ASR Formula Open Wheel Classic 92 Season LE rF1 Conversion

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Sderenno, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

1 request. Increase the adjustibility of the rear wing! 20/10 degrees is not realistic. Being an engineer I KNOW the rear wings are angled more than the fronts. Just making it 20/20 would be miraculous.

I really don't know if it's degrees, or just a setting mark. For instance, moving the rear up one setting raises it 7 degrees.

2. Frenky

Frenky Registered

You're welcome man! Yeah sure, I agree with you. It is a 10 seconds change. I already changed the damage settings in v1.816, but will further improve on the suspension and engine part. Thanks for the feedback and hell yeah, nice trailer :p.

3. Frenky

Frenky Registered

Well, let me say, I'm only talented in "notepad editing" :p. So if more than that is required, like graphics editing, I simply lack knowledge and software programms. I therefore wouldn't call myself a talented modder. I will always need a starting mod and then dig into the physics of it. But someone has to make a starting mod first :p.
    But I like the way I'm contributing to the community right now. If there are any requests about physics from F1 cars from anybody (including ASR of course), I would happily dig into it. So yeah, it would be nice to be part of the ASR group, allthough I think anybody may make requests about the physics of F1 cars.

4. Frenky

Frenky Registered

To answer your question. No, I don't know if ISI has plans for it. And I don't think rFactor 2 is able to simulate active suspension (right now). Actually, this question is exactly my problem with the F1 mods of 91-93 era. I think that the FW14B car was carrying more downforce in reality, due to active suspension, than my update v1.816 is simulating. In reality the FW14B car was always setup about 1.5 cm (I guess) of the ground, independent of speed and downforce levels, to get the most diffuser effect. But with my update the car is sometimes lower to and sometimes further of the ground, thus stalling the diffuser respectively lowering undertray downforce levels. Right now, I could only "fake simulate" this aspect of active suspension by coming up with a diffuser equation the gives about the same downforce levels in a very broad range of front and rear height. But I'm afraid that the car will feel like an 80's ground effect car then. And of course, it is no sollution to the behaviour of the car over bumps and kerbs. So difficult question this one.

5. Frenky

Frenky Registered

I don't know what you mean with "double update issue". But the link is correct. I didn't change the file name, so that could be unfortunate. Just uninstall v1.815. Then install the newest update in the mod manager and if it shows the ASR mod (after installing the update) as version v1.816, you have the correct one. Works for me at least.

6. Frenky

Frenky Registered

Good to hear an engineer around here :p (lol, that rhymes nicely). I'm aware that the rear wings are angled more than the front wing. It holds for all nowadays formula cars. But I'm unsure if it was the case back in 1992. Do you know that? I know that back in the 80's some teams only had some different types of rear wings, that individually couldn't even be set up.
    Anyway, I agree with you that 10 differents settings (not degrees) is a bit low. I will change that. Honestly, I'm about to test the change already. Thanks for the feedback and have fun racing!

7. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

I disagree, if you look at the rear wing of the car, you see holes of adjustments, are even less than 10.

[​IMG]

8. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I'll just say "Holes" are better than Degrees to me.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Sderenno is on the mark there. Looking at similar time-period cars in other games like Assetto and Stock Car Extreme you see the rear has far less adjustment and this mod is certainly within that range.

10. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

This is one incredible car. Many thanks for your efforts :D

11. Frenky

Frenky Registered

Eh allright guys. It's proving time I guess. Take a good look at the rear wing of the FW14B (attached). Take a look at the right side. For the upper flap I count 14 holes. From other pictures on the internet, the flap below also has 6-8 holes (not very clear how much exactly however). So 20 settings/configurations makes perfectly sense to be honest. Stating how much rear wing configurations pCars, AC, GSC or other sims for 90's f1 mods have accounts just as much as me stating that "GrandPrix 2" (1994 cars) had 20 settings for the front and also 20 settings for the rear wing :p.

View attachment 15910 View attachment 15910

BTW, I'm already working on an update (v1.817) of the physics. The first feeling of this version finally makes me smile a little :D. I won't upload this version within the next 24 hours, so your feedback still can make it into v1.817.
    Oh and v1.817 is not for pussies. I would not recommend the damage file for online racing :p. This version looks like the FSR trailer.
    Thermal balance between engine heating and radiator cooling seems better now. Don't rev the engine to the floor all the time!

Have fun racing!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  12. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Ok, I am about to confuse some people here, but I will try and explain something.

I counted 7 holes for the top wing, and 5 holes for the bottom wing. That does NOT equal 12 settings. It is 35 settings. Why? Because the top wing moves independently of the bottom wing. You can adjust the total rear wing 35 different ways. I'll list the settings so less confusion.

