Anyone know a way to fix the AI brake checking when passing cars that use pit path?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by daredbarn, Feb 16, 2016.

1. daredbarn

daredbarn Registered

Just an example....

I am trying to fix the AIW at one of the coverted Daytona ovals for the stock cars. More of a "let's see if I can do this" more than anything. So far, I've got the AI working correctly on pit in and pit out, finding pit spots, etc. One of the more pronounced annoyances is getting the cars that are running at full speed (190-200 MPH) from not giving that instantaneous stab on the brakes as they go by AI cars that are following the pit exit path. Normally, it's not a major slowdown, but in a pack, 10 MPH causes some issues. There is a good amount of distance between(2 car widths?) the two cars but still get that quick brake stab from the AI. Tried moving the paths farther apart, went all the way through and separated the corridors from the main/pit paths in the AIW from the pitout through turn 2, etc but can't seem to keep them from doing it. It helped right at pit out(they were seeing and checking up for parked pace car I think where corridor went all the way over to inside wall), but they still do it going down the rest of the front stretch into turn 1. Any one know of a tweak or some other area to mess with in the AIW. It's not a showstopper as they still seem to race well(and pitting doesn't last more than a few laps), but it surely is annoying and something I would like to fix.

2. R Soul

R Soul Registered

This is just a hunch but double check the corridors. Maybe the track and pit overlap and confuses the AI.

3. daredbarn

daredbarn Registered

Thanks for the advice.

Well, what I am having trouble understanding this why it made a difference for right at pit exit and not for the rest of the pit exit path. The wall of pit road ends a bit short of the actual pit lane. I was seeing some checking every time an AI car went by that area. Did some digging, and learned about the corridor thing. Manually edited that location, and it fixed the issue there from what I could tell. Decided to expand on that and did the same thing for the rest of the straight down into turn 1 but it didn't help. No overlaps. I even went to the point of creating a gap between them so there is some distance between the defining ends of the corridor racing area...still no luck.

At the same time, just ran a short race as a test, and found out there are other issues too. :) Green never flies(cars slow at start, pace car doesn't come out at right time, etc). So I have some other stuff to sort out too.

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Hmm, from memory I think that the collision corridors (the blue lines) could also have an effect on the issue you're describing.

If memory serves me correct, the MAIN and PIT collision corridors should not be touching each other.
    Maybe check that, and if they are touching, try moving them apart and see if that has any positive effect.

5. daredbarn

daredbarn Registered

Well, I will have to admit, I don't know how to make the blue part of the lines shorter/non-existent if there is a way.

6. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

7. daredbarn

daredbarn Registered

8. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

It sounds like you were given the answer above and the PDF tells you how to move the corridors

SHIFT + Arrow Keys Used to adjust racing lines and corridors at each selected way
    point. Pressing the above combination plus the ALT key will fine-adjust the line.

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah, go into the "show/hide" menu, hide everything expect the MAIN and PIT waypoints.
    Then click "show collision corridors". Then alternate between showing and hiding the MAIN and PIT waypoints, so you get a clear idea about how much they overlap each other.
    Then select whichever waypoints you need to adjust the corridors of, and use SHIFT + arrow keys (up/down moves the corridors left of the WPs, left/right moves the corridors right of the WPs) until there is a tiny gap between the MAIN and PIT corridors.

10. daredbarn

daredbarn Registered

Ahhhh

Well that just smacked me in the face. Just dawned on me about the post above referencing the collision corridors. Until just now, I was just thinking about the corridors which I created gaps for. Your menu reference to the collision corridors kicked on the lightbulb. Will have to tinker with that one. The "blue line" is what shows up when adjusting the "corridors" so I misunderstood when he was talking about the blue line of the collision corridors.

Thanks for that, and to the person that mentioned it before even know I looked right over the reference, thank you as well. :)

11. redapg

redapg Registered

Some Time ago i wrote a little "Tutorial" that maybe can help in this Case.

12. daredbarn

daredbarn Registered

Actually, that was the guide that initially got me started on messing with the corridors to begin with so thank you for that.

Just a little update...finally figured out it's the sum of everything. Moved the corridors and the collision corridors and still had the issues. Wasn't until I went back and deleted the branch connections also that it finally fixed it.

Now comes the time when I have to decide how much time I want to invest. From the looks of it, the AIW editor is a bit broken when it comes to deleting branches. You cannot select both sides of the branch and click delete. The message comes up saying "more than one point selected". Okay, fine...no biggie...I'll just select one point and "delete branch". Sorry, denied, as the editor does not bring up the menu. Instead, you have to select, unselect, and select the point again in order for the menu to show up. So it takes three actions over a point to be able to remove the branch. Couple that with the fact that I have about a mile worth of track to do and I am bound to end up with carpel tunnel by the time I'm finished. Funny thing is, it works fine for the very first point you try to select and remove the branch for, but every other point, you have to highlight/unhighlight/highlight in order to get the menu option. Just a little beyond annoying. At this point, I almost feel like it would be easier to create a wall on the yellow line, automatically create the corridors, and then go back in and delete the wall...and I have no idea how to use 3Dmax. :)

If anyone by chance knows a key shortcut or a way to delete multiple branches at once, I'm all ears and would be in debt to someone, but I'm not sure I have enough patience to go the route I have been going to get those branches deleted.

Edit...turns out, the "single point" to delete branch was a part of the changelog for Dec, build 1036. That's probably when the other bug occured with the menu I'm assuming.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
  13. redapg

redapg Registered

It would be nice if you could post this in the Bug-Report-Section. It there has a higher Possibility that an ISI Member reads it. ;)

14. daredbarn

daredbarn Registered

Appears as though I cannot start a new thread in that forum, so not sure where to go from there.

The same thing also fixed the lack of green flag at start. It would appear that it does not care about collision corridors...more just the corridors and waypoint branch connections for anyone that may come across this thread down the road and have the same issues.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

example:

Belgium ai: if they all took a slightly wider racing line and didn't cut the start of the pitlane line would improve it heaps.

As it is with ai or online I always go far left in gentle arc almost hitting the Race Marshall at start/finish then pointing back towards the end of the pitlane line.

That keeps you out of the way of any baulked ai and if need be you still have the grass to take to. ;)

16. daredbarn

daredbarn Registered

Nevermind, found a way to post the bug reports. Actually found another bug in that you cannot delete branched waypoints in a turn...or atleast a banked turn. The lines will show removed, but reappear once you reenter the editor. Tried with both mouse and hotkeys, neither work correctly.

Bit frustrating finding that one out after I spent a half hour removing branches from the entire turn 1/2 at Daytona.

17. redapg

redapg Registered

If you do such things, you have to save the Waypoints, leave the Track to the Main Menu and enter it again without leaving the DevMode, to get them assumed.
    If you just go to the Garage and enter the Track again, the changes don't take effect/ are not visible.