Apex Modding GT3 - 2012 (v1.09 )

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by yoss, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Fact is that esp is forbidden since a few years and many gentleman driver are outside in the GT3 series, so the cars has to be very easy driveable. without heavy critical reactions

2. Emery

Emery Registered

After extensive work with setups for BMW, Ferrari, Mercedes, and McLaren (still WIP), the default setups are awful IMHO. Default shocks are just all over the map and you have to start from scratch with all of them. Brake bias and max pedal force also way off. The Ferrari I had to tear down to a "spring-only" setup and work it back into shape.

It's been a great learning exercise to build setups for these, but the defaults could have been far more driveable without giving away speed secrets. If Apex Modding is willing, I'll gladly donate default setups that are more in-line with what people expect (or at least what I think they'd expect).

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I would vote yes please. The more popular these cars become, the better. They will never be compromised for accessibility to newbies with competent set-ups...but many, many people will save time and effort repeating the steps that Emery (or others) already pursued. Why reinvent the wheel or make needless work. Even optimized set-ups will still need a bit of tweaking to suit your personal driving style or preferences, but being delivered 90% of the way there is how a real racer driving for a real team would experience the car. They wouldn't think of letting someone drive the car if there was a known higher risk of an off or even just slower lap times.

4. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

I already have sent them a setup for the Ferrari which is in testing for a while. First feedbacks are good.[emoji4]
    So I would suggest you to send them your setups and see what happens...

5. Lgel

Lgel Registered

You are wellcome to publish your setups for everyone to try and use them, there is already a dedicated section in this forum for ISI cars and tracks (which has very little life).

You can create a thread for APEX GT3 mod or use:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/27658-Sharing-Setups?p=406141&viewfull=1#post406141

no need of APEX GT3 modding team endorsement for that.

If you still believe that setups are universal and absolute, and that you know what people expect, go for it.

The same car in RF2 with the same setup will be very differently evaluated by two drivers even if both are very experienced.

I have downloaded more than 50 setups for RF2 cars, only one made by David O' Reilly worked for me (some of his setups were too edgy for me, as he is a far better driver than I am).

Default setups were derived from race setups (from beta testers or from me) tuned using telemetry, with the goal of controlling tire wear on long stints as well as speed.

They have more understeer tuned in because less experienced drivers struggle when the car looses it's tail on the limit. We left brake balance and strength to be defined by users.

Default setups were tamed down by doing the following:

- more rear wing
    - softer rear ARB and rear springs
    - stiffer front ARB and front springs.

They are perfectly drivable for me, and I checked that with them I could beat AI at 100 % in Portugal (I define myself as an average driver).

I am sorry no to agree with the idea that you will loose your time working on setups as someone said, this tunability of RF2 cars is what makes them different from Mario Karts (excellent game in it's genre), for good or worse RF2 is a very technical sim, and by the fact, not the better suited for people looking for instant rewards.

Cheers and happy new year.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2016
  6. Lgel

Lgel Registered

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...T3-mod-(0-930)?p=404796&viewfull=1#post404796
    Cheers.

7. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Registered

8. gkz

gkz Registered

i say critical reaction in terms of good oversteer without aids if u want to have it when u make ur setup. u understand that they play with 3 aids ? that is why it is so easy driveable. there videos from uwe alzen who explains the setup and behaviour of the z4 in detail parts. For example a gt 3 car is allready from the basics more oversteer than a egt z4 with has no aids. I just want that mods getting better and thats my opinion if the rest says it has no understeer its just setup ok than. I could not fix anything in setups.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2015
  9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Maybe the rear tire wear is a bit to high. I get after 10 laps approx. 6%-10% more tire wear on the rear (e.g. 96 front and 87 rear), depending on setup settings.

//Edit: forgot to report: i saw some strange artefacte today, was my first longer session with this mod. Some very short white flashes and missing car textures

10. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Of which mod are you speaking, APEX GT3 or Flat 6?

Thanks and happy new year.

11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Oups, sorry...wrong thread :eek:

//Edit: and a Happy New Year to you, too ;)

12. Emery

Emery Registered

13. mrmat01

mrmat01 Registered

+1
    I thought the default setup are quite good only had to make a few tweeks to suit my driving style I llike the car a tad oversteery
    I think this is a fantastic mod with very drivable cars straight out of the box

14. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Thanks for your appreciation, your opinion is as valuable as Emery's, it just shows how difficult it is to provide basic setups that suit everybody, it was one of the goals of update 0.93 to provide setups drivable out of the box (without any driving aid).

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2016
  15. yoss

yoss Registered

16. sg333

sg333 Registered

Yoss, the Paypal donation link in the first post goes to a Paypal page in French - do you know how I can change this to English?

17. yoss

yoss Registered

18. sg333

sg333 Registered

Thanks

19. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Three 40 laps races have been run on the same track, Mid-Ohio.

The first race was won by Alpha-Bravo driving a Mc Laren, tyres lasted all race.

The second race saw Enrico Tsunami driving a F458 win, tyres lasted all race, followed by Lestrat driving a Z06 and Alpha-Bravo driving a Mc Laren (2nd and 3rd pitted once).

The third race saw Bumble, that set numerous fast laps during practice on a wide variety of cars, win driving a Z06, second was Tosch driving an SLS, third was Chesco on a Z06, (1st and second didn't pit, so tyres lasted 40 laps).

As an expert said on this tread :

"The only car with a well balanced tyre wear is the Camaro , for sure with original physics. You can adjust the Setup with the others Cars, but than you will get an unbalanced driving behaviour. The tyre degradation is much to High imho. I know from a real Gt3 race Driver that they can push the tyres a whole hour without loosing noticable GripThe only car with a well balanced tyre wear is the Camaro , for sure with original physics. You can adjust the Setup with the others Cars, but than you will get an unbalanced driving behaviour."

So my most sincere congratulations to the three different race winners, who were able on three different cars, none being the Camaro, to control cars with "an unbalanced driving behaviour" for 40 laps, with the same set of tyres, on a very demanding track like Mid-Ohio.

Cheers and have fun racing.

P.S. Zandvoort 2011 GT3 real pilot interview:

And yes, believe it or no, he was managing his tyres, as he said "it was all about managing the tyres". The poor guy had a car with very poor physics, very unrealistic, surely an APEX GT3 design.

Nr44 Heico Motorsport Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3
    “We are happy. The target was to bring the team championship home. I had a pretty bad qualifying; I couldn’t find a free lap to do a time. My target in the qualifying was to do at least as fast as Dominik did, but that wasn’t the case. We started from 12th. I had a pretty good start. After that, it was all about managing the tyres and trying to give Dominik the best car possible, and that’s what I did. I was behind the little train in front of me which had a good race pace in the first stint, but I was checking my mirrors more than I was looking ahead, managing my tyres. Then I gave Dominik the car and he was lapping 2 seconds faster than the cars in front of him, and that’s what I was supposed to do and that’s what I did. We’re very happy to have the team championship in our pocket.”

http://gt3europe.com/reports.php

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2016
  20. Ernie

Ernie Registered

How was the tyre wear at the end of the races? Are these guys had driven with (almost) default setups?