Released April 2022 Release Candidate Update

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Apr 13, 2022.

1. mjo1704

mjo1704 Registered

sometimes in the spring ue4 update ruined the acc gameplay before it was able to play without much stuttering after the update pc minimum requirement changed i consider it a betraying of customers who bought the game because they bought the game relying on the adequacy of the minimum requirements.usually games are optimized and not the other way around

philrob and coasting&cruising like this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Then you are against progress? rF2, since S397 took over, has vastly increased the GPU load with the conversion to DX11, IBL & PBL & SSM shaders. Much of the quality of tracks like Sebring, Le Mans etc would not be possible without such improvements, even though they all combine to greatly increase your system's workload. For rF2, it will only increase more as sound is enhanced and more & more cars get the full shader treatment inside & out. Clouds, shadows(wip) are all things that bog systems down and those are areas S397 has been trying to enhance.
    Finally, & I don't mean to be mean...if your system is ANYWHERE close to just meeting the minimum specs, do yourself a favor and avoid games like that til you can buy a system that easily exceeds the minimums.(which are often the result of Marketing and NOT an in-depth engineering exercise)

3. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Yep , minimum system specs should be taken with a grain of salt.
    if your system is matching or above recommend specs then that game should run good.

4. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The reason for the blurriness is the temporal anti aliasing. It's simply the worst type of AA in terms of sharpness and motion resolution with it's ugly ghosting. The resolution scale has nothing to do with CPU load.

5. mjo1704

mjo1704 Registered

i have an i5 4690 k oc 4.5 ghz cpu 1080 ti gpu which is well above the acc minimum. i mean that after the acc ue4 update last february the game became unplayable before it was playable fr2 after several updates the game is still fully playable with that configuration and i can say that The RF2 changes have been a huge acc to the poorly optimized game

darkojovanoski1986 likes this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Argue was the wrong word, was just intended to be a quick "this can't really be resolved with complete certainty, no point clogging the thread" post - but I see it's happened anyway :p

Look at it this way: switch to AI control with the CPU graph displayed, and look how much the CPU occupancy (rF2 internal) drops. Now mentally add that back on for the player physics, and again for each AI running player physics - you won't get far. That's on a single core, so theoretically you could spread multiples of that load around, but you won't get to very large AI fields.

If ACC is running very large AI fields, the player physics must present less CPU load, or the AI physics isn't entirely equivalent to the player. Can't say for sure, but must be one or the other.

AI performance is configurable, through specific vehicle parameters and by using their own tyres, so any mismatch in grip is correctable. I understand having them use the same physics may seem an easy solution to that, but you have to power their physics and you have to control them more realistically - simplified physics can allow simpler controls, meaning less drain on development resources and (again!) realtime CPU loads.

Reactions to collisions aren't tied to the underlying physics. They're running around on rF1 tyres and lower rate physics, but mass etc is identical. If there is an issue with AI collisions (and as already mentioned you have to try and view/measure that objectively, as immediately post-incident it's easy to think you came off worse) the physics probably aren't the cause.

Finally as an aside, the devmode "AI uses player physics" I think only applies to the player car under AI control - not the whole field. Haven't actually tested though.

In summary: I don't think AI using full player physics is feasible or will correct any currently recognised AI issues.

Anyway, this really has gone off on a tangent.

pkelly likes this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Has anyone posted the Black Rain spray of previous versions is now visually grey in the RC?

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I don't know if this contributes to the AI load discussion, but when I was testing FPS between the release candidate and the standard install, I noticed about a 5-6 fps drop when I was driving vs when I let the AI take control. Over all that was only a few percentage points, but it was reproducible.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's more than I'd expect (if anything at all), but maybe it's your specific setup or very high FPS or something. I just tested the Oreca at Loch Drummond (looking at fps across the S/F line, alternating between player and AI control) and there was no noticeable difference. If anything I had slightly higher FPS under player control, but it's something like 76.5 vs 77.3 average so probably well within margin of error.

Generally some CPU load change doesn't impact FPS much.

*edit Meant to clarify this as well:
    I'm pretty sure the only 'option' in devmode is for the player to use AI physics, not the other way around. You can get the AI driving your own car with player physics by pressing Ctrl-I (instead of just I for AI control), but not any other AI. So unfortunately (or not!) can't test the load of multiple full-physics AI.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  10. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

11. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Without words.. :cool:

12. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Well, shit a brick.

Very happy to see all these tracks arriving. Like many others, I'd advocated that rather than bringing more cars, what rF2 lacked was tracks. In this case, I am pretty amazed we are going to get both cars AND tracks, especially for BTCC. This initial drop of the two cars - one rear, one front drive - I suspect got started as a proof-of-concept for the standalone title for the physics/vehicle dynamics (as was the IR18 to some degree, but moreso with that so they could do esports events with the real-life drivers). To get a BTCC esports series we're going to need almost all of the cars, because drivers will want to stay with the correct brands. But they've now got the top 3 tracks, and just a couple more makes that viable. That series should be popular for both online and offline racing; lots of people used to race the old ETCC mods and I was lucky enough to be in a league with some of the developers of that, back in the day.

Even more happy with Laguna Seca. The IR18 only had 2 (3) tracks usable - Indy Oval + Road, Portland - and this adds an important one. I am also a bit surprised because this track is NOT part of the NASCAR Ignition license. That game also has Road America, Watkins Glen, Texas Oval and then some past tracks like COTA, Michigan, Sonoma, Pheonix and Pocono. Hopefully, since they seem to say other content is coming, we'll see one of those to show that licensing pipeline is available.

I also have not tried the Release Candidate yet. That really did seem to be a beta, not completely finished/polished and a final check before promotion. I like the sounds (pun intended) of the new sound engine, and also the AI "logic" improvements and wet weather improvements might finally make that viable with the AI. Now we just need fixes for the AI "driving", especially the on/off throttle behavior.

DaREALMastaD likes this.
  13. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Sonoma Phoenix Watkins.. man this is what i want to see..!

14. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Has the RC been updated today?

15. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

I don't think the onboard sound is still low on a lot of cars. For some, the sound is normal.
    The telemetry display for speed and g-force doesn't work either!
    Not looking for an RC update.?

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes. From discord announcements (pasting as text):

Release Candidate Update
    Steam ID:8652502
    Dedicated ID:8652505

-Fixed an issue with shift events
    -Fixed invisible cars playing sound (private practice)
    -Fixed a bug when reloading sound definitions
    -Fixed billboarding of driver labels for non-VR users
    -Fixed Push to Pass MinStartSpeedKPH
    -Changed Push to Pass ThrottleRequired to Push2PassActivateThrottleThreshold and Push2PassDeactivateThrottleThreshold
    -Fixed Push to Pass MaxUses
    -Fixed water and oil temps (but maybe this was in previous already?)
    -Fixed Sparks showing at low speeds
    -Fixed Using both paddles to go to neutral

17. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

they must fix when we reset the setup to Default the red clikcs that shows the difference from default setup to reset aswell and not keep them like they never reset

avenger82, jayarrbee36 and Flaux like this.
  18. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Well that’s good news - I was right about P2P and the alternative neutrals then!

The big question for us (I.e. those running dedi servers online) will be whether the issues many people had with the client upgrade/rollback have been addressed. If I can’t be sure our client base can join an RC server, I won’t be able to upgrade the dedi…

PS - where is the non-Discord announcement?:(

19. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Q2 build release on next Monday.

MikeV710 likes this.
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Car sound updates:

upload_2022-5-5_6-38-21.png

(if you noticed an update to your RC, this looks to be it - no other announcements)

mesfigas, lagg and davehenrie like this.