At least I got it to run in Dev Mode :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pleclair, Jul 31, 2013.

1. pleclair

pleclair Registered

View attachment 8989

I was curious to see how converting a track was done, and wanted to have Nords sooner than later... so after seeing the post that v2.2a of Nords was free to mod, I set out to learn how to do it.

I followed Spaskis tutorial and got the first part working. Imported succesfully in rF2 dev mode, but I still need to do some stuff. So much to learn at the same time, never done anything like this before, except bit of blender.

There is something odd tho, while trying the track with the trainer car, I noticed there was areas on the track and outside it, where the car wasn't responding to steering. Is it something that is fixable thru the later steps of the tutorial?

Was so excited to be running it, even as ugly as it looked in dev mode, I had to come here and post a shot!

I have quite a bit of time on my hand, I know my way around computers and I'm a fast learner... but as I never done this, I will likely be needing some help down the road.

It's still way too early to ask for help anyway, I'll move on with the tutorial and see if the ffb is working properly at the end of it, and come back to post my findings.

2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Most likely material naming problem. If material name (which are defined in tracks tdf - file) is incorrect, you don't have "physics" on that area of track.

Cheers!

3. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

material name for sure .. grass, tarmac, sand, gravel, concrete .sign writing on the road any thing thats driven on has to have the correct Material name Which is at the top of the list on the right when you click on the material

Look at another track, You will see

Nords ..Big job enjoy ...Its fun in rf2

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Just release it already!!

:p

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

@Jka and R1CHO

Thanks for your inputs! You are right.

At the point where I was yesterday, I only converted it but didn't followed thru the materials swap with the brianza materials properties, but it was already 3am :)

I just spent an hour or so on it, following the tutorial videos, and I'm currently in the process of swapping the materials.

The track build is a lot more complex than the one used in the video (lutzland or whatever its spelled).

For example, the road isn't all named roadxxxx but there are parts like newparts2 etc..

So it's a little complex to start with, and I realize now it is an ambitious project, specially since I wanted to do all the versions included in the 2.2a release.

I will go on and continue tho, as I sort of like that!

As much as I would like to improve the track, with better textures, etc, at this point, I have no idea how to do so...

I have bought Shift 2 and have it installed and unpacked. Yesterday, I wanted to start with this version, since it's real good, and convert that, but found no tutorials or ways to do a shift 2 track convert.

Could I still use some textures and stuff from that version into the 2.2a version? Legalities aside?

At the very least, I will convert the track, and try to have real road working on it, and then in worst case where I can't improve it, someone else could get my work, and start from there. There would be a good part of the work done already at least.

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

:p

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

You will need to remesh the road to make real road work properly. A friend from my website has already managed to follow the tutorial thread that is somewhere around this forum. I will try the track he is converting soon and I will let you know how it feels.

And of course thanks for your effort. I will be glad to betatest it if you need so. I would love to set a 2 or 3 hour endurance race in this track.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Ok, I made some progress!

But I hit my first wall tho.

I swapped all road materials with the brianza one. I packaged my first mas files, and packaged my first single component files.

After a few errors trying to load the track in rF2 (not in dev mode), and rebuilding the packages to fix some naming issues, stuff that auto replace screwed mostly, I got the track to load fine.

However, I'm having this issue. When I press race and get on the track, I see the marshal greeting me, and telling me where to go.

View attachment 9005

But in front of me is grass. I figure I do not appeared where I should have, and this part of the track doesn't have a floor or something. So when I move forward, or try to escape from any sides, I fall down, and reset. I've seen this behavior happens in some tracks, going off track.

I tried to enable autopit, but the AI isn't any better than I at getting out of there!

The track looks a lot better in the real rF2 than what I saw in dev mode yesterday (probably related due to me not setting it up! I sort of assumed it would use my settings, and didn'T expected to be a stand alone game install within).

You can check out what I saw when I first stepped onto the track from where I appeared. Can't wait to drive the sucker!

View attachment 9006

Any ideas on where I should look to fix this issue?

@SPASKIS

I would be pleased to have you as a beta tester when I'll reach that stage! And I also want to thank you for making this nice tutorial! It enabled me and probably many others to start doing things for this wonderful sim that we like!

Regarding "remeshing"... something I never done, what do you mean? Take the existing mesh and add resolution? So more cross sections and stuff?

Can you do this with 3dsimed? Cause I obviously don't have 3dsmax... I learned some blender last year, so I could use that if I need to, but can I in the first place?

I dunno if it's good news or not, but when I drove the track yesterday in dev mode to try it when you do try it in your tutorial, prior to swapping materials, I didn't had a shaky ffb while on track, it was as expected, except when the steering went bye bye due to the materials..

So could the mesh be acceptable for real roads already?

