Apex Modding GT3, Emery's base setups

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Emery, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

Updated Mercedes.

2. Emery

Emery Registered

15 Minute Exercise for the Reader

Ever hear a sim driver complain a car feels floaty and skates around and their first reaction is to blame the game physics or tire model? Nah, nothing wrong with the physics, rather it is a problem with the shocks, the slow rebound is too low relative to the slow bump at both ends of the car (if you're tuning with compression bias).

To demonstrate, take my current BMW z4 to Silverstone. This setup has a bit of aero push to contend with, so make sure you can complete 3-4 laps to find the line & braking points you need to drive. Right, so now increase slow bump by 3 clicks at both the front & rear and go do a couple more laps. We've changed nothing regarding the chassis balance, so braking points and corner grip are unchanged. Feel the difference? Are you more confident driving the increased slow bump?

So, heh, yeah, I released that setup a bit too quickly, but it serves as a good object lesson in tuning, as if I planned it that way :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016
    Jake Loewenstein likes this.
  3. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Emery thank you for sharing this informations and setups.
    After I have my rig online again (I've mounted now the third beamer [emoji57] )
    I will try it out.
    Would be nice to see you on 09.01.2016 at our next APEX GT3 race on track [emoji41]

4. Emery

Emery Registered

It would be fun! Alas, I'm still on satellite internet only and doubt the 800-900 ping would be appreciated, though you'd get a laugh from the warping.

5. hak

hak Registered

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Wow, the 799 (base set-up; haven't tried Emery's yet) is the one car in all of rF2 that I would say feels the LEAST like driving on ice. Are other cars worse for you, or are you perhaps forgetting the 799 is a rear-engined, rear-heavy car that has to be driven differently than the front-heavy cars we normally drive?

7. hak

hak Registered

I don't have any problems driving the 799 with my setups. Depending on the track I can keep pace with the AI at 95%-105%. I spend the most time driving the Porsche mods in several simulators\games and have been for several years. I also enjoy driving the BT20 and the Eve and Spark F2.

Can anyone here drive the 799 with emery's setup @ Gotham Hills AI @ 100% and keep the pace for 40 laps? Without loosing the rear.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The value of the differential settings always kill my laps at some point.

9. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Sry did not know that :p.

10. yoss

yoss Registered

bad news :)we can't race together :(

11. Emery

Emery Registered

As you may notice, I have a preference for very stiff spring rates, trying to push the envelope. Doesn't always work with compression bias shock tuning, like at Mid-Ohio, so drop the spring rates 20%, rebalance springs, readjust camber on the skidpad, and you'll be back in the ballpark for tuning the slow rebound. The softer springs are probably a more middle-ground base setting than my posted ones.

12. bwana

bwana Registered

Thanks Emery. Great post . Always looking for alternative sets .

13. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

On the topic of dampers and spring rates... I fiddled around with my suspension analyzer and just threw together a setup that was ~3.0Hz stiffness front/3.2Hz stiffness rear and dampers set at 65% critical damping for the low-speed movements. 35-ish% for the high-speed movements. Other than that, just added a bit of front and rear bar to get the overall roll stiffness in the ballpark of what Emery's roll stiffness is/was on his setup.

Give this setup a try and let me know what you think. I ran a 15 lap stint at Sebring and the car wasn't phased at all by bumps or curbs. Tires felt good the whole run until my driving got a bit sloppy from being tired.

AM Camero Setup

14. yoss

yoss Registered

15. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

Awesome idea!

16. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

Here's a 799 setup I threw together. My spring/damper/bar settings with everything else from Emery's setup. Entry to Turn 17 at Sebring is a bit hairy with this one. If given the ability to, I'd probably like a bit more lockup under coast in the diff to tame it a bit (maybe a couple of clicks more preload if it doesn't affect overall turn-in too much???)

I've found the 799 not *quite* as quick over one lap as the Camero from last night (I got down to a 2:01.4 for a couple of laps). However, over the course of a longer stint, this is the car to have. It just begs to be thrown around a bit. My lap times were all between 2:01.8-2:02.5 at Sebring during a 15 lap run.. This car is so much fun to drive.

One observation: The Traction Control seems a bit too invasive relative to other cars. I'm guessing it's because it doesn't have the amount of torque say, the Camero has. Driving the Camero last night, I found that you use the TC as a guide to how the rear is being used with your right foot. The 779 I found that you can lean on it a LOT more. So much so that I felt as though it was intervening more than needed. At times it seemed to induce understeer, as it wasn't allowing quite enough torque to rotate the car as you fed throttle back into it for corner exit. Turned it off (from 'Low) a few laps in and my times immediately dropped 3-4/10ths.

P799 Base Setup

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2016
  17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

How much rubber? Despite the diff issues these should not be lapping higher than a 2:01 at Sebring, with light-medium rubber.

ps: except maybe SLS and Camaro (which you did). I'd like to kill both with fire.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2016
  18. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

Given the variability of weather conditions and amount of rubbering in of the track, I should have left lap times out of my post. I set the weather exactly as they were that day (pretty cool, high humidity, cloud cover, etc.), so I'm sure I would've lapped quicker if it were a summer-time weather setting. I wasn't exactly doing much risk-taking during these laps, either. I just wanted to string together a good set of laps. Sort of like you would in an actual testing scenario. You want to drive in a manner that can produce consistent and repeatable laps.

The point was just further exercise in "Hey look, I just did some simple throwing together of a specified ride stiffness (~3.0Hz) and 65% critical damping and it worked!". I'm sure some more raw speed can be found, but I'm not concerned about having a one-lap setup. Just throwing something out there that *should* be easy on the tires and can produce consistent lap times throughout the length of a longer stint.

19. Jego

Jego Registered

Great setups.

However for some reason the setup for the Merc wont show up in my rfactor.

20. argo0

argo0 Registered

When I choose rain tyres for the Apex Camaro, the game crashes when I click race. Don't know about the other cars. Is this a known problem?