Any reason why some people are afraid of rF2 and need to dump on it regularly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by realkman666, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Because they have no clue about real race driving, perhaps? They all address casual gamers, not hardcore simmers like this community. People are used to dumbed down games. It's not as hard on your "biological hardware" to play unrealistic or at least not very realistic games. Meaning, it's good for lazy people who don't like to overheat their biological processor (brain). To be fair, it does take some amount of dedication to get into rFactor2, simply because the physics are so complex. A lot of people can't handle the truth. The truth, that they're not superhumans who can take a 90° turn full trottle. It's a pity really, how many people cannot accept the fact that they're mediocre at best.
    Like many of you, I've had years (a decade) of sim racing experience and I still feel like I don't know crap about racing. Since rFactor2, however, there is a slight progress in skill development. Which either means, rFactor2 has been dumbed down, or, on the other hand, it gets closer to reality than any other sim ever did so far.

EDIT: Just watched the video. That guy is not even commenting about any of these games. So what makes you guys so upset about it? It's just graphical comparison. He may not have picked the ideal track for rFactor but that was probably due to the issue of having the same track for all games. Not a single bad word about rFactor2. Maybe you're a little overprotective at times?
    However, what I've said above is still valid.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  2. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Sometime people have no bad intentions, but inadvertently create some. I can't say what this guy is trying to do with the above video, if anything at all, but i know if i wanted to compare some sims in a video, I'd try to do it as fairly as possible, and that would be my mantra. In this context, the guy scores an F immediately. It's just a terrible video comparison, even by video comparison standards (which emptybox rightly suggests are all pretty useless anyway).

So regardless of intentions, ill will, or anything about this videos goals, it's a pile of crock which, sure, you can just shrug off and ask people to relax about, or call it out for what it is. Considering rf2 gets a lot of uninformed hate from some very odd fanboy noobs, i think the latter is probably best.

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

To try and answer the original question...

I have a feeling that many people need to dump on ISI and rF2 is because rF2 makes them feel like bad drivers.

All that nonsense about "racing on ice" and a lot of people not getting the hang of Real Road, the incredibly advanced tyre physics and so on.
    Many people are finding rF2 too difficult and instead revert to their own prefered sim. That prefered sim may be a sim that makes them feel like good drivers.
    That prefered sim might also be much, much easier to drive (not directing this at any particular sim to try and avoid flame wars).

I've seen newcomers connect to a lobby, take the car out, spin at the first corner, and then leave the lobby.
    "Wow that's it, what a s*** sim, s*** physics made me spin, I'm the best driver in the world so of course it's the sim's fault I spun"-ish.

They then run back to whichever sim that allows them to hold on the delusion that they're the world's fastest drivers...
    Racing on roads that don't evolve and rubber in, with out of this world tires made of immortal rubber that allows for arcade-like handling of the cars.

Racing (I mean really racing) in rF2 is very, very difficult. Handling cars right on the edge is very, very difficult. Adapting to the track's evolution is extremely difficult and requires great racing savvy.
    Savvy that most sim racers just don't have, because they aren't used to it. It's just pick up and race the living daylights out of the car.
    Racing is so much more than just putting qualy laps, lap after lap.

4. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I wouldn't worry about it. Anyone who is affected by these videos does not have the faculties to be a sim racer anyway.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Back in the day when I used to run public servers I saw this same thing all the time. People jump on and then spin at the first turn... try again... try again... They do this for 10mins or so and then leave. Or they could complete a lap but I would be on the server at the same time and be 4 - 10 secs faster and they start complaining about how they don't know how I could possibly be so much faster and then leave. When I started running my own league I would only password the server on race days. The rest of the week we left it open and used it as a recruiting tool. It was VERY rare that I found people on the server that were worth inviting into the league. The criteria for me was either they were really fast right away or they stuck around and seemed to put a strong effort into improving. Not everyone is going to be fast right away. If people are dedicated enough to stick with it and improve and actually ask questions, those are the ones you want in your league.

But like I said, it was really rare to find people like this.

Anyways, I suspect your theory is fairly accurate. rF2 doesn't make them feel like real race car drivers. If they can't do it they assume it isn't accurate. Not everyone has natural skill. For example, this weekend I went to a kart track with 8 of my other real life racing friends to have some fun. All of our laptimes were within .200 of each other from the fastest to the slowest. But then the gap behind my slowest friend and the next person who we didn't know was .900 back (not from the leader but the back of me and my group of friends). Within our group was one of my friend's father in laws. He has no real life track time at all but he was basically hanging with us the whole time. He had natural talent. Some people do, some people don't. Some people don't but put in the time to learn and improve. I wish everyone would stick with simracing long enough to improve rather than throwing in the towel and claiming the sim isn't acurite and then going for simcade.

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Great post and I agree on your points.

I felt the exact opposite when I started out last year; if I couldn't do it then it had to be accurate! ;)

I was coming straight from the consoles that raised me with racing games from my early childhood up until last summer.
    I knew that a sim had to be extremely difficult, and seeing how I had never driven one for real before, there was no way around it; I had to suck big time at first.
    Sucked I did... big time.

But I stuck around, asked questions, made every single mistake you can make. And then I suddenly started to get really fast.
    I don't get that feeling of racing anywhere else than in rF2. That overwhelming sense of accomplishment, of having really tamed a car and a track.
    I guess the people who rip on it do not get that feeling... They just want that instant gratification, with zero learning curve. Which is sad.

But yeah, let them have their simcades. Real sim racers know the worth of rFactor.

