Anyone from ISI at E3?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grubby, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Grubby

Grubby Registered

Just what the title says.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No. Gjon usually goes to GDC only. Time better spent developing than talking at this point.

3. Bart S

Bart S Member

Good stuff, more hands on deck.

4. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I strongly disagree, but my opinion doesn't count for much. :)

5. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

.......what the hell is wrong with you?

6. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Annual "opposite day" in Olympia. Don't worry.

7. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

What's wrong with his post?

8. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Nothing?

Allow me to clarify: I think ISI is making a mistake by not self-publishing rF2 on the PS4. Sony is incredibly friendly to indie devs and I think a console version of rF2 would make a killing at $15-20, especially if it was ready within the first six months of launch. I realize it wouldn't be the full rF2 experience (no community mods, no custom skins, etc) but I think the stock ISI content would be a smashing success as it is.

Some people think I'm crazy, but it sounds like Assetto Corsa will eventually release on the PS4 and I'm confident that I will be justified when that happens. PS4 gamers won't have a proper racing sim until sometime in 2014, which means there's a fantastic opportunity for whoever fills that void.

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

ISI makes most of their money off commercial business. Not the gaming industry. Besides, porting a game to the PS4 isn't as simple as changing a compiler option.

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Indeed, and lets not go that way please, if a company has to decide which market is better for them, console or pc, they might decide to dedicate to console, and give us the port.

Better not make ISI aware of consoles so shhh :p

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I've also already said no.

12. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Hence the "my opinion doesn't count for much" statement. :)

ISI is free to do whatever it wants, but I still think ignoring the PS4 is a mistake.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I can see where you're coming from and that's why Kunos will take advantage of that market as they''ve had more time to prepare and research (as pCars are aswell), thing is as has been mentioned it's not a simple convert to PS4 for ISI to do. If they were to take that route the progress for the PC would be 1000x times worse and we'd get a Build once a year not every 5-8 weeks or so as it currently is....imagine that!!

14. Max

Max Registered

let's get real guys, aint gonna happen. Though I don't understand why they weren't there because E3 is also about PC games too. Would have good to see rf2 promoting their "sim" there. The developing instead of talking part though? Here is the only thing I could find from him in like 2008.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iel7fOuZh0 and this one from 2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBEmg7a3Y8Q so there ya go, he's talking/ on the 2nd link it starts around 35:30 There's something out there with him speaking at a GDC event, but I can't get the audio to come up/ Anyway, soft spoken guy, not bad as an orator. Would like to hear him talk more, and promote rF2/ Anywhere, anytime. Think I will email him and see if he responds :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
  15. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Given that the PS4 is essentially a high-end PC, and that Sony has been really pro-active about helping indie devs with coding, I'm confident that ISI could pull it off. Sure, they might have to hire one or two extra people, but the significant increase in revenue would more than make up for it.

Gamers are voracious at the beginning of a console cycle and the signal-to-noise ratio is really good because very few games are ready for launch. Being part of that initial spotlight could mean easily mean 100k sales for ISI.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah just hire a few more people, easy as that eh!? ;) they've "missed the boat" anyway (not that they were wanting to set sail!) so pointless continuing this discussion...for me anyway!

17. BrokkelPiloot

BrokkelPiloot Registered

I do understand. The E3 is very expensive and dedicated to large blockbusters aimed at large crowds. Even Chris Roberts wasn't there with Star Citizen. They also prefer GDC and PAX like events and their budget is way bigger. I think ISI made the right decision by sticking with the only platform made for sims on this level. They don't have the time and resources to focus on multiple platforms at once. It would results in both versions being poor. Also, how many people do you think would be willing to buy rFactor 2? It is way to complicated and the majority of gamers on console prefers graphics over physics.
    With the new annual subscription bussiness model they don't have to sell that many copies and can rely on a solid fanbase to provide at a least an X amount of income each year. Less risky and better for us as well :D

18. blakboks

blakboks Registered

We must not have been watching the same E3 coverage, then. There was at least 1 racing game shown at each press event. I think rF2 would have easily been mired in obscurity; especially since you can't race all over the continental U.S. in it, nor does it have an always-on world that evolves faster than the common cold. :p

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Just because it is similar to a PC doesn't mean it is easy to port. Hell a Mac is 100% a PC but you don't see every game getting ported to Macs. Sure you see more these days but that isn't because it is easier, it is because their market share has increased which has motivated more devs. Same goes for viruses on the Mac. I am sure someone will point out that iRacing is being ported to the Mac. Actually it isn't, it is just getting wrapped into an emulator.

20. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

It's not as easy as flipping a switch in a compiler, but it's not as hard as some people are suggesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fy3oapyqng

The indie devs behind Octodad are fairly inexperienced and they got it running on the PS4 in a month.