Anyone here made the step from sim to real racing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Paul Jeffrey, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Hello fellow virtual motorsport fans!

Much as I adore the ability to fire up rFactor 2 and race in a number of different car and track combinations on the simulator, I'm also interested to know if any of us have used our learnings from the virtual world and put them into play in real motorsport?

Has anyone here taken the plunge into real racing, and how did you find the differences between rF2 and the real deal?

Curious to know your thoughts and experiences (will also use as a case study to convince my wife to let me get a race car.....!)

Cheers

2. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Igor fraga

3. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

I pretty much went the other way. Grew up racing karts, than SCCA, IMSA and first tasted Simracing in 1998 with GP Legends.

Racing ain't cheap, for example, I've spent far more on tires over a single week than I have in my dedicated sim setup. If you're planning on buying/building your own car/kart keep in mind just how much time thats going to take away from the wife. It takes a special wife to support a racer. I've got one.

Go for the most bang for the buck. Shifterkarts. In the USA we prefer a Honda CR125 power over the Formula ICC due to the lower operating cost, but even the ICC offers a better and more affordable platform than a Formula Ford.

Paul Jeffrey likes this.
  4. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Yeah man, I can image this happens a lot. To be honest it was the same for me, I got myself in a position where I was ready to take the plunge into real racing, then we had a child and quite obviously plans changed, so I found myself more concentrated on upping the stakes with the sim gear to try and compensate!

5. Filip

Filip Registered

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Dennis Lind used to post in the rF2 Discord and he raced the GT Pro so you can ask him about this stuff
    Not sure if he is still there, he has been pretty disappointed as he has been giving feedback but nothing changes

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I’ve done quite a few track days really as a result of sim racing

the G’s are annoying + the thought of damaging the car neither of these annoyances are present in sim racing
    win win

8. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Indeed it does happen a lot. I took breaks from road racing to raise my son & daughter, although that included 15 years of karting with my son. My son would tell you that karting taught him far more than his two engineering degrees (BSME+BSEE) have. Best time of my racing life was racing shifterkarts with my son for 7 of those 15 years.

9. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

So my thoughs were accurate regarding fearing damage but i dont quite agree on the g forces.