on about the index experience in windows 7

18. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Registered

Every time I install the new 12.6 version, it shows version 12.3 on the software tab. It just won't do the upgrade for some reason. Sorry if its a bit off topic. :confused:

Using win 7 64 bit btw.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Known bug happens with 12.4 installed but reads 12.3 as well.

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I went from 12.4 to 12.6 and it shows 12.6.