Any reason why some people are afraid of rF2 and need to dump on it regularly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by realkman666, Jul 7, 2014.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

+1

Though the ffb multi need not be too low and then you accidentally waste some of the higher ranges of forces producible by your wheel. There is an inconsistency of the correct ffb multiplier required per car which means you have to find the right value per car in order to avoid clipping. I think may use tech ades telemetry output when I return to the uk to test each car and find the tight band ranges of csr specific ffb multiplier one can use as a reference point to avoid ffb clipping for 95% of the racing around tracks. People could then use this and depending on their wheel and satisfaction with the ffb output strength of their wheels, tailor the ffb multi a little up or down to that. So mostly older weaker ffb wheel users may want a little more strength which results in compromising with having a little more ffb clipping resultantly. And newer wheels that are stronger can be left at the ideal ffb multi or lowered a bit more to achieve 100% avoidance of any ffb clipping at all. You get the idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  2. osella

osella Registered

It's a big mystery for me why so many people watch, let alone create comparison vids between sims. I see no point at all in them. I could say I hate them.
    I consider virtualr a decent site but if there's one thing I hate about it, ít's the abundance of comparison vids.
    Sim A has more realistic shadows on this *exact one, made by certain group of people* track than sim B, and what's that supposed to tell? Different sims always make look everything a bit different than in the next sim, and what these videos accomplish is they damage sim with worse graphics in said video, even if i't's just one track out of 1000s available for the sim. I see nothing useful about them.

However, I believe rf2's not so great reputation is mostly deserved. Tim himself has admitted the way ISI were doing things last 2 years was not great. A sim isn't the best just because it's slightly more realistic and has more advanced features, if there's a lot of problems, often minor yet ignored for a long time and the overall package doesn't "feel right", oh and communication with costumers lacks a bit, it's no wonder people are frustrated.

3. Ddigital

Ddigital Registered

For me rfactor2 always felt and looked absolutely awesome...if you invest a crap ton of time setting it up. Downloading everything, reading the forum threads to make the game run well and not crappy and then set up some more. Go to page x. Wade through thread y.

And that's the biggest killer for this game. I understand you veterans playing rfactor 1 are used to this kind of stuff. I personally cant be bothered with it anymore. Its not fun. I dont want to load up the game and then do the whole dance around the fire with it again and again.

This game does a lot of things right. But is stuck in 2001 when it comes to approachability. It's disastrous. And yes that word is justified. That's where I would change the game presto.

- Redesign the UI completely
    - Promote online leagues and races ingame
    - Build a car / track / plugin store accessible by web and ingame or at least in the modwindow. One click download & install, done! Hey new user wanna try this car? Click here! Do you realise the amount of steps it takes for a newcomer to get this game rolling?

1. Go to website, read the most confusing formated text there ("wait where is the game?")
    2. Download the core
    3. Install the core
    4. Create an account
    5. Find the Adding Content Section -> more fomated text from hell
    6. Click through an insane amount of links and download everything by hand
    7. Find the Packages folder
    8. Move everything to the packages folder
    9. Install everything you just downloaded one by one
    10. Start up the game
    11. Click through whatever is necessary these days to start a race and setup controls / wheels / graphics

We all know it's more than 11 steps here. Especially if we put in the time you have to invest to find all the user build content.
    For me as a designer where user experience is a big part of my job, this is just completely catastrophic and shows a strong disconnect with current times and industry standards.

UNLESS you actually want it to be that way. Like separating flight simulator guys from...flight simulator guys that like to browse forums really often? I dont know.
    I'm not hating the game. It's just everything around the actual driving experience (after setup&tweaks) that is a total pain in the ass with this game. It's almost sad to invest so much time into physics and then completely butcher it with everything around it.

4. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I Totally agree - the core game is excellent but the time you spend getting it to look and feel good is really off putting. I bet ppl spend more time fiddling etc than playing the game. I even Think thats what some ppl get enjoyment out of. The game is good but the experience... Filled with frustration. Luckily AC has come out and feels exact opposite. So for now rf2 is kinda on hold for me - waiting for it to "mature" which I believe it Will eventually. Hopefully. :)

5. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

That's actually the best installation guide I've read.

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I don't see the problem in having to go through those steps.? Pretty simple stuff really.
    Last year I was a newcomer with no prior knowledge; I managed to do all this in about half an hour.

With AC, imo, it is the opposite; very lackluster core with shallow physics, no track evolution and awful AI, but all wrapped up in a very neat package, with glossy menus, UI and so on.
    The problem is that such a package lures people in (myself included) because it just looks so damn good. That is in my view an "immature" sim(cade), because it feels so incredibly dumbed down.
    That spells "frustration", for me at least.

KUNOS of course behave like they have made the mother of all sims and market it as such. As a consumer you really have to have your wits about you all the time.
    rF2 on the other hand feels like the most "mature" sim out there at this point, just from the core itself. There is no match regarding that. Everything else will follow.

7. Gonzas

Gonzas Registered

Hahahahahhaaaaaaa!!!!

8. Gonzas

Gonzas Registered

Pfffff

In my language..... JAJAJAJAJAAAAAA

9. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I run rF2 out of the box with zero fiddling. I now also dedicate 100% if my sim racing time to league prep and participation so am changing combo once every two weeks.