Really happy to be able to do something back to the community that is giving me so much :)

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Usually rf1 tracks have just one triangle or two along the width of the track. In those cases realroad does not work properly. It needs to be fixed with 3dsmax. I need to learn but I will soon...

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 4 Beta

10. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Use ctrl+shift and arrow keys to move the car away from there. That must be the 0,0,0 place. If you want to drive away from there, the grass needs to have HAT tagged in the exporter. You should probably just make an AIW so you don't spawn there anymore.

11. pleclair

pleclair Registered

It turns out that I didn't swapped the pit area materials. So they were appearing strangely as grass.

When I did the swap, everything was fine in dev mode (haven't packaged yet).

Well, almost everything.

There was still a few parts of the tracks that I lost the steering, and it appeared to be happening while I was driving on the graffiti like graphics on the road in many places. Made my 2 laps a real hell!

I also noticed couple other things, that I will probably be able to fix...

All in all, I'm doing fine considering that I've never done anything like this before!

I'll go check in 3dsimed and see what's happening with the graffiti...

12. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I just located the first graffiti from the pit area on the track in 3dsimed, and there is a "tatoo" named tatoo34.gmt.

It haves the same sort of materials properties that the original road had.

My first thought would be to swap the properties of those as well, but do I also need to rename the tatooxx.gmt to roadsurface_tatooxx.gmt as I did for the road?

I also noticed a few offroad location (as I lost control when I stepped on a tatoo when entering a corner for example) that I also wasn't having any steering. But most offroad location I stepped on was fine.

Any ideas?

13. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Keep on trucking pleclair!

14. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

for now just make the tattos driveable, ie the material name but don't make the object racesurface_xxx just leave it as tattoe as there are lots of tattoes and the areas in the runoff need the material change also if its still acting like ice... I know there are plenty of materials to be change on that track

are the tattoes yellow?

pics look good

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks for the input. I'm getting closer and closer!

I made all the tatoos drivable, and sure enough, it fixed the problem. However, I noticed there was still areas where I lost controls. And noticed the skid marks objects.

So I have done the same with the skid marks, set them to drivable, and had to add the materials to the tdf file, then everything was perfect.

I can now lap the full track without losing control! But there is something else (surprise!)

Everywhere there are tatoos and skid marks, when I run over with the car, I feel a bump effect on the steering wheel, and the car acts like if it hit a bump. Depending on the weight transfer on the car (specially on the skip), it can have bad effect, I just even flipped the car on one while braking hard before entering the object.

I checked in 3dsimed the positioning of the object, and they seem flush to the ground. the positions are 0, 0, 0.

I noticed the same thing happening for the sand patches on the side of the track here and there. But they seem to be standing up above the ground in some areas... At least, I've saw one kinda floating, and the car collision with them.

The skid and tatoos are set to render true, drivable true, collision and deformable false, object response none.

The sand patches are set to collision true tho, just saw that. Their positioning is 0,0,0 as well.

Also, is the real track quite a bumpy drive? I know the skip is rough on the wheel, and I dunno how to install cars into dev mode, but there are areas of the track where its rough.

Not Nords 75 rough, but a bit rougher than belgium 67 I would say at times. (I have to try other cars and see)

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks for the support :) You should be driving it "soon" :)

17. pleclair

pleclair Registered

While waiting for a possible solution, I whipped up a loading screen for the track, based on rF2 template.

View attachment 9012

Enjoy :)

EDIT: Just noticed that I just need to take a good screenshot of the track and put it in background

18. pleclair

pleclair Registered

19. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Tag those tatoo objects as "decal",re-export and generate new scn. Then they will be used ingame as decal/painted objects, which will not affect physics.

On those offroad location objects (without RealRoad) has to use material named as "roadxxxx" or "grasxxx". At least those are driveable...;)

Track starts to look good, though more polys are probably needed on asphalt to get Read Road working properly. Another thing is those guardrails. Looks like they are two sided planes, which wont work in rF2 lightning system (no proper shadow casting). They need to be full box. More polys on those would be nice also, as then you have possibility reshape them more round and smooth around corners.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013
  20. Hazi

Hazi Registered

I had those troubles on an other track and tried to lower the skids and such stuff into the ground in 3DSimed till they almost vanished and was acceptable - but that`s not the real deal...deleted them just like you did and stopped converting after that cause I could not get the reflections working right - missing that part in the great tutorial by Spaskis (btw THX! Spaskis- maybe you could do more as you progressed as I can see in your "new" tracks (know you got "angry" cause of some guys)).
    Waiting for the great stuff from Mario in his 3DMax Trackmaker/Scripts but will have to dig into 3DMax and hoping for more video tutorials by Mario - classroom for us noobs please! :)