Assetto Corsa Competizione

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by fsuarez79, Sep 12, 2018.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

iRacing system is not very good, because it does not motivate to race and race clean at once, it motivates one of two. You go grandma mode for license, and you go beast mode for irating.

Minolin understands that.

I am very interested whats coming up with rF2.

Minorating in AC1 proved that even very simple approach can have better results than iracing.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    FAlonso likes this.
  2. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Looks good, but it actually shows a problem that was to be expected when they first talked about their implementation of their weather and racing line system. The drying happens in pretty unnatural ways where it forms a hard corridor - a predefined one, even if you don't see a single car there. Wich makes even less sense if you consider that there is supposed to be a racing line with more grip in the wet that is off the normal racing line. That shot at the last chicane at Zolder shows this pretty well. Would be nice to get a drying system as in rF2, because then it would be pretty much perfect.

The marble build up is pretty impressive. Might be time for S397 to get that hooked up to the physics, as rF2 is currently one of the few sims that doesn't make physical use of marbles according to my knowledge. You just see the visual stuff and that's it. There is some catching up to do for all of the softwares in that regard, wich is nice. In a few years time such racing line and weather systems might be a standard for the genre.

williang83 and mantasisg like this.
  3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Marbles does an effect on grip in rF2. But there are no more nuances, I think.

4. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

Could you explain the problem in more detail? I have many difficulties to understand what he says, this is not my language.:oops:

5. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Yep I know what he means and I agree. I think acc doesn't use a dynamic dry line. Like ams doesn't use dynamic rubbering line like rf2 does.. Its predetermined and agree looks odd in acc when you have that hard edge to the dry line.

6. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Hard to explain, when you aren't familiar with English. But as LokiD allready answered. The drying line is not dynamic and not dependend on the trajectory of the cars.

LokiD likes this.
  7. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

I understand what you say, I have always thought that it was going to be done this way, I suppose it is a way to save on the consumption of the cpu and that will really give the same result since 99'9% of the laps you go to go for the ideal path.

Although I understand that rF2 is more filety we are going to get almost the same result.

8. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I don't think that this is done to save on consumption, but it might be more difficult to implement with AI in mind. Thatswhy you have no rain-line in rF2 for example as far as I can tell. And I would argue that 99,9% is quite an overestimation, when we talk mutliclass racing, wich at the end of the day is an important part of the Blancpain GT series. Just think about what happens when people start cooling their tires or when they lap other cars. In that case it should affect the track for sure. I bet with a possiblity of 99,9%, that cars won't do the same lap twice.

That said, it took rF2 quite a bit to get the real road feature to where it is now, so let's keep the fingers crossed that Kunos finds a way for ACC.

LokiD likes this.
  9. LokiD

LokiD Registered

interesting as its a wet race at moza.

10. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Yesterday I was playing a bit, it really surprised me after the last time I played a few months ago.

1.- The rank system, playing in servers with the requirement of 50 or more of SA, the dynamics of the game became excellent, three races in Monza and no incident in the first chicane, I couldn't believe it jajaja.
    2.-The netcode, a big step forward.
    3.- You can have a puncture if start with tires with low pressure (that nasty Zolder :p), something that S397 should copy, also the aquaplaning.
    4.- The sounds, are just awesome
    5.- The cars needs a BoP, for example the Skyline seems to have 100hp less, on the straights it is a slug.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    FAlonso likes this.
  11. LokiD

LokiD Registered

what skyline are you using , theres two?

12. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think that is just much lighter pavement. Track dries out gradually, it can be seen in the video.

But it is true that dynamic track properties such as rubbering or drying are scripted. As well as puddles. And I am looking forward to try ACC, as recently I was too busy.

13. LokiD

LokiD Registered

really enjoying the live race atm, started raining again.. cant wait to jumpon acc after!

14. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

It's an overestimate, but really the only time you change the ideal line is when you have a player in parallel.

15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

There is no excuse to release a new sim with scripted rubber and dry line, especially when a dev have deeper pockets like Kunos got due to AC sales and being bought by another company.
    The fact that racing sims increase draft effect alone is a reason to make this dynamic.

williang83 likes this.
  16. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Have you actually watched the race at Monza today? It was a text book example for how drying tracks should work in sims. ;)

Will Mazeo likes this.
  17. Filip

Filip Registered

There are many more important features than this.

18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes, yesterdays rain race at Monza was god example, for one example - braking into T1 at very deeply inside line, and then switching back to wide for bigger turn radius. I suppose if drying is indeed scripted (maybe we are wrong?), then it would be very complicated to realize such dynamics.

I was thinking about rF2, alternative wet racing lines and AI. Of course this is just a speculation, and I have no idea how software implementation of anything works.... but. In rF2 AI has multiple path lines, for example: fastest path, blocking path..... There is no wet fastest path. But if it would be introduced it could work well IMO. Lets say as soon as it would get wet AI would start interpolating between two lines, or perhaps immediately switch without any interpolation, because viscous hydroplaning doesn't need thick layer of water, and viscous hydroplaning is the reason for alternative racing lines. So lets say as soon as wetness reaches around 10-20 percent it would be time to use alternative line (I guess). Blocking function could be disabled as soon as wetness would reach such level, and it would make sense, because racing is increasingly more about staying on track at this point. The fact that rF2 has a real road system that dynamically calculates drying and rubbering is very beneficial right there, because you don't have to worry about it, just sort out the rest: how grip works, how AI reacts....

Also AI would have to be recorded by human, so I suppose it is a bit of a challenge for developers to study how to drive in the rain and how grip should be distributed lol But the principles are not difficult, keep inside during the braking, cross more outside for turn, and then cross more to inside for exit. The tricky part is to get how much ? As shown yesterday at Monza T1 it can be "as much as possible", unsurprising because T1 at Monza is used a lot to outbrake and definitely has smooth polished worn and rubbered surface in almost whole width, so drivers only find grip for braking at the very edge of inside. So determining where good grip in the wet is would probably require consulting with racing drivers and teams, but generally I think it is very logical - where the tarmac is most used and experiences heaviest loads and slip, so it gets polished and rubbered there.

Having AI to use wet racing lines would also be good way to teach players where to drive as it starts raining, even though it shouldn't be too difficult to discover where the grip is after a while of making failures. Usually, when making the turn car should slip out of normal line, and driver should feel that car would start gripping up more as it would push more towards outside allowing more acceleration, but I am not racing driver, perhaps there is no such sensation, but I am quite confident that there is.

I'd say rF2 has lots of potential, it is awesome that other titles are doing well, and getting close and even passing at some elements, so progress is made.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  19. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Anyone with similar PC specs to me and on triple 1080p can say what the performance is like in ACC? Cheers.

20. LokiD

LokiD Registered

As much as I like the dynamic line thing I don't notice it as much as being idolised here. Cars don't leave the line enough to put down enough rubber anyway. Brake zones look the same to me as well..

So dynamic racing line rubber Hmm rather have a better weather system and ai that works with it and also learn to overtake on a straight lol

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.