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Which brings up another point. Acurite or not, it is a challenge. Why do people do any sport? For the challenge. Who wants to do something that is easy? I know I don't want to. So even if it isn't 100% accurate, it's very challenging so naturally it will be more rewarding and fun.

My 7 year old son drives me crazy sometimes. He will try something new and if he isn't the best at it he wants to do something else. I hope this is just an age thing because I am the exact opposite. If I do something and I am not the best as it I will obsess over improving until I am the best. I've been simracing for about 18 years now and thank god I am still not the best... So I keep on pushing. I hope I can guide my son to not give up on things that don't come easy in life.

Here is my son at 5 years old simracing. I was doing the shifting and the pedals but he was doing the rest. All aids disabled:

I built a second row of pedals for my cockpit so now he can reach the pedals and drive on his own. :)

8. Bkim

Bkim Registered

Im having a blast with rF2. Just finished hundred laps with the brabham on Indianapolis. While i race i do not care about DX 11 or 9. All i care about is the feedback i receive from my T500. As i enter turns i just feel the mass swaying en rocking trying to get the car out of balance. The beauty of this game isn't directly visible, so you must learn the appreciate it. That is were the trouble starts for kids nowadays. They do not have the patience to grab that awful skip barber by the *peep* and learn how to drive it. Grid Autosport is much easier: stamp the gas and steer and they are racing. Better looking, easier and perfect for a quick run just before moms calls them for dinner. I love rF2, it is art and the best i have felt between Assetto Corsa, Iracing, R3E.

9. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

All you can do is:
    Support him -> check :)
    inspire him to try it again and again and again -> check :)
    be patient maybe his way will be also successfull who knows ?

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

10. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Yeah, how do they dare to offend rF2? Let's prosecute them, make some judicial harassment and eventually censor them once from all!

11. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

That sounds quite accurate, honestly.
    Even though I appreciate rF2 because it does a lot more, I'm also guilty of not understanding why modern race cars are harder to drive than an old F1, so I stick to the ones I understand. :p
    Thanks for the input.

12. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

They are not offending rF2. They are offending themselves by their inadequate response .

13. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Nobody wants to prosecute or even worse, censor them! People are just upset to see their sim in a negative light, which it certainly doesn't deserve. Same goes for every other sim shown in this video, I'm sure.
    I don't know about other forums but there will be people there talking about this same video.

They're not harder to drive, just different. One has to get used to the car first, then you can think about driving it fast and then you may (or may not) think about driving it on the edge.

+1

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  14. Joe

Joe Registered

Speaking of true Sim, there is nothing close to rF2. If one sticks on the aspect of graphics and looking, then one truly misses a point. He shall go back to Console games, like Forza 5 or GT6.
    I compared every aspect of Sim among the best sims on the market side by side. I can tell you, up today, the rF2 wins every aspect in terms of Simulator:

15. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Pretty darn accurate as to what is going on with many... "sim racers".

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

The sad reality of the situation is that people judge what they want based on how it looks despite the fact they could be making a poor judgement by doing so, it's the only thing they have to go on to make a decision on.

"Ok, that's not entirely true because rfactor 2 has a demo" you might then say in response and you would be completely correct. But is what's given in the demo truly a) the best choice of materials to showcase the potential in rfactor 2 and b) readily known by people through whatever advertisements that there is in fact an rfactor 2 demo and c) despite those few who somehow came across the fact there is a demo for rfactor 2 (if you don't know about it and/or are not easily exposed to it then you're unlikely to ever try it). and d) if they have even setup correctly the most basic and rudimentary ffb setups correctly and also car setups (not to even get me started on some of the cars default car steep provided..e.g. the corvettes which is in the demo! The Renault Meganes default setup is perfectly drivable and fun to drive yet not in the demo?) so it feels good through the ffb (and i'm not even talking about more complex things such as optimising the ffb stuff here because even without looking at that the default settings make the car feel alive and good but some clipping occurs with the default ffb multi more often than not, but it's not really a problem that can be fixed by default because older wheel users such as g25/27's need to have a higher ffb multiplier by default).

17. boxer

boxer Registered

Unfortunately it's not the firs time that this site has used user videos as news/facts.
    clearly they are looking for clicks/activity... which what they are getting...

It's unfortunate that some people may be missing on some great sims due to this... it's like buying a game based on a poster...they can only take it so far before they become a useless sim news site...

18. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

True meganes would be awesome for demo especially if people able to join ISR servers. Also default ffb multiplier should be very low because people know to turn up but maybe not so obvious need to turn down

Edit - Nevermind regarding ISR servers because would need tracks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  19. vittorio

vittorio Registered

@Joe I agree, though I'm using every sim at the moment: Iracing, assetto corsa and rFactor2; rFactor2 for me is and will be the long term winner regarding simulation. And thanks to all your videos. I love them!

And I agree that the demo probably doesn't show the strengths of rFactor2 which is simulation: Maybe (@ISI) think about historic F2 spark with historic SPA and Clio with a short track like Lime Rock Park. These cars IMHO show instantly what rF2 is capable (and they're alot of fun too)!

20. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

In my opinion, The sim is excellent I think. I still think the F1 60s and Howstons are enough reason alone to own this sim. If you aren't driving these fantastic cars your really missing out. I see so many threads arguing about if the tire heat, areo, etc is correct on this or that car. Forget the science of it all and drive these 2 mods.

I have to admit though, I'm let down by the graphics. ISI should have stole the show. Of course this is still "early release time", but I don't expect the visuals to change much from what they already are.