Assetto Corsa Respectful Comparison

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Minibull, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speed1

speed1 Banned

@Adrianstealth
    Yes i'm sure there will be some great stuff growing up for the sim and the thing with the apps i like as well but at the moment i'm not in love with the feeling.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

it's well known that rf2 performs better with nvidia than amd based cards.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Speed1

I'm currently in 2 minds

I'm so use & tuned in to iracings physics (radical sr8 ) at the moment that anything different will feel strange to me

Kunos seem to do things differently with AC, some are totally raving about it already others like me are sitting on the fence
    Although first signs it does feel quality

I adapt to rf2 quite we'll because I used to use rf1 so much, some rf2 mods feel a tad flat to me but some are I think some of the very top in sim racing

Also some Iracing cars feel pathetic to me, yet the radical amongst others are a total blast

Rf1 was successful on the strength of its better mods, remember the initial release? It got much better from there with time.

Rf2 for me right now is a mess ( fps went down the drain, controller problems now) but this is just me , lots are really enjoying it ( I hope things will come good for me on the next build )

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

AC apparently currently has it's data outputs teathered to the fps, simcommander 3 is all gunned up to feed actuators etc at a rate of 250 updates per second, so if we have a totally solid fps in AC of 250fps then no problem we'll benefit from the same consistent quality of other sims,

However right now ( assuming no one has a PC isn't from outer space ) a lot of users have much lower fps than 250

So if your only getting 60fps in AC, AC will only be sending 60 updates per second to motion

I have my fps max locked at 120fps, it doesn't dip below ( very happy with details & look ) but maybe when other cars introduced ( through online etc, I never bother with AI ) if fps reduces at parts of track etc this will be felt in the actuators
    !*!?!

Devs at kunos haven't replied to questions about this yet but hopefully they'll sort it

Not sure how noticeable it will be with sim vibe

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  5. speed1

speed1 Banned

I'm sure there will be something for everyone but it needs really much time, allmost 2 years the current gen's are public but still no one is really ready to go in basics.

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Hi folks!
    I´ve read the whole thread with big interest, but what is obvious is that some (most) people
    here (and in other forums) compare the heavy street cars in AC with the pure racing cars in rF2.
    Quotes like " the weight transfer in AC is sooo noticeable and cool in comparison to..." are
    laughable: surely the weight transfer will be much more noticeable in this relatively heavy and soft street cars!
    So the cars in both sims are not really camarable.
    But I know there is a Lotus 49 in AC which should be very similar to the rF2 historic formula racers.

Please can someone compare this two in detail and in a scientific, analytical manner?
    Anyone please?

Thanks in advance!
    Greets
    Pete

7. Led566

Led566 Registered

Yes it is "well known" but when I asked for real benchmarks none showed up.:confused:

As a matter of fact my 7950 performs inline with Max Angelo (mod of the italian subforum) GTX760.

And runs sooo good AC DX11.

8. Led566

Led566 Registered

Someone should build a skid pad for AC (rF2 does have one)!

FWIW running the rF2 Spark in Monza and the AC Lotus 49 in Monza did provide very similar experience (and nearly same lap times).

rF2 ffb is better though.

9. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Is it well known by how much? I'm thinking of buying an AMD card.

10. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I tested a lot GT2 and F Abarth, only few laps at Monza and Imola with Lotus 49... but I will test deeper that car because can be a nice one to compare.

But my first impression was not good... default setup at Monza is crap for me. The car understeers heavily, and to break is sooo easy, despite having bad brakes and stone tyres you can breake It easily, and at high speeds you will never suffer oversteer. In Imola works different, in Imola you can "play" with It, slide and that stuff, but in a strange way, the car lose and recovers grip really fast, too aggressive, as soon as you begin to slide you countersteer and rear wheels gain grip suddenly, It's hard to explain... as I said, I will test this car as comparison because is a good starting point.

Oh... BMW is a GT2 and is totally different from all rF2 GT2s... pure grip and no way to oversteer with default setups, and if you touch setup, you can get oversteer but always in that strange way you lose speed fast when slide and then the car recovers grip suddely again like nothing happened.

And I found even more weird things in my latest test runs... sometimes when turning, you can push full throttle and RPMS goes to max like you were sliding rear wheels... but the strange thing is you have not to countersteer, the rear wheels don't slide despite they are spinning faster than car speed. You still turning and pushing throttle like you were not spinning your wheels, crazy.

