Anyone experiencing "lag" offline?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by joker68, Jan 21, 2012.

1. joker68

joker68 Registered

Hi,

I'm seeing a very strange thing when running offline: whenever I get close to the AI cars (about two to three car's length behind), they start to "lag" (i.e., rapidly jumping back and forth in the track). Normally the "jump legth" is about half a car or a full car's lenght. They "jump" really forth/back really fast, like 2 or 3 times a sec.

I've never seen this in any offline game that I've tried so far... anyone else experiencing this?

My specs: Intel Q6600@3Ghz, 4Gb RAM, ATI HD5850 1Gb 12.1a Preview drivers, Win7 Home x64, 1920x1080.
    When playing online this doesn't happen.
    Detail: if I'm at their side or in front of them, this doesn't happen. Neither it they are well in front of me (more than two or three car's length). :confused:

2. Jaageri

Jaageri Registered

3. joker68

joker68 Registered

Thanks, already using this... will try to lower the AA and report (but I'm already using the lowest AA level... if this is the solution, then I'll have to live with the lag, because the jaggies are worst) :)

4. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Try lowering your resolution, and cutting back on some detail. Put shadows on low or off. Plenty of little things you could do, as you probably know already.

Alan

5. joker68

joker68 Registered

Well, after some testing, I found that the problem is gone, but I'm unsure what was happening. I've lowered everything, and then changed back to what it was before (couple restarts in the middle and at least one online session). Now it's working ok... even some tracks that were really lagging are fine now (offline and online). Dunno what happened. Anyway, thanks to everyone that helped. :)

Edit: here are the settings
    View attachment 812 View attachment 813 View attachment 814 View attachment 815

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  6. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

Yes I've seen it too, it seems there is a certain combination of settings that causes it. Mine too has gone away for now. Also 5850 with 12.1 drivers

7. Jaageri

Jaageri Registered

Good news that you got it sorted still even if you don't know how you did it!;)

8. apex

apex Registered

I had this problem myself, but it was during replays. In case it ever develops again there are a few more things you can try. Disabling V-sync (which I see you don't run), setting the Max Pre-Rendered Frames in your forceware to 1 (or 0), and disabling AMD Cool'n'Quiet (Intel SpeedStep for you) in the BIOS is what sorted me out. And that has to be done from within your BIOS if you do in fact have it. Doing from within Windows power management wont disable it.