Assetto Corsa Respectful Comparison

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Minibull, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

That's the point, is exactly one of things I feel with AC... It's feels "right", but is too easy to drive so fast and match real fastest times (Kunos said that you had to push as hell and learn the car and track to achieve It, real times I mean... and find the limitis of the car).

In almos every other sim (GSC, iR, rF, rF2...) you have to LEARN to drive in the limit, race high spec cars of these sims have tons of grip, and cornering and laterall G force supported are the same as in real life, but you have to drive in the correct way (as in real life) to find that grip balancing the car correctly. In these sims you have to work hard to find this grip, and when you finally find It, you can push as a maniac for example with rF2 GTR, Corvette, or even Marussia and F ISI. Even in Skip Barber you have to learn It. If you do not learn to drive the car fast, It will kick your ass, as you can see when rookies test some high spec cars in track days, or Skip Barber schools... or you can also see how them do not push to avoid that scare moments. In rF2 and the rest of sims (not AC), you can push as a maniac from begining with no care because you have no fear to have an accident, and being a rookie you will spin so easily and the if you do not like that you will say It's unrealistic and ice like, when I actually can do weird things (and every experiece simdriver, like every EXPERIENCED real driver) with almost any car, in rF, rF2, iRacing...

In AC you do not have to do all these things, you push the throttle, the cars reacts naturally with any practice, and... THE BEST SIM EVER! Are AC and Kunos just laughing about all the rest of simulators? because they are going in a totally different way? all other sims (GSC, iR, rF, and rF2) are working hard to achieve better and better car reaction, and more accurate and It's for nothing? All other sims have the same "style" despite everyone having his own particular stuff, but AC is totally different, way more easy, way more hard to break grip and way more easy to go at limit with any need to balance the car in limit conditions, just push hard brake and gas pedals...

I'm still thinking It's not the right way to accurate car simulation. Simple videos can show how their cars are not reacting as supposed, just visually you can see that, even more when you try It... this sounds bad, but seems like now "rookie" drivers that before in other seems could not do 5 consecutive laps are now so happy with AC, and drivers who knows how are every other sim and what do you have to learn to drive fast a car feels AC like I'm feeling It, an easy but credible driving style with no more deep.

PD: I'm drivng PC sims since begining 2010, and I have no difficult to drive ANY car in ANY sim, talking about iR, rF, rF2... and for those who said that in RL have no lots of accidents... in my league we are running a Camaro championship, 80 mins races, and last race started 24 cars and finished 23, if people crash is because they are in a sim and they drive with no care as they would do in real life, in real life every driver has to finish a race with the entire car, money, safety, just respect to other drivers... all this is what sometimes every simdriver loses when a race begins.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  2. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Didnt see it posted here so

3. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Is posted, and... they can say all they want, I just tested during all a weekend that car, and is far to match to real one, I tested in same track, there is lots of onboard videos of abarth in vallelunga, and I dont know how they can match telemetrys, because where the real car has to lift or go sliding close to break grip, I can do the same turn at full throttle with any signs of oversteer and with the car totally planted. Ah, and I was pushing as hell, I beated so far real times, me and more users :D

Edit: And in other hand... I can also match a real telemtry of F1 car (there are few public) with rF2 Marussia telemetrys.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Well said. Anyone who has any real life experience at club events (not F1, FIA GT, WEC or any other high tear) knows that there are tons of offs, spins, dive bombs and other misjudgments. You also get people arguing in the paddocks about who was at fault. Everyone likes to say: "Well when I drive my mini van to the grocery store I have tons of grip. Harder doesn't equal real." Taking this new "easy = real" mentality is going to ruin SimRacing.

5. Timpie Claessens

So now they're not just using deception on their art cover where it says "Simulator", they're now also activly lying to their customers and community? :) Have you atleast tried playing with the setup?
    By default the cars comes with an as good as open power diff (10%) which just makes the inside wheel spin endlessly. Put that to 50% and there, signs of oversteer. Play with the wings a bit to get it more balanced (10-7 or 10-8) and hey presto, even less ez mode.

6. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

This is something to think. I don´t find i´m capable to do one single lap with a real f1 car without spining. And with rf2 i do.

7. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

I am not a great sim racer...Alas not even a good one. I do know this, while I am spinning, out braking myself and generally cursing the undrivable piece of ****e car and track combination ISI have given me...Other better racers than me are cruising around on the edge of grip, car in balance and with inch perfect lines and lapping five seconds faster on a short track...Is that the fault of the sim? Is that unrealistic? Heh, I think not, I think that is just what the real world is like. No one is going to give me a race car for real, and if they did it would be a costly mistake. I tried the Tech Demo, it was okay but still with this latest release there is no comparison to make, however flawed rF2 has real road, multi car races, online, weather etc....When AC has these things I'll take another look, until then? I have more than enough on my plate with rF2 and those missing five seconds :rolleyes:

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

True but shopping without a spin is boring and not real, you should extend your skills. Usually i crash and spin all over the place when i'm shopping but with a cart :D

9. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I tried, all possible configurations... and yes, you can get an strange oversteer, strange because the rear wheels seems to have much grip and when begin to slide the car slowdowns and recover grip in a really strange way.