Top wing hole 1: (BW=bottom wing)
    BW hole 1
    BW hole 2
    BW hole 3
    BW hole 4
    BW hole 5
    BW hole 6
    BW hole 7

Top wing hole 2:
    BW hole 1
    BW hole 2
    BW hole 3
    BW hole 4
    BW hole 5
    BW hole 6
    BW hole 7

etc. I would venture a guess that the bottom wing was used for more precise adjustments, since it is smaller winglets. Just for the sake of simplicity, you "could" say 2 adjustments from the bottom wing equals one top wing adjustment, or a total of 17 settings.

I am ONLY providing data, I'm not trying to tell you how to mod your cars. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
  13. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Does it really matter?

I find "holes" easier to memorize than "Angle" because with Angle I'm never quite sure where the middle is. A setting of 20 tells me that 10 or 11 will be medium DF.

I'm fairly sure it won't make a huge amount of difference if you can adjust in 20 or 30 detail.

On top and bottom wing, I'd wager a guess that you couldn't set each of them "any which way" without negative impact.

14. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Wow its getting precise in here.

We had a great multiplayer race in the V1.81 last night at Sao Paulo.
    Any nagging doubts about the mods (1.80) strengths and weaknesses compared to V 1.70 are gone. More feel, more consistency and a TOTALLY immersive race.

Now I have some Historuc Edition trivia for you.
    In the physics files the modders will need to set a level of drag for downforce. So more downforce, more drag, less downforce less drag.
    However across the grid this factor was FAR from constant.
    Johnny Herbert in the Lotus in 92 did very well in qualifying at Monza with their low wing package. (incidentally They had a damper guy who kept finding more and more performance too).
    They went to Interlagos and with their high Wing Package they were very very slow. Massive drag for little apparent downforce benefit. Johnny Herbert said "lets try the Monza aero, theres nothing to lose".
    They did and they found seconds in lap time with a low wing setup. Not because low wing was optimal but because their high wing package was very innefficient.
    So............
    If you really want to flex your HE modding muscles then along with weight, engine power, drag, you can ascribe to teams varying levels of aero efficency (drag for downforce).

I want to finish by saying thanks again to ASR modding.Your work is a great asset to us all.

Edit) and I'm in the "does it really matter camp" re aero settings nomeclature. As long as the drag and downforce at the lowest setting and the highest setting are about right whether there 10, 20 or 30 clicks between doesn't worry me.
    There would also be complex variances between the impact of the lower slat and the upper slat and possibly more than one complete rear wing assembly. EG 1)a Monza Rear wing, and 2) a Monaco rear wing and 3) a rest of rear wing.
    (resiting the google button now!)

Peace and happy racing.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
  15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Interesting point. Poor Frenky :D

Sorry to bring that up again, but very few people here seem to have the black screen issue? It's the one thing that keeps me from racing these.

16. Lgel

Lgel Registered

No black screen issue at all, I have only tried Mc Laren and Williams with 1.81. Sorry.

17. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Thanks, this is very nice to hear.

Thanks for the explanation, so yeah we should be content with just passive suspension for the time being. Btw wouldn't a plugin be able to simulate active suspension?

@Sderenno @Frenky I also have a bugfix request here.

Could the HDV files be changed so that we can change the a whole set of tire compounds at once in the pit HUD, instead of having to go through all 4 in the heat of the moment? This is also according to the FIA rules I think.
    See also the following thread where I mention the issue http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ible-right-now?p=343168&viewfull=1#post343168

18. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

You wanted historic, I am only offering suggestions and input. And I WAS talking about "holes" and not angle. 7 holes top x 5 holes bottom = 35 hole combinations. :) You are fooling yourself if you think those egomaniacal drivers weren't picky about their car adjustability. If it weren't for rules, I bet they would have had 100+ settings.

No black screens here, either.

Frenky, I'm not an aerodynamic engineer. More like an architect with a minor in mechanical engineering.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
  19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So there is a 1991 and a 1992 LE version out there? I thought it was just 1992?

What about your guys' separate Ferrari mod and McLaren mod?

Without a proper rFactor 2 mods database, I'm getting all lost and confused with all sorts of RF2 mods, mod info, mod updates, etc.

May you please provide us with a fully up-to-date list of all your guys' RF2 car/track mods, with the proper, exact version numbers for each? And possibly a 1 or 2 sentence description for each? Thanks.

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

They have a full field 1992 mod that is v1.81 with league physics.
    They have two 1991 cars, v1.6, that will be geared towards individual team performance.
    They have one 1996 car that is v.5 that currently has placeholder physics akin to 1992.

Of course, if you check the first post and see their website, www.asrformula.com , you will know all that.