Any reason why some people are afraid of rF2 and need to dump on it regularly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by realkman666, Jul 7, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I feel that regarding graphics, rF2 has way more "character" than the competition.
    It just looks and feels so much more alive. So many details, incredible amount of details actually.
    I really feel right in the thick of it when I do a race, right in the middle of the action.
    So much to look at, to admire.

The tarmac changes look every time I come around for another lap.
    The sky changes color, clouds block out the sun causing the light and shadows to change dramatically.
    Beautiful light rays cut through the dust flicked up by the cars in front.

Let me just say that I'm fully immersed.

To use another example, in AC I get bored as soon as I'm not fighting for position.
    There is nothing to look at really. Just generic, boring surroundings with no character.
    Lighting is awful and artificial looking. No Real Road. Just boring.

2. bwana

bwana Registered

+1 agree totally , I also agree that Silverstone and also Indianapolis lack the visual glitz of for instance some of Feels3's work but to be honest Id imagine that what its like in RL due to circuit layouts and run off/fencing etc. at the same time they are awesome to race on and the track evolution is just brilliant.

3. speed1

speed1 Banned

I have space for all and support this also, alone only because it is a niche, even if limited and possibly with only a small contribution, the developers should be kept alive, but for rf2 I would also like to pay a second lifetime license, and that has a special reason, such as these people belong to others made the racing simulation on pc's famous and the quality has increased, while others are still trying to achieve this level.

I have for almost all an operational purpose, while I like to use some with a pad on a plasma tv I do not want to use rf2 without a steering wheel. :)

Some other make only fun on the tv with a pad and then only conditionally, but even here I do not have much to say because they are in the development as well, but atm they are almost just boring. Thus rf2 is the best product in development overall in my opinion. :)

Stop to shoot pointless on it and see what you already have and wat all you will get in the future. ;)

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Jimmy has his settings down fairly low too. We need to get some donations to him so we can get a 780 in his machine or something. :)

5. JRoque

JRoque Registered

Hi all,

I'm very new to all of this but I'm having a blast with rF2 and Nurburgring. I, too, started wiping out on my first corner (still do sometimes) but you then try again, and again. I dropped the AI level to 70% and followed them around to see how they were driving. As I got a bit better, I increased AI until getting decent numbers at 100%. I keep a log of my record laps and beat AI once in a while to make me feel better about my poky self.

One thing I'll say is that rF2 is way under-priced. I think this is because it's lumped in with others in the "game" category. What we get with rF2 for the <$100 it costs is a steal considering the enormous amount of work and huge talent needed to pull off something like it. Just got a new build update free of charge, too. And it doesn't stop with the rF2 platform. I just picked up a bundle of URD cars for something like $6. Are you kidding me?? It came with a Hennessey Venom GT-like car that's just a dream match for Nurburgring.

So yeah, I'll have some serious complaining to do when I have to pay a few hundred dollars for this stuff. Until then, thank you!

Regards,
    JR

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

rF2 is very cheap indeed.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1 my very first impressions with Build49

pCARS and AC 1966 look artificial......... like the have been recreated in 2014 ............rF2 doesn't, it looks like you really are in 1966.

rfactor looks good in the same way GPL always did to me.

Where as you say the others get slightly boring.......... no other word for it.

Personally I think the rF2 graphics style suits Historic content way more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014
  8. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i would say its pricing is 'competitive'. its easily affordable, but AC is about the same price, pCARS will likely be $50-$60 tops, game stock car 2013 is $30. yes, its the undisputed king as far as feature level is concerned, but it also doesnt offer nearly the same level of official content as those titles. i think its a good price, myself -pricing it at $44 instead of $50 is a good mind trick...sure its aggressive, but i bet its helped sell a bit too, since you feel like youre getting more a of a deal than you really are (well, i do anyway ;D). but its especially not bad when there's essentially a 'supporter' option to pay double for lifetime instead of having to renew (long term of course itll save money, but thats very long term). if that was the entry fee?? well, i may have bought it eventually, but not for...pshh..idk, sometime next year maybe. if other things hadnt distracted me by then. its a very competitive market right now.

