Artifact when Specular Map is Modified

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Alastar, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Alastar

Alastar Registered

Does anyone know what's causing this artifact? It happens when I make changes to a cockpit specular map. I'm using Photoshop to modify the map and the DDS Options to save the map are:
    Format: DXT5
    Mipmap checked
    Filter: Box
    Alpha Channel: None

View attachment 31733

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  2. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Looks like you saved an already very compressed texture. I recommend working in lossless formats and then resaving for export only.

3. Alastar

Alastar Registered

I created the specular map DDS file from a TIFF file and it wasn't compressed. I found that changing the shader from Bump Cube Specular Map Add Specular Reflect T1 to Bump Cube Specular Map T1 fixed it. No idea why the Bump Cube Specular Map Add Specular Reflect T1 was causing this problem.

4. svictor

svictor Registered

For any old cube map shader, you will need to reduce Fresnel Reflect > Fresnel Min value (usual 0.01 works well), this happens often in old mods or from RF1/GTR2 etc, also track obects are affected as well. This can be easily batch edited with 3dsimed. Those old cube map shader has some interaction with track's ReflectionMapper=STATIC01 setting as well, if the track scn file is missing ReflectionMapper=STATIC01 lines, the old cube map shader value won't cause exaggerated reflection.