Guys, quit fiddling with settings (unless you enjoy it) and binging on combos. Join a league and start testing. Find all the tenths. Compete in the race weekend. Rinse and repeat for next location in the championship. Better yet, join an endurance series.

Time to grow up. Yes, rF2 feels awesome but you are missing 99% if the point if you are not testing and competing in a championship.

Is it OK to use rF2 casually? Sure, if you are satisfied doing so. But if not then join a championship league. You may find that you were looking for the wrong things all along. If not, then you'll just have to be mature enough to accept that there is nothing perfect for you.

Does ISi want to have a better UI? Maybe but definitely one of lowest possible priorities from a league perspective and that is where all the magic is.

And even offline, you can have a much better experience with a focus on a championship and testing and practice.

Thus a championship manager would be infinitely more important than UI improvements.

10. Ddigital

Ddigital Registered

Sure. The fact that I'm here states the obvious, I've managed and it's doable. Point still stands. For a game that depends on it's mod community it fails at providing a necessary platform to spread awareness and provide access. Not completely of course and I would imagine there are the legal walls that are hard to climb. But a vBulletin board as your only distributing channel? Meh. Look at league of legends, starcraft 2, etc. These games actively promote their communities activity.

Simracing though is pretty bad at marketing itself. Always has been, always will be.

To each his own and you are right, every consumer needs to decide for himself. I don't play either game right now as I'm more focused on iRacing and don't really care what game has what physics feature. I do have 2-3 friends that own rfactor2 but completely miss out on all the tracks and cars because they are completely unaware that they exist and wont bother looking through a forum to get more.

Once again I'm not hating the game. It is fine and I understand why people play it. But that wasn't the question here wasn't it :)

11. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Another great thing about league participation is that leagues often select the better mods so....again....problem solved. Join a league.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

+100

Great post! ISI has talked about hosting 3rd party mods with a rating system and all that. If they go this route, this system should be built right into the UI like you are describing.

13. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

EDIT: Another +100 for the quoted post above.

The massive number one issue I always hear is "Graphics".

A few evenings a go, on my Miata server, I got some team mates to come over and have some fun races after a league race on iRacing. for a couple of them, it was the first time they had touched rF2 in a LONG time. Within moments a couple had moaned about how it looks. I offered some settings advice and they were happier, saying things had improved but that the sim still looked dated.

Personally I like how rF2 looks though, for whatever reason I find it looks...... "gamey". Certain sims look very crisp, I don't get that with rF2. For me the driving experience on rF2 keeps me here, though. Graphics... meh, I'm not overly fussed.

Some times it just seems like the "done thing" to hate on rFactor 2 for no good reason whatsoever.

As for the video, it made me cringe.

14. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

The official server is/was only 3 tracks anyway, one or two would be enough to demo. Good choice of car, too.

Just to be clear, these cars are included in rFactor 2, not mods.

They have! netKar Pro. :p

But seriously, I think Kunos is just not ready to release the real sim tires for AC and would rather have something easy to drive to attract console players, for now. The physics underneath are quite good, it's just set to kiddie mode. If they can make a better online system, I'll be tempted to play more AC than rF2. The nightmare has to end.

I think Raceroom + AC windshields would be the perfect look for me. Bright, clear, gruff. rF2 is very detailed, but it's also messy and blotchy.

15. speed1

speed1 Banned

Best racing Sim for now and the best driving experience i've ever experienced. The best steering wheel feeling, even with the toy wheels we have in use. Thanks to all the ingenious developers.

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Used to this stuff indeed but defo not liking it. In fact I find myself fading away and just become too demotivated to keep up. have not even tried 770 yet, mainly because I need to set up our servers and troubleshoot and then have to guide our members through issues I myself might not even have.
    so basically need to know or find out every little problem. can't do it anymore. can't handle the mysterious and random MP issues either.

One of our long time admins and tech guys felt the same recently, he went back to iracing and is enjoying big grids and believe it or not, league-worthy race etiquette. so he's having fun and i'm not, I hate him for that :)
    But I don't intend to cash out a fortune for ir so wat do?
    Maybe a sabbatical is in order because I find myself not even liking simracing as much as I did.
    Or maybe become a free-agent again, might be able to hack into my own issues but fed up with having to do it for a community.

17. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

These things are sad to read :( But maybe it's really better to take a long brake from admin duties. If it takes more than it gives then you lose interest to racing also. I have tried hosting so I know. There are definitely highs and lows.

18. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

This is truly annoying. I wonder why can't we have a button to install all or drag on multiple items to install at once.

19. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

You actually can. Open Mod Manager. Click on first item to install. Hold Ctrl and click on 2nd item. Behold the magic of multiple selection :) Click on install - Tada!

20. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

We are used to high and lows, using rf1 from day 1 in our league shows the kind of flexibility and patience we have had :)
    But that was with many drivers, full grids, lots of forum discussions, members annoying us with requests, ideas, tips, problems.
    And then the new recruits pooring in, reserve lists, stewards reviewing, people anticipating on the new seasons whilst the old ones are not even over yet.

All that takes allot from admins but its worth it because you get so much back and in return are able to be motivated enough to get cracking for another year. and onwards.
    In a good community it go's both ways, admins push members, members push community. all win.
    But now, after a full year of trying everything we could think of with rf2, there is just no healthy push anymore.