Anyone else concerned about MSG’s future?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jamesleegte, Apr 4, 2022.

1. trichens

trichens Registered

I've got a fixed IPv4 address so it's really just a case of getting the ports sorted out.
    I've been able to run three rF2 servers, an ACC server, an AC server and TeamSpeak server, together with Log Analyser over the same connection with no problems.
    I've used one of the free DNS services to map a domain name to the IP address which all seems to work OK.

However, with increased electricity charges in the UK running it 24/7 isn't an option; the hardware I'm using is Dell R420 and R610 servers that are both noisy and use a fair but of power.

turtleCZ likes this.
  2. lagg

lagg Registered

rF1, AC, rF2 have leagues.
    There are leagues that use private or paid servers.
    There are very good public servers, with good bandwith.
    We own the bought content and can use it, offline or online, independently of the "manteinance" of S397.
    rF1 become fashion after ISI stopped the development and now happens the same with AC.
    There are a lot of leagues using AC and now is abandonware.
    This is the best scenario for modders, because they know that the behaviour of their content will be the same in the future, because the sim will not change. Now there is a boom of modders in AC.

In any case...
    Long life Studio 397!!!

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    svictor, Rui Santos and turtleCZ like this.
  3. Germano Cervini

Germano Cervini Registered

to me and not only to me but to most of the drivers, it is not interested in MODDERS or unofficial championships, but it is interested in a competition system that is close to IRACING or ACC, the rest does not count much my friend, and this RF2 will die , we hope not!

4. trichens

trichens Registered

I was about go off on a small rant here, but instead will bite my tongue and simply say....
    OM

5. Flipo

Flipo Registered

How do you know what most pilots are interested in? Do you know them all? How do you know their preferences?
    :confused:

6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Becuase as content creators their job isn’t to talk about physics and realism. Their job is to entertain.

But I guess you could do it? There’s clearly a gap in the market you could fill. XD

7. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

content is being created for a simulator....whats most important thing in a sim ? ofcourse its driving, physics ....realism thats quite literally the point of a sim. so if their job is to create content for a sim then they SHOULD have to go into physics side of things(as much they are cable of and/or depending on their audience)....otherwise they are doing extremely poor job.
    this is exactly the reason i don't watch any sim YT channels.....they are useless for me.

8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes, go on, make fun of me, do it more please, perhaps it will work similar as clout chase eventually. I am a simple guy, if there would be 5-10 regular people that would be willing watch, listen, and discuss these important and IMO highly interesting things it would be worth the hassle to me. I did consider writing a blog, which I'd be happy if it would ever reach 5-10 true active followers lol I wouldn't care about finding a market gap, it would be fantastic just to find minds alike, no need followers.

I shared and complemented your last vid about rF2 though, I enjoyed it a lot. It was fair and honest when you said you have no idea if cars are realistic. Most importantly it is fair to leave people deciding end thing by themselves, rather than to be told what to think. So, if it is somehow important, for that matter I have no criticism towards you. I don't say this to gain your sympathy, frankly - I don't care about it.

Simracing as legit simulation genre would benefit from someone like Julius Sumner Miller was.

9. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Registered

It appears that Studio 397 still has sufficient funds to pay professional race commentators to make videos. Perhaps this is a good sign?

10. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

You mean the S397 employee? :p

11. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I think the people @mantasisg is refering to is these hacks that are just using sim racing to further their own online presence and get a following. Most of them probably don't even really love sim racing and just got on the bandwagon recently because they saw it was gaining popularity and wanted to hitch their wagon to it. Their "content" is mostly all cookie cutter surface level stuff and repeating what everyone else is saying. It's not unique, it offers nothing insightful, is of barely any value and quite frankly is a borefest. Views are dropping as the scene becomes over saturated. Sim racing IS physics and realism... that's basically the whole point... and when someone with actual knowledge covers sim racing in this aspect it's usually pretty entertaining to me.

There are obviouly guys that do not fall into this category and what they do comes from the heart and are not "sell outs" like the others.

12. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Harsh criticism but true!
    I admit not having that deep knowledge of physics, or motorsport in general.
    I've acquired a bit of general basic knowledge about setups. But also rather superficial.
    I slipped into SimRacing myself 4 years ago.
    I love motorsport, but unfortunately I don't have the financial means to experience it in real life. After a long research I discovered rF2. According to the masses, it offers the greatest realism. That's why I switched to this camp.
    I came to video editing 2 years ago.
    Since I enjoy both, I started making videos.
    It just makes me happy.
    But to get back to the point, if you don't have the expertise, what's the point? Good question.
    I enjoy sharing and want to learn more.
    My intention is still to let this channel grow.
    And then to invite the real experts in sim racing / motorsport for talks on just such topics. To learn and experience the true essence of SimRacing.
    2 days ago I met an engineer from Formula E at Mercedes in a forum!
    Maybe I can set up something with him to deepen such topics.
    Unfortunately, my English skills aren't the best either, not everyone has had the same opportunities in life. But that shouldn't be an excuse. I am working on myself.
    My strength is that I'm not afraid to ask questions, I'm open and I want to develop further. And like I said, I love video editing.
    Maybe there is someone here in the forum who would like to set up a Q&A with me on this aspect?
    But again, yes you are right.
    I often ask myself why I still do it at all.
    But then I'll work on the next video again, simply because it's fun..

What I'm wondering now, what exactly do you want to hear around this topic?

pkelly and Rui Santos like this.
  13. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I’m not making fun of you. I was only stating that the job of those “hacks” was to entertain and they’re most likely not going to give you what you want..

I also suggested that the best way to get the content you desire is to make it yourself. It’s worked for Barry Rowland, he’s at 100k subscribers now and his stuff is the most niche stuff out there. Nobody else is taking apart a £1,500 wheel rim.

14. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Probably a bit too harsh... most of these "content creators" are decent, I'm more talking about the kind of guys who shit all over certain sims without even playing them, or use certain sims to gain a cult following then try to create some huge drama because they discover that when the physics engine is pushed to the extreme it's not a 1:1 representation of real life. Hey, at the end of the day I'm probably just jelly that these guys can make a living off sim racing even though they're vapid as hell. Anyway, moving on.

memoNo1 likes this.
  15. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I didn't take it that way either.
    Really not.

16. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Well, it wasn’t the intention and if did come across that way I can only apologise.

memoNo1 likes this.
  17. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

No, honest constructive criticism is the best there is!
    Honestly.
    But again, what would you like to see or hear?
    That interests me. .

18. FERNANDO CABRERA

FERNANDO CABRERA Registered

So if MSG sunk do it takes rfactor2 with it...
    Errrr... No, simply look at RBR...
    What it will happen is that rfactor2 stops evolving.
    Some people are echoing that rfactor2 get archived and create rfactor3. But what they don't see is that the rfactor2 from today is quite different from the original rfactor2.
    Codemasters could have milked their community many years of the same sim engine to reach the level of evolution we have in rfactor2 in it life span
    What worries me is actually that MSG takes that approach, and start creating a new sim that have immersive sound engine, or implements me realistic PBR material handling, or updates it graphics engine to dx11, or improve the tire physics to improve the accuracy of the contract patch...
    I really really really what them to succeeded whit using rfactor2 engine gmotor to power their own game... Evolve the engine, and subside it with dlc (that sooner or later i will buy) and leave it as an open engine, so us mod creators can continue learn how to create models, physics, material handling, applying splatter maps and learn new techs.
    I don't worry that rfactor2 goes the way of the dodo... What worries me is that it gets closed and MSG starts charging for a new version that's brings the same that a new patch/Q drop brings simply to milk more money from it.

trichens likes this.
  19. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

the worrying thing is to see that nobody speaks, Marcel has just left and nothing is known, this is really not normal. Stefano left Kunos and from that same day it was known that ACC would continue to develop, it seems incredible to me that there is not a single word in this case, I think I have not seen anything like it.

turtleCZ and memoNo1 like this.
  20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Marcel said, that the Studio and devlopment is in capable hands. That leaves a lot of room for speculation but I think it would be cool if people maybe just chilled the f*ck out and wait what happens before anyone jumps to fast conclusions. :p

Anyway, what's a bit annoying is this whole over exagerated drama. MSG might haven taken more gum than they can chew and they published a game that was released too early, but it might be worth to sometimes check the actual state and quality of their whole product line. And in that sense their last releases and content offerings especialy for rF2 have been outstanding from my POV. Everybody goes crazy about the price of the DLCs and what ever crosses their minds, but having spend the whole day with the new tracks and cars, the quality is really exceptional that I would go that far to call especialy the tracks industry leading. And such quality costs money obviously. If they can refine the whole IMSA, Indycar and BTCC stuff together with the game I see no reason why rF2 shouldn't have more time left, even when MSG failes. It looks good, it sounds good and it feels good. what else do you wanna have as a sim racer?