Anti-aliasing very poor no matter what

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by o0thx11380o, Jun 28, 2013.

1. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Hi everyone! I've been playing rFactor 2 for a while now and I have to say I don't feel like playing it very much longer. Image quality in a game for me is a big deal. It creates a lot of immersion. I've become increasingly frustrated with the anti aliasing support in rfactor 2. No matter what setting I choose it only looks terrible and I've spent many hours trying every possible workaround. I play at a resolution of 2560x1600 and in most games that looks fine even without AA but not rfactor2. Heres a screenshot of Silverstone at max resolution with max graphics settings and full AA in nvidia control panel and in game set to 8... Instead of 2560x1600 it feels like a much much lower resolution. Changing AA settings also does not make much difference.

Heres a screenshot from silverstone full resolution and un-edited
    http://i.imgur.com/BUa0GN6.jpg

Heres a cropped imaged with the poor area enlarged. The white line in very jaggy and that kind of banding is present everywhere while in motion.
    http://i.imgur.com/6JmcJf9.jpg

This is just a small example that I'm sure many of you have noticed. In motion things look much worse and even at this high of resolution its difficult to see whats going on a few yards down the track when driving. I know this has been talked about at least once before but there was never any resolution to the issue and as far as I know there has never been an acknowledgment from ISI of the poor Anti-Aliasing in this sim or if they plan on fixing it. Anyway Thanks for reading and I hope we can all work towards a solution. I really love this rFactor2, it would be such a shame if this isn't fixed and we can never see the beauty of the art and all the hard work that ISI artists have put into it.

2. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

try setting the in-game AA to off, and in nvidia control panel set it to override the game setting and try different AA types/levels (in nvidia control panel).

3. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Hey Barf thanks for trying I appreciate the help but I have tried that as well as other things with no luck. This poor image quality seems to be just how rfactor2 is and has been for some time. I took a look at some official screenshots of Silverstone posted last night and even the official images has the same bad quality that I have been trying to correct on my own system.

Heres one of the official Silverstone screenshots posted by ISI yesterday. I have enlarged portions of the image to show where the worst quality is. With AA on you would expect the portions highlighted to look crisp and rich with detail but instead they are blocky and full of aliasing. This effect is even worse in motion and as I said before its difficult to tell whats going on down the track when racing. Its almost as if the resolution deteriorates the further things are from the camera. Anyway I really hope ISI plans to do something about this.

http://i.imgur.com/48DpMUH.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
  4. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Have you tried supersampling AA, set to the max? It is supposed to work on everything, but will hurt performance. That is what I have settled on for rfactor2.

5. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Yeah I have tried the absolute max just to see what it looked like forced in nV inspector and it should have produced a perfect image like it does in other games but it doesn't. The problem is with rfactor2. I just hope they fix it when the game is released.

this image explains the problem better than the rest
    http://i.imgur.com/4JpWSkU.jpg