But one question... are you saying me that in real life is Lacosta using on purpose a crappy setup? I think he is in a really great time working with telemetry data and with engineers doing his setup... and he is clearly pushing and getting 1:33s times in Vallelunga, I can with default setup do 1:33 easily and 1:32 pushing, with any needed correction in places he has to fight with the car. And if I destroy the setup to get oversteer, the car is way slower, and despite of that I can't reproduce the way he is driving in Vallelunga, or Hungaroring (in this last track is really a show to watch how easily the car can slide).

But I can drive in that way in rF2. In rF2 (and also other sims with the same "grip stye") I can drive in two ways, safe, with the car planted, doing stable lap times and going fast but safe no destryong the tyres (as in a real race). Or I can push as maniac and "dance" in the grip edge to get a qualy lap, sometimes fighting with the wheel because I'm pushing more than rear wheels can support. I can't drive in this way in AC in normal conditions, only destroying the setup and as I said, in a really strange way.

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Yeh, the tire simulation on these "carts" is extremely unrealistic and the power to weight ratio is a joke (especially when I go shopping with my wife). :D

11. speed1

speed1 Banned

12. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Just something to think about:

Maybe you are really so darn fast that you should be in that car yourself in real life :p

And how do you know you can't do those times in rf2?...atm you can't because we don't have that combination.

Going to buy AC now when it's still on discount. Nothing to do with not liking rf2, I still do very much.

13. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Laps alone won't make you a driving god if you don't have the talent. That's the beauty of simracing - despite we're not driving gods, we can participate in top racing series of the world, challenging other not-so-godly guys online - just because we love to, not because we were chosen (or we have a sponsor) :) And those with actual talent, we call aliens :D

14. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

It's not about times, It's about the feeling you are "playing" in the edge of grip. I can go fast in rF2 with any car with no mistakes, but I can push more and go faster with that feeling of being close to break grip.

In AC I try to push more, and the feeling is different, most of the time I push more and more, I feel like the car were understeery and I can't push more because of that understeer, not because of rear grip, strange... and If I play with setup I can get a oversteery car, but far from the feelings I get in rF2, I feel like the car was sticked to the road, and in some moment I suddenly lose rear grip with any sign to avoid It (something like I felt in rF1), but suddelny the car begins to slowdown how were much rear friction and recover grips again, again with no FFB signs and in an strange way...

I'm not saying It's not fun, I like AC, but has something strange in the physics, like were too easy to achieve good grip with no work as in other sims (I said before that in other sims you have much grip depending on the car, but you have to work to find and take adventage of It).

15. Timpie Claessens

Just a small question, why would that... Lacosta be the limit of what the car can do? You know Badoer, he got in F1 aswell... And it certainly wasn't because he was good but he had support and cash.
    We as simracers are probably a much bigger sample group then the 20 racers you see on a grid in certain cars, it's not because they are there that they all have the skills of Vettel. They just had the money to get into karting as kids and kept getting the money to advance.
    The guys that won the GT academy (Ordonez, Mardenbrough) are literally kicking the others drivers asses in the LMP2 while 2 years ago they were doing Gran Turismo and never sat in a racecar.
    Maybe you're just an undiscovered talent aswell since I can just about get a 33.9 on the default set at 12:00, 26°

16. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I'm talking about Lacosta because is driving the car clearly fast (1 second faster or more than other videos in same track), and sliding in lots of turns, and that is what I can't do with the car even going faster. And there is more videos of how the car have slippery rear wheels when they push (there is others where the car seems planted too, but are way slower, and obviously not pushing and driving safe in race conditions or because are just learning in driving schools).

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I wouldn't bet on them playing GT though. I know Bryan Heitkotter (GT Academy winner) wasn't much of a GT racer despite what he says in interviews. He spent his time in rF1 (and still does although not as often these days) racing in a league (efnet#cars) a few nights a week for several years. I have yet to hear Byran say a word about his real simracing history in TV interviews or magazine articles. I suspect Sony/Nissan have him under contract to only talk about GT.

Bryan has lots of experience in real cars though. Even before winning GTA. He has been the SCCA Solo2 national champion something like 5 times.

18. Timpie Claessens

I know he was an avid iRacer aswell but Ordonez & Mardenbrough certainly weren't. Could be that they were also active in other sims like LFS or RF but those communities are so varied and spread out its impossible to keep up with that :D
    Non the less, they were normal gamers (or simracers, whatever offends less ;) ) and now there they are. I'm sure if more of us would get that chance there would be a whole lot more undiscovered talent floating to the top... Sadly, motorracing is a moneygame and not possible for everyone apart from these rare chances.

19. williang83

williang83 Registered

OK guys ill drop a couple of words. Just a few weeks ago i went with a ferrari on track and i have to say that the feeling reminds a lot the feel that i had, just miss the g force. The feeling handling is not over exaggerated like others game and the catch point reminds a lot reality. I didn't have time to try other cars rather than the lotus and the ferrari and i must say, from someone who really drove sportive cars on tracks this is the game that most gave me a real feel. Probably not all cars will delivery that feeling but for now it just became the target for me.
    So i just hope that IRACING gets a huge change and ISI fixes some awful stuff.

20. Panigale

Panigale Banned

I almost don't want to post this, have you never played any sports? These guys were not sim potatos, and I say that as part of that potato group so no offense...

Before GT Academy, you were no stranger to cars. What experience did you have?

My father and brother were racers. My brother was the Formula Toyota champ and was one of the most successful young drivers during the early 2000s. I tried to follow in his steps but the lack of budget left me to do some karting and some racing in single-seaters.

Read more: http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/interviews/5-questions-with-lucas-ordonez#ixzz2kStxoEk7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.