9. speed1

speed1 Banned

......and the old cars are awesome, which at the beginning I did not like but the cause was probably because of the performance of my system when i get to little fps and to much input lag was involved as it later turned out. :)

Not only the look, these dynamics and driving emotion, especially the f3 I think..........madness. Unfortunately I can not simulate these vehicles for the time because I have no manual shifter.

For comparison, I have tried the brabham elsewhere and was quickly bored. rf2 is on another level. :)

I recently saw a movie of jacky steward and was impressed by him and his driving technic, even i don't know if it was the era of cars as we have. :rolleyes: I need a shifter and more time for driving. :)

10. yusupov

yusupov Registered

it was the same era...just faster & even more difficult ;D

i know i read tim said there is a late 60s F1 car being developed, but it may be awhile before we see it.

11. speed1

speed1 Banned

Ah ok, I was not sure thank you. ;-)

12. David Wright

David Wright Registered

Stewart certainly raced in the same era, but I think any movies are probably in the era of wings and slicks.

On the original topic I watched the video and think the poster is paranoid. All these video comparisons are somewhat pointless but I don't see that it was created to dump on rF2, nor that VirtualR, which hosts all kinds of comparison videos produced by others, was trying to dump on rF2 by including this particular video.

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Too true man, too true.

Yeah man, get a shifter as soon as you can and you won't believe how hooked one gets, once it feels like you're actually controlling one of these beasts.

Keep an eye out for a video I'm about to upload; Here I'm racing the EVE F1 car on historic Spa against the AI. I'm talking a bit about the track, driving technique and such.
    I'll post it soon in the "Internet thread".

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

I saw some cars with a wing already in the movie as it was recorded in monaco.

I'm looking forward to your vid and yes i need a shifter for this sort of cars, without i feel not simulating anything. :) I'm one of those dying breed who even don't use hud features, poor simulating, everything else I feel is arcade drive. Ok timings but that's all, no live monitoring or any other gameplay features, just thing's the car offers the driver. :) That's one of the reasons why i need the ffb as optimal as possible.

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah man I totally follow you on that point.
    I hate that I'm still so dependent on the HUD when I race.
    But I guess I'm still what most people would call a "noob" sim racer, considering I've only been at it for about a year.

Funny thing is though, I recently discovered that all the HUD's, dials and plugins cluttering the screen actually makes me a far worse, more accident prone driver.
    It distracts me! I lose concentration when I look at oil temps and relative split times to a car racing half a track ahead of me. It's just not relevant.
    I need to concentrate more on my driving instead.

So I'm heading in the direction your describing, no HUD no nothing on screen, just pure racing. :cool:

EDIT:
    This actually gave me an idea for another video...
    A video focusing on all the things that make me a bad sim racer. Things I need to improve on, bad habits etc.
    Things I (and maybe others) would benefit from becoming aware of.

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

No i'm not that good anymore, i for sure was one of the best you could find but thing's change in life and the priority of thing's your doing as well. There are people out who know me for longer which i brought to this are even better than me nowedays but not because i'm a bad driver in generall, i just have not the time it needs to getting on the top and as well not the same enthusiasm as i once had for it. I like people like you with the same enthusiasm i once had for it and i will always support you guys. When i was trying to simulate something hardcore people called me crayzy but loved me in the same time for that. There are even people build communitys because of the energy i spread around. Now i'm a bit tired but still here, and one of those getting older. It's like a good fighter i also once was, you will loose your speed with every day until you are to aged to knocking out someone beeing 20 years younger. Ok i wan't compete against myself in a street fight, i'm still dangerous and very experienced, but i think you know what i mean :) Still no arcade features in use as no weapons needed to be dangerous. ;)

You will get there and after love, a good simulation, a config which fits to the purpose, the bite to eliminate others, time to practice is all you need for it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014