I'm more angry the more I use it. See at this bug, in NKPro happened too... new physics engine? and the same bugs than previous title? the car seems like not connected to track, like physics were scripted and not properly simulated, if properly simulated this could not happen in so simple situations:

Edit: I discovered that this bug can be produced by a kind of simulation engine and happens in other sims too (I didn't see it in rF2 yet :) ), and does not mean a bad simulation, but despite of that there is lots of strange behaviours like wheels spinning faster than ground speed in mid turn phase with no oversteer signs, that is something even more weird.

11. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Actually i am a former mod, since about 5 weeks ago. :)

12. Led566

Led566 Registered

Too bad...I was hoping you were gettin back in the saddle;)

13. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Say so ... beeing a "Knowledgable Person", as stated in the forum leaders page, has a price which i dont intend to pay.
    I guess to be a scrooge man. :)

Back to the topic, anyone knows if Assetto Corsa is still using the pure Pacejka "magic formula" tire model or if it moved to something different?

14. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I believe it does, check out the Esteve Rueda's post above showcasing infamous Pacejka math bug.

15. Domi

Domi Registered

Yep.

16. tsunamibr

tsunamibr Registered

No.

17. tsunamibr

tsunamibr Registered

You guys are getting way off the reality, and deep into any biased rumour you hear around. I just had to do a simple search to find this interview, and the right answer to this question. No, Kunos isn't using anything Pacejka related, even since the NetKar Pro era.
    Stop making false assumptions. Besides, their simulation is being used by several racing houses around the world, and AFAIK is one of the main reasons the game did get delayed. It isn't by no means arcade-ish, as some may allege here, quite the opposite. I'm not in any side in this discussion, I'm just pointing out that there are some irrefutable facts that people seems to disconsider in this thread.

http://www.radicalsonline.com/conte...peaks-about-his-life-simracing-and-netKar-PRO

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I think this is the key for me (to use as an overall assessment metric). I wonder how many others will have the same experience?

19. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

A friend gave me a chance to try this out for a little bit. Now, I tried NKpro before, and I thought it was pretty poor, so I didn't expect much out of AC. That said though, I was actually even more underwhelmed than I thought I would be. The graphics looked pretty decent...that's a positive I guess, but not world's better than rF2. Just a tad better than iRacing I think. As far as positives, that's about it actually.

The force feedback is bad, in my opinion. It is too 'springy' for lack of a better word, and has very little detail to it. Sure, the feeling of weight is there, but nothing else. No feel of grip, no feel of what the car is doing underneath you, and it does some weird shaking back-and-forth thing when you brake. Overall, it feels terrible.

Physics are not too bad I guess, but not nearly on the same level as rF2, or iRacing. The Lotus 49 would NOT slide around a corner and take throttle steering like the BT20. It just understeers. Giving more throttle just pushes the car out, so you don't get that really fun 'driving with the throttle' effect like in rF2. The other cars aren't much better, and some actually felt even worse. Whether it is realistic or not, it doesn't much matter to me when it feels so dead and boring as it does in AC.

The tracks are ok...I really liked Imola. Silverstone wasn't a good layout (are there other layouts even? I didn't ask my friend) and the others I've never even heard of, but they looked ok. Not incredible, but not bad.

I realized something about 30 minutes into playing it that I haven't seen anyone else say. That is, AC doesn't seem to compete with the likes of rF2 or iRacing. It is more a direct competitor to Raceroom Experience. The physics feel similar, they are both on Steam, they both focus on more casual game modes like 'Time Attack' and special events and hotlapping, the content is almost exactly the same (European road stuff only), and the force-feedback in both has that tight center-spring feeling. So it's not exactly fair to AC to compare it to rF2 imo. With that mindset, I can say that AC is doing pretty well against Raceroom so far, but I do prefer Raceroom's FFB more so it wins out overall.

All in all, I didn't have a great impression of AC in its current state. It needs quite a lot of work to become a game that is worth purchasing for me. Even with a huge overhaul of just about everything, though, it will still not interest me because it will probably never have the type of content that I really care about, unlike rF2 or iRacing. I imagine others will like it though, and that is fine, as there can never be enough racing games to satisfy all different tastes.

20. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

You found it! Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.