ARI Fun Race 3 @ Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fergy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Guys, Dany and Bryan do such a great job of keeping this league running with a dedicated server and website. There is a constant growth of members with each race and it just keeps getting better. If you have any spare cash to give, no matter how small a contribution towards the running of A.R.I league and it's server, please do so over at www.sr4l.com. Every little helps.

Thank you! ;)

2. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Will Searspoint be the next track? Practiced there once a couple of months ago and it was such an awesome track.

3. Fergy

Fergy Registered

To be announced:) asap

4. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Hi,
    this could look as a childish complaint :eek: But it's just to take off me this bitter taste after the 3rd race.
    I know it is just a race incident but left me crying, Noooooooo!!! whyyyyyyyyy!!!! :p
    It's a kind of a bitter taste as I let the door open in turn 1 when I saw through the mirrors the other driver was going to try to pass me but then I wasn't paid with the same kindness when trying to gain back my position.

I know it's just a race incident, but I needed to say it
    [​IMG]
    Somebody call the Waaaaaambulance
    :p

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hmm, front wheel to back wheel.......I wouldn't have been to happy either.

6. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Very kind words DrR1pper. Thanks to all who have donated in the last two months (PM's sent) plus check the SR4L forum for full details. Really blown away by the members or ARI, great group:)

7. Fergy

Fergy Registered

@Gorka:) Looking forward to the ARI first drivers tribunal, 2 drivers on Teamspeak with there respective lawyers, tension in the air, decisions to be made:

8. Andy_R

Andy_R Registered

Half the incidents occur because the one being passed doesn't realise it, try watching that replay from the cockpit of the car in front, if someone is not paying attention to their mirrors then I can see that happening very easily.

So, that brings up a question, I know some leagues insist that drivers use Virtual mirrors all the time, do we think that necessary or do we maybe bring in some informal passing protocol? Such as if you are committed to the inside of the corner you use your horn to make the guy being passed 'aware' that another car is alongside?

I know that there will be a 'spotter' in rF2 eventually but as I've never used rF1 and we don't know what the new system will be we could try something temporary in the meantime.

What do you think is practical? Interestingly I noticed normal mirrors work in replays.

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Awsome power in that film from Nickolson.

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I think mirrors (as good as you can get, in this game 3x in the top off the screen) are a must to do a race.
    If my mirrors don't work; I don't race, it's not fair to other guys who get bumped off.

That, and the fact you can hear a car coming up from behind, should do it.

11. Fergy

Fergy Registered

I've raced in leagues where they insisted on virtual mirrors and it certainly helps. Racing works well when drivers are fully aware of there left and right. Most of us will know when someone is beside us. It's a real skill to make the call to give up the corner or to go for the corner for both involved.

Personally I think if your using headphones and you have the sound set up correctly itj's better than a visual.

Something to look into though Andy.

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

@gorgias, calm down child, there worse things happening in race.
    Worst for me is, Im slowing down cause I dont want to ram the guys in front who lost control after collision, yellow flags and all, and then, guy from behind, takes this as an opportunity to pass, pushing me out of track as well.
    (talking of opportunism lol)

13. Andy_R

Andy_R Registered

One of the changes I made to my system was to edit the settings for the look left and look right functions. At the default setting looking left or right is next to useless for seeing other drivers. I think it is supposed to be used to 'look to the apex' rather than finding who is next to you but I changed mine to look much further right/left (I need to change it again actually as I haven't got it how I want yet).

Having done all that I still had contact turning in on someone in one of the races when I didn't know the guy was there, I thought I was far past him could turn in without problems but he was so quick to the corner it took me completely by surprise. It can be obvious a car is 'with you' by the sound but you don't know exactly where that car is unless you're looking for them.

Edit: Yes headphones definitely help a lot

14. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

Well, no need to split blood, as everyone has his racing moments (me myself at snetterton race two, being to close to the driver in front at the last curve and hitting him from behind).
    The 3 virtual mirrors is a must to see if someone is attacking you from behind, and it's important to remember to keep the line inside a curve if you are in a battle (such as David and Me had in last sundays race one, that was great clean battle).

Also we all must be a bit calmer in a Safety Car situation. Everybody (me included) kept going at race speed instead of grouping a keeping a "group" speed .

15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

well,at the end, u should all behave and stay behind me for whole race, ok chaps? Is that a deal?
    Thats nice and tidy racing, isnt it (for me lol)

16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

So.....you're going to be the safety car driver? :)

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

no...the DANGER car driver lol

18. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I'll stay out of your way then; preferably WAAAY in front ;)

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Much easier in reality as SCs are much slower as racers, so i dont know if theyre behaving or just cant do differently.

20. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Can someone send me there xml files from Sundays race please? Seems I have a problem with mine. That's P1, Q1, R1 and the last two races R1 and R1.
    Thanks.