Are the brakes too good in rfactor2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greg Lugo, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Greg Lugo

Greg Lugo Registered

Im pretty sure this has come up somewhere so I apologize in advance lol

Is it me or are the brakes too good in Rfactor2?

example:
    I tested a renault Megane, Clio and the renault 3.5 at the Palm beach track.

on the back straightaway before the hairpin there are of course the usual breakingcones

ALL THREE CARS can easily brake well past the last cone and pretty much use the same braking point to make the corner.

i am using no aids (except auto clutch) and have even lowered brake pressures to around 80%

To me that just dosent seem right.

It seems like you can brake pretty deep in most mods in rfactor 2

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Why? Any reasonable arguments?

3. Alesi

Alesi Registered

hm... i have G27. my brakes in rf2 are totally unacceptable (not pedals)...i mean even i pull brake pedal on 15-25% and wheels blocks (brake pressure 80-90).. dont know why its happen(((

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

This quote is a developer of another sim in another forum and he talks very generally about the problem with brakes in ALL sims

And that makes sense. Real drivers have to really mash the brakes but your controller at home takes very little pressure. Even a load cell brake only goes so far.

5. osella

osella Registered

Yeah its exactly the same in every sim, its not rf2 only thing, it can never be "correct" if we need so tiny pressure on our pedals (even 3 year old girl can floor g25 pedal), only alternative is to aritificially reduce brake torque so people need to use more travel. As most people don't have load cell.

6. raymond2_nl

raymond2_nl Registered

I have the same pedals and HAD the same problem. I ordered the GTEYE pedal mod last week and received it yesterday. It gives you a nice feel on how much you're allowed to push the brake pedal before locking the wheels. I always drove with ABS on due to the limitations of the G27 pedals, but now I could turn it off and drive similar laptimes as before!

7. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

In control settings page you can set Min and Max to clutch, brakes and throttle also you can config the sensibility.

8. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I think the main problem is mechanical: as said above, the real brakes require pressure. You'll need a load cell to emulate it + a good set of springs. T500rs ships a piece of rubber plus an additional spring which improves the felling, requiring more pressures to reach the floor while braking. Not ideal, but it’s something.

I’m not intending to compare RF2 physics to pCars (first is times and times better), but regarding to brakes, pCars staff has made an excellent job, you can feel the car breaking progressively before lock wheels and having more control.

Concerning to thread’s subject, I fell the Rfactor brakes as effective as the others good simulators, no more and no less.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  9. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I think you guys are confusing the OP's issue. I think he's only talking about braking distance, not anything to do with hardware.

Although, to further the discussion off-track, I don't think the developers of Sims 'should' fudge numbers. I'd like to see that the game works best with the most accurate hardware. However, I think it's still necessary to provide those 'fudge numbers' (i.e. Brake Pressure) as an option so it works with typical consumer hardware.

10. osella

osella Registered

Lol you're right, he is actually talking about brake distances.
    If brake distances are too short, that has more to do with car having too much grip during braking. Like having F1 brakes on your Transit wouldn't help you much because it doesn't have the grip to take advantage of such brake force.

However I strongly doubt braking distances in rf2 are unrealistic.

11. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I plan to use brake pressure setting to compensate with brake lockup issue. However I have heard squash ball being relatively low cost alternative for better brake feel.

What comes to OP's issue that is different matter, actually I need to come back and write some measurements from megane, but my machine can't run web browser and rfactor at the same time, so I do some measurements and post them up so we can have discussion about numbers that are not subjective.

edit: Here are my results, I did several braking tests, skidpad test and slalom test, this data is roughly middle from several brakings from roughly 120kph to 0.

Speed 1 120.7km/h 4546m
    Speed 2 0.4km/h 4592m
    Braking distance of 46m

Brake temps before braking FL FR RL RR
    408 420
    349 350

Brake temps after braking FL FR RL RR
    482 483
    401 400

Skidpad ~1.5G
    Highest peak achieved 1.72G

Braking ~1.4G (Peak 1.47G)
    Highest braking peak achieved 1.6G

Are they too high, I don't say anything on that, I don't know what Megane 2009 is able to in reality.

Ambient temp was healthy 36.9C during time of testing.

edit2: Fixed number errors.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  12. Roadster

Roadster Registered

It's always difficult to compare to reality. Just for reference,
    I was lucky to be a guest of one of the megane teams (Verschuur) in 2009 at spa.
    Seeing the meganes irl for the first time I was shocked at how late they could brake in those things.

In practice I ran upstairs to film them approaching the hairpin. The first cars in the video weren't up to speed, but look how the last ones come flying in!
    Don't mind the quality, it was made with my phone back then.

You can get an idea of the braking distance. It does seem pretty close to rFactor.
    The 2009 meganes had some nice braking hardware installed at the time:

[​IMG]

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I can see 100 marker and 50 marker, for me it looks like they start to brake somewhere around 75 maybe? They also carry lot of speed at that location as things don't need much distance to get to 200kph.

As cars are 2009 models in game, that is very same vehicles, or rather their virtual copies.

All I know and can say that those things together with other high level race cars are incredible in stopping, acceleration of race car is really really nice, but it is stopping power that blows mind, bungee jumping on 4 wheels, kind of, bungee jumping is 2.4-2.8G while Megane braking is 'only' 1.4G, but do that for full race and some liquids certainly must switch places in body :D

14. Roadster

Roadster Registered

:D

lol exactly. Braking is underestimated :cool:

70m seemed to be the 'save' brake distance. In the race the front/faster guys were for sure around/in the 50m zone, especially when overtaking and pushing near the limits.

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I notice that the OP doesn't mention the speed of each car as it gets to the brake point. Are all cars going the same speed? If so then I can see his point, but if the higher performance cars are going faster, then the brake point could be closer together as the higher performance cars have better brakes and grip levels usually.

16. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

I find with my t500rs pedels i can normally out brake most people, I do love its spring design its very clever.

but yeah, Alot of people also online in pubs use abs.

17. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I don´t. I was talking to Alesi not to the op.

18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I wonder if you have tried the 60s cars.
    Their braking is close to useless compared to the modern cars, which is as it should be.
    Even if you compare the brabham (which is older than) with the Eve F1, the difference is huge.
    Yes, the moderns can brake on a dime, but isnt that what they normally do in real life?

19. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I find historic formula cars being very good at stopping, EVE F3 is around 1G braking at best, with spikes up to 1.3G's occasionally with my sloppy driving. 1967 street car I'm making is currently getting 0.6G's at best, but brakes are still pretty much WIP as are tires.

EVE F3 corners easily 1G, same tires in street car I'm making get it to 1.5G.

Even those historics are less good compared to modern stuff, they are really good compared to most today's street cars and to most sport cars, but then again they were top handling machines of that era.

According to numbers, I think they must be quite close to what they should be.

20. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

And what says that the last cone isn't supposed to be the proper braking point for those cars?

And about all the cars hitting the same braking point, it's not that odd frankly. The Clio is the heaviest of the lot (Renault's own specs) at 1060 kg with the worst brakes but also least power and hence the slowest (which naturally brings braking distances down), the Megane is slightly lighter at 995 kg with much better brakes and tyres, and a higher top speed, and the Formula Renault is easily the lightest and most powerful, but also has insanely good tyres (in comparison), lots of downforce and massive braking power. It's not that odd that the braking points are similar despite the very different cars.