Any info on loose surfaces?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spamsac, Oct 5, 2010.

1. spamsac

spamsac Registered

The WIP shots clearly show loose surfaces, but I was wondering if anyone could please shed any light on the implementation, e.g. full loose surface modelling (surface and tyre), simple reduced grip etc.?

Cheers,
    Simon

2. Peter Read

Peter Read Registered

Loose surfaces was already implemented into rFactor, so I don't see why not when it comes to rFactor 2. Although, dont take my word for it, it maybe not be implemented yet. :p

3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Please don't be kidding, Peter.
    There is only cheep imitation of loose surfaces in rF1. I would like to see a bit better simulation which makes possible better behaviour of grass/sand/gravel traps and improve off-road simulation.

best regards

4. spamsac

spamsac Registered

The implementation seen in rF1 is what would come under my definition of "simple reduced grip" rather than anything approaching real loose surface modelling. That's not to say that reasonable results can not be achieved like this (a while back I spoke to Niels about this and he seemed quite positive about the results from his experiments), but having talked with Eero (who did the physics in RBR) and Todd Wasson (sim tyre guru) on the subject, it sounds like there is a substantial amount that can only be achieved through more extensive modelling of the tyre/surface interaction.

There's an article I did about it in one of the last released issues of AutoSimSport magazine (indeed, just checked: page 101 of the last issue- http://www.autosimsport.net/index2/index.php)

Cheers,
    Simon